xisto Community
BooZker

Pros And Cons Of Mac, Windows, And Linux This is not a whats better topic, its a pros and cons

Mac: PRO

1. using it make me feel like driving a Mercedez. Very solid feel.

2. Hardware and software were built for each other so, no conflicts stuff.

3. easy interface, it so easy it confuses Windows users sometime.

4. You can be sure that OS and its hardware will be develop by the people who really care about quality.

5. Many quality shareware and freeware check out: versiontracker.com

Mac: Con

1. let me think...

2. ....

3. i give up.

Windows pro

1. easy to find every software you want.

2. i can use Dragon speech with it.

3. .....hmm..... that's about it.

Windows Con

1. using it make me feel like driving a cheap toyota. (nothing is bad about Toyota but it feels like that to me).

2. you have to wait for service pack, pack after pack so your pc can work normally.

3. when error happens Windows will blame you instantly.

4. i feel sorry for PC maker who build very great machines but have to stick with Windows.

5. you don't know what's gonna happen tomorrow.

I love the stability of UNIX systems.I used Mac once so i cannot say much about it.But comparing Windows and Linux or Solaris, Windows is really unestable and slow.I also love hacking the linux kernel and soft, i learned a lot using this OS and i noticed that 2 months after using it i had learnt more than having used Windows for 10 years.The only con i found to linux is that most of the soft is designed for Win, but now that wine is gonna release their stable version with full support for office and Adobe products i thinks that they have take over of that problem of compatibility.RegardsPD: The linux distro i am using is Debian

one more thing, why Windows takes up so much PC resources. When install Mac OS X you see beautiful GUI right away. With Mac even 10.4.11 run smoothly on 400 Mhz CPU! nough said.

Windows & Linux

Pros And Cons Of Mac, Windows, And Linux

I used to Dual boot Windows Vista (pre-installed) and Linux, but as of right now I just can't go back to Vista or Windows for that matter.

I have a laptop with Onboard Intel Card, which is fully supported in Linux!

One of the problems I had in XP was a wireless card on Desktop (Dlink 510G). Windows would drop the connection several times a day and was still saying I was connected (Lie!)

After I got the card working in Linux using windows drivers through an emualtior, I had better signal, and the connection was NEVER dropped! This is very useful for me cause I often leave the computer running with a torrent client. I can't do this in Windows! (BTw, I used WPA encryption which is not supported by the D-link applicaiton)

Then there is software. I really like Celestia (FOSS app, that I use on linux), I don't know / can't find Windows version. There are many other apps I use on Linux (Amarok, Dictionary, etc) that I don't have on Windows, or they are too cumbersome to install. In Linux I just go to Add/Remove and select what I want, then click OK and that's it!

Plus, Windows has only one desktop and I just hate that I can't scroll (mouse wheel) on inactive windows in Windows. Also Vista has disabled the "Insert Key" where it replaces the text when you type.

I am no fanatic, but I like to do stuff the way I like it, and Windows just annoys me.

One alst thing, did you know you have to "hack XP registry" to get it to use your RAM properly if you have more than 1 GB??? By default XP will only use up to 1 GB of RAM unless an app like a game needs more, the rest is SWAPPED like crazy!

-reply by Alex

virus freePros And Cons Of Mac, Windows, And Linux

hi, I just have to say, after about 10 years on windows I've never experienced a virus I couldn't handle ... Had years without encountering one and that's just using free AVG. I work in the music industry and am a complete oddity not personally using mac, of course I've worked extensively on macs in different studios and I'd have to say that a con with mac is instability ... I've even lost days of time due to crashed macs whereas in my own studio I've literally gone months or more without a crash ! so I'd site stability as a pro for windows that you don't normally hear. I've never used linux myself but I have to say it looks interesting, I may have to check it out. As a side note for all you open sourcers, I found an open source music programme that I like as much (or maybe more) as logic or cubase... It's called reaper and it's super cheap ... Amazing !!

Pros and Cons that you forgot to mentionPros And Cons Of Mac, Windows, And Linux

Well the pros are so less cause I think there is more to linux

-->Its totally free from any kind of virus,trojans,etc.I havent had an attack since I started using it over 4 years ago.

-->Quite a lot of open source software is available and that too free..Install and use.No pay this for just a ringtone maker or a photoshop or office 2007 etc.Almost everythin has a quality replacement free of cost.

-->Preinstalled suite of applications including your open source equivalent of microsoft office,browser,graphics editor,messenger,mail client etc.

-->Can run many windows programs including office 2007 under Wine(its a software)

-->Best OS for users with basic needs such as surfing,chatting,Document creation and editing,listenin to music,watchin movies etc.

-->Highly customizable.Even the kernel(core) can be modified or rebuilt for PC according to your needs

Cons:

-->Difficult for windows users to adjust in a community environment such as linux

--> hardware support for wireless devices still lacking because of no drivers and documentation from manufactures(esp. Broadcom)

-reply by Mohit Arora

Windows:Pros-It plays alot of gamesUser FriendlyCons-VIRUSES!Open PortsBSODSErrors ReportsMac:Pros-Looks niceGood for serversSecureCons-Really really expensiveLinux:Pros-Has a massive open source software repository built right into the OS itselfOpen support in IRC chat rooms (for ubuntu you even have a website dedicated to bugs https://launchpad.net/)Very secure, no open portsNo virusesNot "entirely" safe, but if you do some google searching it's easy to configure it to be safe.Exclillent driver support, more support than either windows or OSX-ConsNot very user friendly (that's changing rather quickly)Slow on the newest hardware vender supportJust adding a bit more to the pros of linux :D-reply by psinetic

