xisto Community
TeeCee06

Is It Possible To Destroy The Internet?

Maybe it is possible but it would take a long time and people from different places would have to come together to shut the internet down.Because it takes long,it will be in phases maybe.Like the first phase would destroy powerful sites eg.Microsoft and then phases two would destroy another site.Like that maybe with a time range of about 3-4 years, the internet would be useless and would have to start from scratch.What do you think of this idea? ^_^

If you are referring that a single person can destroy the internet ...Well ...ITS IMPOSSIBLE.Unless you have some people who would help you in your conquest I dont see how you can destroy a network of more then a million sites.Even with some company I dont think its possible to destroy the internet.But who am I to say.I have never tried it .Well from what I have seen I can surely tell you that it might take more then 20 generations to destroy something as vast as INTERNET

The internet was first made for the purpose of creating a network in which if one computer went down that the rest would not be affected..but yes it is "possible" to take down the internet. How you ask? DDOS every server running a backbone internet line...this would require enormous amounts of computer power and many computer, about all the worlds computers...So the really logical answer to your question would be no, there is too many variables involved.

Edited by rhinodog8 (see edit history)

It would be pritty hard, impossible to do on your own, the only way I can think of is to take down each ISP one by one, although this would only be temporary as i'm sure they would be up within minutes.I would like to see the intenet cut off for a day, I think there would be havock, the internet is becoming more and more important, money and buisinesses are completely, solely dependent on the internet. Just for a day, I think it would be a great eye-opener to what life should be like, but hey, i'm not going to be hypocritical, I use the internet just as much as i'm sure you guys do.

Some people believe that typing Google into Google will 'break' the internet for a split second, these theory's are yet to b testes and if so I've broken the internet loads of times.

The destruction of the internet is not physically possible. The internet is not a tangible object, it consists of many computers connected in a network.
Unless you can destroy or disable every single computer in the world, the "internet" will still exist. Any 2 computers connected together means that there is an "internet"

You could theoretically cripple the internet, though, be removing the main hubs, for example:
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
note: not for slow computers.

If you open that PDF, then you can see a big network, and wherever there are many lines coming from one point, that would be what I call a "main hub"

This is a really interesting subject and i have two options1. Create a virus that can kill all the worlds routers and modems. By the way of firmware hacksWhich would be very difficult, but would render the hardware useless2. Take it down from an ISP standpointBy the means of taking down the ASAM, ISAM & DSLAM, ADSL Injectors that provide you with your DSL connection.But this is harder and near impossible, due to the fact that these DSL devices that provide the Internet connection are isolated in a VPN corporate network.(I should know, i work for a Telecommunications provider)Otherwise unless you cut the Submarine cables the cross the ocean, It can't be done

The destruction of the internet is not physically possible. The internet is not a tangible object, it consists of many computers connected in a network.

Unless you can destroy or disable every single computer in the world, the "internet" will still exist. Any 2 computers connected together means that there is an "internet"

Technically two computers connected together is a network. an intERnet, no , An intRAnet maybe.

There is a way, all the countries are connected to internet by DNS servers. The heads are .net .com .org, etc. If you can put down this 4 or 5 servers the people could only enter the internet with the IP of the web. As most of the people doesnt even know what is an IP they will say that internet is over.Anyway i find it almost impossible because the securuty of this servers. But sometime we should try to do this.Who joins?

True thatIs It Possible To Destroy The Internet?

Replying to NigaiAmaiYumeI personally don't understand hackers, but I have a small understandingI guess,there arent just evil hackers,but most are,whether small likeplanting a PUP in a file or big like what we are talking about,thereare hundreds of evil hackers.-reply by computerdemeek

It would indeed be possible but not in the sense that you mean,What you would have to do is create a script program that would close down every port on every hosting machine in the world !!!!The other idea is that you could do what china does and put a massive firewall up over the whole planet this include wap and other forms to and basically disallow all communicationwell this is just a fantasy I have lol not really But in theory yes in ractice almost impossible who knows until it happens though

The only way to destroy the internet permanently would be to destroy every computer on the planet, or at least, every server on the planet. Even then, it would still come back as long as we have the technology to make more computers and network them again. The internet is basically like a phoenix - it would rise from its own ashes.

You could do it but it would take people who were prepared to die inside all the secret service agencies, people who were in the ISP's someone in each server room and someone in every town to cut telephone wires...