xisto Community
BooZker

Pros And Cons Of Mac, Windows, And Linux This is not a whats better topic, its a pros and cons

Nice comparison but I think it can be expanded a lot, I wont try and bite in because I know that it will provoke an apple vs pc war.

Many new games are also released for Linux. Also there are cool games for linux. The gaming industry is beginning to take notice of the linux market and realised that we geeks too like to frag monsters. One advantage that I have in using linux is that I dont have to worry about viruses. In my college, every system is infected with viruses and if you just plugged in your pen drive, you are sure to be infected. Whenever I use my pen drive in college, I can easily come home, put it in linux, clean the files, and be happy.

Price. Apple hardware comes a premium

When I compare the prices I don't think its that much more money. When I compare the specs with computers of the same the difference is only a hundred or so dollars. Sometimes I find the Macs cheaper.

I got my Linux problem out of the way. I guess you can't put Ubuntu on an Intel Mac because it looks for Windows. Oh well. I put it on my Windows system. not a big loss. So what I have learned about Linux is...Beryl is amazing! It's like Expose on Mac, but with more customization. I actually use it now to make my websites because of the FTP support. It's like your website is just a folder on your desktop or wherever you place it. Very handy. I then your Text Editor for writing my website because it has tabs, color coding, and saves to an FTP. DW8 is to big and clunky when I write pages and pages of code.I love how you can customize Ubuntu so easy and you really can customize about every aspect there is. Best of all, you can do it with tons of support. Unlike Windows trying to block everything from you. Mac is also semi-easy to customize, but not as many options.There is one HUGE disadvantage I have found out though about Ubuntu. There are a lot of little problems. For example, my track pad on my VAIO in which put it on is ultra sensitive and i turned it down all the way and still ill be moving the thing around and it will click on things. The most annoying thing ever. Also the battery timer doesnt work. The % does, just not the timer. Those little things aren't anything, but that trackpad problem a pain in the *bottom*.

I guess he forgot. But here's some Pro's and Con's for Linux you could use:

Pro's:

Most distributions are free (Open-source).

Good for servers.

Some distributions have good user support.

Some distributions allow you to test before installing (LiveCD).

Con's:

Some distributions require some knowledge of how Linux works to get the most out of that distribution.

Not many companies make programs for Linux.

Meh, i haven't used Linux, besides a LiveCD. But that's what i can think of off the top of my head.
You forgot :

Pros :

All the world is developping open-source programs for it , (you can find anything you want but not made by a big company ; and it works fine )

how is mac better for graphic designing then pc

Pros And Cons Of Mac, Windows, And Linux

Hello, earlier I read that a mac is better for graphic designing and I would like to know reasons why it is..Please reply asap.. Thank you

-reply by michael

I would have to say Mac uses less processes then windows does, and so there is more processor speed to work. However, I am not to sure what are the real reasons as the results are opinion based, and I haven't found any facts about why it seems Mac is more suited for gfx design then PC. Still I think it has to do with how much more the processor can use in a Mac then a PC.

As for a interesting Mac vs PC war check this site out, some of the stuff maybe old but I didn't check dates.

However, in my googling these are the brest results I could fine search:Mac computers good for designing graphics

I agree with everything you said if the operating system to be used was for a person with very little or basic computer knowledge. In my case, I have had windows xp for a very long time and have not had a spyware or virus issue (I guess I am just a smart / lucky surfer then), but I do know many people that always end up with viruses / spyware and a really slow machine. In the mac's case, well, I cant say how much I like the macbook pro. But it is insanely expensive :S , I would love to have one since I like to produce music, but with that kind of money I can buy myself a really good laptop with the same specs, and a desktop. :S , and dont even tell me about the macbook, because in my opinion it is crap. It is nothing more than a toy, I know 2 people that have them where I worked and they looked like a fisherprice toy and within a couple of months they had a couple of issues.And linux.... well it is awesome, I like to use it as the operating system to do work and surf. It is really hard for people who dont have much computer knowledge.. which is no problem for me... The only real problem for me that linux has is that many software companies if not all, do not make linux versions of their programs. I know there is wine and some other programs that let you run some programs under linux but I feel like it just wont work as good as it does in an optimized xp operating system.

Real User

Pros And Cons Of Mac, Windows, And Linux

About security- If you bought a car that was the safest on the road, what good would it do with an idiot behind the wheel? No computer is that safe. I think Apple is doing a fine job and I think Vista is finally on par.

Having used a Mac for 20 years, I can say that it has always supported the graphics/design community with font ease/color management, printing features not found on Windows XP. Plus, you can easily process PDF files, JPEGS, TIFS, etc and you can open and convert Photoshop and Illustrator files. All of this works within the operating system without requiring the actual software.