I think that Vista has given Windows a very bad name. A few days ago, I bought a new laptop with Windows 7-64 bit Home Premium, and have never had a problem with it so far. If you don't like Windows but can't afford a Mac, here is a pointer:

If you buy a Windows Laptop with a Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, i7, etc, Psystar has supplied the Rebel EFI for which you can buy for about $50 (there is a 2-hour trial available, but again, its only 2 hours). What it does is you basically insert the disc into the machine and then swap !it out with the retail Mac OS X disc, install and wham. Full-blown Mac. Currently, this is completely legal AS LONG AS YOU BOUGHT A RETAIL DISC, NOT DOWNLOADED ONE! Again, don't be cheap. Apple deserves their money even if you aren't buying it for a real Mac, and you can even get a Tiger disc for about $10 nowadays.
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

My Config:
TOSHIBA A505-S6980
Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit :)
Mac OS X Snow Leo Server :(

Edited by FruitRocks (see edit history)

Currently, this is completely legal AS LONG AS YOU BOUGHT A RETAIL DISC, NOT DOWNLOADED ONE!

From Apple's License:

This License allows you to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time. You agree not to install, useor run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-labeled computer, or to enable others to do so. This License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more than one
computer at a time, and you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiple computers at the same time.

Basically, you are only allowed to install their software on computers made by them, even if you go out and buy the retail CD yourself. This is why no-one has done before what Psystar is doing now - lawsuits from Apple. As a matter of interest, Psystar's terms include a clause stating that you take all the legal risks, and you are liable if you get sued by Apple. Good luck with that :) Admittedly the risk is a small one, but I'm sure Apple will find a way to either detect these installations or prevent them.

To be honest I'm not too big on Apple Macs. Admittedly the last Mac i used was a very long time ago so things may well have changed. But the last Mac i used was a 99 model i believe either a powerMac or G3, i never took notice. On them was Mac OS 9, we used them through a graphic design school and they proved very unreliable for our requirements. I think they were 450 Mhz with 300 or so Megs of ram, but Mac OS 9 was evidently very glitchy to deal with. They were terrible to multi task between Sound Edit 16, Photoshop 4, and Illustrator 8. Freeze ups were common, network issues were a major hassle to sort, they looked cruddy compared to Win XP at the time, etc. At the same time OS X leopard on G4 was brought out and was a huge improvement apparently. But after using those original Mac's i never saw any reason to believe the hype or the words from the few fanatical lecturers we had.Although despite mentioning all that, i have used a powerBook or whatever they call them for half an hour, and based on that brief experience it seemed silky.

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

I would say Linux is still the best of the three even though the Mac and Windows have a lot of advantages over Linux in many aspects. Linux is entirely free and the support you get from users all over the world is simply amazing. In case of Windows you are paying for something weak and vulnerable and apart from some applications like games and Photoshop I don't think there's any reason for people to stick with Windows.

I've never used Mac so I can't really comment on it, but it's out of the reach of the ordinary man and that itself is its biggest weakness. Unless it's available to the public at large it cannot hope to become the top OS. But it does seem a beautiful alternative to Windows, incorporating the security features from Linux as well.

I see that a lot of you are posting a con for Linux and Mac saying that they can't run any windows programs.If you really want flash, photoshop, pivot etc. Then just download WINE. It's free and does not contain a virus. And it runs ALL of your windows programs.

-reply by SoAwsome

Really? 

I've extensively used Mac OSx, 98-win7, Ubuntu, Fedora, and a number of smaller distros and can honestly say they all fill slightly different needs.
Macs are expensive and flashy, specialized in general media. As far as security less threats but if anything actually tries, your screwed.
I don't agree with your comment about macs being more cross-platform. That's just flat out bull. You can put windows and linux on a mac because the os is more adaptable and can conform to the hardware. Hence why apple doesn't want you putting their os on other hardware.
Windows is the best for general use (that's why it's targeted by viruses, malware, ect). I haven't had a virus in years using freeware ant-virus, just use some common sense. It has the most programs and games. 
Then there's linux in every flavor imaginable. Don't get me wrong linux isn't for everybody, and getting started is the hardest part. But its low resource (even with impressive GUI's). Sorry bout that, GUI means graphical user interface. As far as servers it can't be beat. I have yet to see an attempt to compromise my system. With major distros support isn't an issue, there's tons of forums dedicated to it. WINE as was said can support the windows applications. The best part it is FREE. 
p.S. I have yet to see anything bad about vista. 

I'm sorry if it seems like a rant and thank you for reading my post 

My specs:
server-  Engarde(linux)
Main Rig- Vista home prem. 64x  w/Ubuntu 64x on Virtual machine
test rig- Backtrack 4 pre-release
other- 2 laptops -vista 32x
                      -win7 32x
-reply by ***_really?

I am a user of both windows and mac (have tried linux once or twice but not gonna comment on it) and will give my opinion. It will probably be a little biased on macs though cause I am in a school for digital design/ multimedia where most of our software come from macs. As of software for different OS' it really depends on how you look at it.There are many programs that work better for mac than windows and as many mac-only programs as windows has theirs. Games of coarse are better on windows but then again a gaming computer will cost a lot to make/buy and is a complete waste. If you are gonna play games I suggest getting a console. Windows has more costomization by far. Although from what I heard linux has the best. Its like myspace vs. Facebook: mac is sleek and easy to use while windows allow you to do more stuff on it. So in the end it comes down to what type of person you are. If you are looking for something reliable, easy, and fast go for the mac. If you want the comtomization, gaming, and if you are used to the OS and don't feel like switching stick with windows. Also one thing I didn't mention is price. The price of a windows is A LOT less.

-reply by Anonymous