xisto Community
sunsaan

9 Ways To Promote You Site

Notice from jlhaslip:

This short tutorial will show you how you can promote your site without paying a cent to anybody.
1. Search Engines:

Submit your site to few search engines. There are a lot of places where you can submit your site to multiple search engines for free. Try submitting your site every 3-4 month so search engines won't "forget" about you.

There are four best search engines. It's Yahoo, Altavista, Infoseek, and Lycos. They are the few of the best and can bring you the most amount of traffic.

Tip: Most of the search engines don't allow spamming. But if you can't wait another 3 months to resubmit your site, get a redirection URL and submit it, instead of your real one.

2. Meta Tags:

Always use meta tags on your site and especially index page. What do they do? When search engines add your homepage to their database, the first thing that they look for is a special tag with the description and keywords of the page. Place the Meta tag in the &ltHEAD></HEAD> part of your document. If you don't have one, follow the instructions below to create it.

&ltTITLE>Insert the title of your page here. This text will appear on the Title Bar when your page is loaded.</TITLE>

&ltMETA name="description" content="Insert the description of your site here. Limit 255 characters."> &ltMETA name="keywords" content="Insert the keywords here. About 10-20.">

Fill in title, description, and keywords, then cut-n-paste it on your site.

3. Reciprocal Links:

This is one of the best ways to get more people come to your site. Exchange your link with other websites that got similar or different content. This way everybody wins. Use search engines to find similar sites.

4. Banner Exchange:

Even though this is one of the most popular ways to promote your site they don't always bring the amount of traffic they tell you. Also remember that every banner exchange has different ratios, so choose carefully.

I'd recommend you BeSeen Smart Clicks or Link Exchange.

Tip: When you are choosing a banner exchange for your site, it would be much better if it could be targeted. That way, you'll get more chances on traffic.

5. Webrings:

This another good way to promote your site. Actually this method is very productive. Find and join webrings that are on the topic of your site. They will bring you slow but steady amount if visitors. To find webrings search in this huge directory.

6. Recommend-It:

Use this way if you already have a decent amount of visitors, but you'd wish to have more. Using it your visitors will promote your site by filling out and sending a simple form about your site to their friends. Visit Recommend-It for a free remotely hosted script.

7. Signature:

Add the URL and a short description of your Web site to every e-mail you send in your signature file.

Tip: You can also use this method in message boards, chat rooms, guestbooks.

8. Usenet:

Usenet is a great way to find people with the same interest. For example, if you are a webmaster of a music site, find a musical discussion group, and post a link to your site here. But make sure, that this usenet group is accepting this topic.

Remember: Never SPAM in the usenet!

9. Online Classifieds:

There are truly millions of free classified ads programs. A lot of them even divided on topics, so you can add your site where it belongs. They are a very good method to get a steady amount of traffic to your site every day.

Tip: You should resubmit your information every 2 months or so for better results

I think This is a great Tutorial but you have to know a lot more to promote your site correctly

These are truly great tips which everyone should follow. In fact, the first two are necessities for good web sites. 3, 4 and 5 are also good, for linkage.I wouldn't reccomend number 7 all the time, however. Some forums prevent advertising in their Registration Terms. Also, too many links can mess up a site.There is one quick way to summarise these nine points up, however: ADVERTISE! If you frequently and effectively advertise your site, you'll get the visitors just pouring in.

Edited by NDPA (see edit history)

Someone's always posting stuff as their own and not even putting it in quotes or supplying a link to credit the source. But other than that this is some good information that will boost traffic to your site greatly. What gets me though is how they say in that article that the 4 largest search engines are Yahoo, Altavista, Infoseek, and Lycos. But they don't even mention Google, which is probably the biggest of all of those.

I've tried most of these and they tend to work as long as my site is fully operational. I never knew really about the Meta tags thing before although I probably should of. For me it's not that I can't get visitors but it's the fact that I have to keep my site going. I've never really thought of a Webring before, or the Usenet. I'll have to look into those sometime.

Very nice tips I'm gonna work on some of these right away, so thank you really much for sharing :)Is this a top 9 (number 1 is the best way to promote your website, 2 is a bit worse, etcetera) listning?Anyone had any good results following these recommendations?

I use most of those "tips", and actually, those are the main rules of a webdesigner if he wants to put his websites on top search engines results.But, in my experience, you should all forget the following "tips": . web rings . usenet . banner exchangeI am not going to explain why, just trust me, those can get your website drop on the search engine results/ranks, and i know it for sure.More "tips" and "tricks": . topsites (insert your site in the right category); . always update your site 2 times per week, at least 1 time; . Optimize your site for good keyword popularity and keyword density; . Get links from other popular sites at google and at yahoo; . Focus on getting top rank results on google, yahoo and msn only!; . Focus on getting top rank results on google only, if you do not have much time; . Search google for forums where have topics/posts with a subject related to your website, then register there, and reply to that topic, and think how you can insert a link to your website, both in your reply as well as in your forum signature;--------The most priceless "tip" i know:Think, think hard, the above tips i thought by myself, of course, after reading ebooks and articles, but i did not ask for them or read them in a place, use your imagination, Seo is an art, and not everyone is an artist!

Edited by Lyon2 (see edit history)

well, i guess the best way for starters is to get theit links on as many sites as possible... It is then, when google starts to rank your site higher. And i guess your next approach can be meta tags. Because ,there is no use writing good meta tags ,when your page would not even show up in first few ranks of the google search .Only,when your site is ranked high, you get a chance of your site being displayed in top few results ,.. so i suggest people to try and improve their site's rankings before spending their time on metadata..

Thank you for the good tuturial that you found on the web. (lol you didn't write it.) I hope that, that one guy is right about only do meta tags after you are fairly high ranked. I'm going to do that. It is SO hard to get link exhchanges though. The admins of all sites I've tried to exchange with never reply to me!

Very good nine tips. I personally follow quite of them but not all like usenet etc. I think all sites can't be promoted world wide, like my site which is about Indian stock market it can't be promoted outside India. So all the nine tips are not applicable for every site.

very great tips. i already use a few like the search engine submission and the forum and email signature technique. I have never thought of or heard of the usenet technique but it sounds like it would work... Great tips though thanks alot!

Yeah theres alot of ways to promote your site but i think that the best method is google's adwords to help promote your site. You can also pay for an advertisment on their search engine results so yours appears on the right margin of the page. Theres alot of free ways you can promote your site, it seems to me that spamming your site at just about every place you go to seems like a popular way to get the point across nowadays.