As far as Macs having a price "premium", this has to do more with the quality of both the equipment and the OS. Macs are rarely just eye candy. Besides that, you get a lot of real useful software free! I use my laptop heavily, graphics, internet, music creation. The fun part is that you CAN run a bunch of processes all at the same time. I do have older equipment and I can imagine today's newer and faster machines can do. The quality factor means that in all of these years, I have not had my equipment fail, not once! I'm sure there has been a few buggy Apple computers through the years but none affected me.

There is a lot of software and free software available at Macupdate.Com and from other online sites.

I use all three os' daily and i have to say that the mac annoys me the most, ok the design is nice but the cost is ridiculous! and the way it relies alot on hotkeys and keyboard shortcuts annoys me too, its also very sameish i.e. all the interfaces for aplications and explorer windows. and the fact that the apps menu bar is stuck to the top is annoying because even though you close the workspace you were using the app is still running, still using memory so when you forget to close them down you have like 50 apps running before you know it!windows is the old faithful! leave vista alone xp and 2000 know what theyre doing and do it well, ok they are prone to attacks and vulnerabilities but thats only to be expected as its the most used system in the world! what would the point be in hacking say an acorn these days? the sheer compatibility and expandability this os provides you with just out weighs the other os's out there. and there is just no argument over its ease of use the os has been around for so long people are born knowing how to use it.and finaly linux - my fave. it truly is a FULLY customisable os, right to the point of creating your own distribution [see Linux From Scratch]. there are various desktop environments out there so you arent stuck with one visual gui, the fact that the os is so heavily integrated with the CLI [Command line interface] makes upgrading and customising the os a doddle, also with the new generation of distros out there such as ubuntu, installing software is a matter of a couple of clicks, ubuntu even has an application that lets you search open source software and then install directly to your machine! the support is generaly fantastic as well! most linux users i have come across are excited to learn of another nix user! so i recommend you give it a go!

Seems to me, roooss, you've just decided not to learn the Mac way of doing things. Takes a fraction of the time to click the keyboard combo, [cmd-Q] compared to clicking on the red "X" for each and every window open in an application to close it all down. It's different, and more efficient, but enough so that you can't just treat it like MS wrote it. If every OS in the world were exactly the same, it'd be a less interesting world. Further, like a poster above you mentioned, you get a lot more bang for the buck when you buy a Mac. I own an "overpriced" Macbook Pro, but the hardware internally is the very best and highest quality that money could buy when I bought it. This means I'll be replacing it, out of necessity, later than if I'd bought the cheapest Dell. Or even the highest priced Dell. Go do a head-to-head comparison some time. I think you'll be surprised that the Mac is actually less expensive most of the time. (The rest of the time you can't even option the Dell or Toshiba or whatever to the higher speed chipsets or larger HDs available in the Mac.) The price myth has been busted.

Seems to me, roooss, you've just decided not to learn the Mac way of doing things. Takes a fraction of the time to click the keyboard combo, [cmd-Q] compared to clicking on the red "X" for each and every window open in an application to close it all down.

All operating systems have keyboard shortcuts that do the same things, so no-one can really claim them as an advantage of one OS over another.

Further, like a poster above you mentioned, you get a lot more bang for the buck when you buy a Mac. I own an "overpriced" Macbook Pro, but the hardware internally is the very best and highest quality that money could buy when I bought it. This means I'll be replacing it, out of necessity, later than if I'd bought the cheapest Dell. Or even the highest priced Dell. Go do a head-to-head comparison some time.

Indeed, I did do a head-to-head comparison. I went to Apple's website, and to Dell's website and spec'd two laptops up to as-near-as-possible specifications. Both have a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo CPU and 2GB of RAM, with an nVidia 8600M GT graphics card. They do differ with the hard drives, as I couldn't get two to match. The Apple laptop has a 200GB hard drive, while the Dell has a 250GB hard drive. The screens are also slightly different (15" for the Apple, 15.4" for the Dell). They come with the latest Apple and Microsoft offerings for their operating systems. The Dell also comes with an in-built webcam, and a fingerprint scanner (you can't remove them from the spec).

Results: ?1,299.00 for the MacBook Pro, ?759.00 for the Dell XPS M1530. Considering the Dell actually has slightly better spec (bigger HDD, camera, fingerprint reader, larger screen) that is an astonishing price difference, and values the little Apple logo on the case at ?540! I certainly know which one I would buy.

The price myth has been busted.

In Mythbusters style: Myth Confirmed.

As for the 'cons' of mac "pretty much no games" and harder to find programs for it.

There are games for it, Alot of EA games are being release on mac platform, sims, sims2 sim city, WOW is on mac. Its not pretty much no games, their games aren't sold as widespread as pc games, which i do admit is a pain.

Harder to find programs, not true in my experience. there are a number of sites you can go to http://www.pure-mac.com/, http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/, and google search. a quick google search and I have found most of the software I've ever looked for.

Cracks are harder to get however. but remember, cracks are bad! plumber's cracks are worse