xisto Community
coolduck123456

Using, Or Stealing Others Wifi

When I go on vacation with my family, I usually take my laptop with me. My laptop has wireless enabled so it picks up wireless signals. I always get signals in my hotel room, and use it knowing that the hotel has provided it. But when I came home, I noticed that a new wireless signal has popped up on my computer. It is not security enabled meaning I can use it. The problem is, I don't know If I should. My friend always uses his neighbors WifI, but I'd feel guilty if I would've done that. So is using others WiFi legal, and if it's not do the laws vary by state!

I don't think using someone else's WIFI would be legal, unless they give you permission too. Its almost like stealing, and it is most definently taking advantage of someone else's WIFI. They are paying for their internet, not you.

I don't know about the Law in the US of A, but I assume it woud be like syphoning gas from a vehicle, basically, you are stealing from them, albeit, a service, rather than a commodity like gasoline, but all the same, they paid for it and without their explicit consent, you would be considered a thief. I have a wireless router, but all the neighbours are out of range, so no problem. Additionally, the router I have is configured to send an encrypted signal, so others couldn't use it without hacking it anyway.

Lol it may be against the law, but pshwa who is going to find out? loli say just go ahead and do it... but if their internet goes down, then you cant get online through the laptop :blink: that'd suck..... i'd say unless they are computer savvy (which if it's not a secure network i'd say they are not) then they would be able to see who log's in through the router, and block your IP address... lol

I don't know about the Law in the US of A,

Did you happen to see the new movie Borat??

Notice from KuBi:
Ho---Wha---....What? What does this have to do with the topic at hand? Warning issued.

Hmm, let's think... without their permission, it's stealing, and stealing is illegal right? So yes, it is illegal to use someone else's wireless internet connection without permission in almost every country and definetly every state of America. Although this doesn't stop me, it's the only internet access I have (we can't afford the internet ;) ) In fact, as I'm speaking to you I'm using my neighbour's connection... which had a WEP (Wired Equivalent Protection) key which I cracked... I digress, going towards wireless connection security will make me write a few pages about h***king wireless connections, which is not allowed on the lovely Xisto. Although I could write a few pages on securing wireless connections, but this is unrelated to the topic and unneeded. And if they're to stupid or technophobic to be able to properly secure their wireless router, you can probably access the router using it's local IP address and delete the logs of your use before you go home. You can also REALLY mess with their settings, like configuring their router for remote access, or ban MAC addresses of the computers using it so that they can't use it. As Albus said, you could get the router to block IP addresses, although they'd have to be local, and the one's asigned can change, hence aren't reliable :blink: . Basically, it's illegal and immoral to use someone else's wireless connection without permission.

But it's up to you :wacko:

Edited by keri-j (see edit history)

Did some researching and came across this article!

The U.S. federal computer crime statute, Title 18 U.S.C. 1030, makes it a crime to knowingly access a computer used in interstate or foreign communication "without authorization" and obtain any information from the computer. A separate provision makes it a crime to access a computer without authorization with "intent to defraud" to obtain "anything of value." Fortunately, this provision also specifies that it doesn't apply if "the object of the fraud and the thing obtained consists only of the use of the computer and the value of such use is not more than $ 5,000 in any 1-year period."

So it is not illegal, but haking into someones WiFi that is security enabled, WEP or anything else, is illegal and is counted as a felony. But I still don't like the idea of using something that people are paying for. It just doesn't seem right to me!
Edited by coolduck123456 (see edit history)

I also think it's wrong to use someone else's wireless network. Although it doesn't cost them any money because it's a set price (I don't think anyone does it based off hours for cable) you are indeed taking what is theirs. I do do it once in a while though :blink: Of course my wireless card isn't very strong so that's not too often. When I go on vacation I use the hotels but that's allowed and I sometimes use my relatives' but they let me do that as well. Using a neighbors it sort of out of laziness. They have those cell phone cards you should use instead.

I'm not sure if it is legal but i think using other peoples wifi is fine. If people don't use security with their wifi i'm sure they can't be to worried about other people using it. Then again i'm sure there are people out there who don't know how to secure their wireless network. I think its a bit rude and unfair to use someone elses, but i don't think it should be illegal.

Down here, I think there is no law against using other people's wi-fi but I definitely there is a law being drafted up for those that may "steal" other people's wi-fi bandwith. But security-wise, any future connections IMO should really automatically come with a security setting so that a password is needed when setting up a connection.I definitely agree its rude & unfair to steal other people's download bandwith, but I agree there should be some regulations/laws/rules stopping people from getting unauthorized access to wi-fi internet connections.

maybe this person intentionally set this router up to be publicly available? That's what many people around here do to make internet access available from all over the city (and in some places the network of wifi routers is dense enough to allow you to access your computer at home while being on the other side of the city)......anyways, if you don't have an own method of getting into the internet, I'd consider using "their" router perfectly ok - under the terms of fair use: Don't do anything stupid, don't hog up the bandwidth and definitely don't get them into trouble for <illegal thing> done using their connection.

I imagine that it's probably pretty hard to get caught at it, if you know what you're doing - but it is parasitic.

I'm a novice with networks, but if you join a network arent you at risk to it's vulnerabilities in some way? Couldnt you catch a worm or virus from it? I mean, if whoever is running a network can't secure it from you (as the intruder), then isnt it likely that other nasties may have accomplished access to it as well, in turn infecting your machine?

I would agree that it shouldn't be done, but if you're going to use someone else's connection, at least don't use it excessively (ie. don't download movies - especially pirated ones - or other large amounts of data). But I was a little bit surprised when I read this:

Fortunately, this provision also specifies that it doesn't apply if "the object of the fraud and the thing obtained consists only of the use of the computer and the value of such use is not more than $ 5,000 in any 1-year period."

seems counter-intuitive, doesn't it?

The title of this topic is a bit misleading: If I was stealing someone else's Wifi connection, that wouldn't necessarily mean using their Web connection. Just a thought.