xisto Community
TeeCee06

Is It Possible To Destroy The Internet?

Reading this thread I can't help but think of the .hack/ series.Fact of the matter is though, we survived before the internet and if it were ever taken down, even temporarily, we'd survive without it as we did before (though it'd be an admittedly huge blow to alot of people and businesses)

The easiest but most stupid way to do it is to destroy internet wires all over the world ;)

Actually, while it may not be possible to remove the internet, it is possible to create a way to stop people from using it.
Have you heard of, "Digital Doomsday"? This is a theory that, what with all the internet hackers getting smarter every day, soon someone will have figured out a way to send a powerful virus to everyone connected to the internet, with the ability to permanently jam the connections. This basically will make the internet useless, which is just as bad as destroying it, really.

Almost impossible to happen, unless you have a bad firewall.
But still makes sense...

I have always wondered if it is impossible to destroy the internet all together... is this even possible?
If it is possible to destroy the internet what would you have to do? Would you have to destroy all the Internet companys like comcast and aol? Or would that not even take care of it?

Just think, if someone took down the entire internet not only would our lives be boring but it would basically destroy the U.S. & other big countries all at once.

Honestly I think it would be hell the internet is a very useful resource. Everytime I want to learn something new I get online and research and always get what i need I just don't even want to think what my life would be like without the internet.

Notice from serverph:
removed unrelated link. please stay on topic. review Xisto forum rules & TOS.

well guys i think the newsmessage from the hacker that attacked 3 internet root servers prove that it IS possible to destroy the internet, since the root servers provide the linking between the webpagesif three of them already made a little lag, imagine how it would be if 10 of those would have been hacked and shut downserious lag or even time outs while trying to get the page loadedi surely hope that they won't get further then maximum 3 root servers, since it would surely result into a hell

funny thing is, what would all the hackers in the world do if there was no internet. there is no software way to distroy the internet, only to stop it for a while is maximum any hacker could do. there is no possible software way to send virus that would permanently destroy internet - just think about it for a while. virus needs to be powered with some kind of hardware, it can't "live" in wires. best way, as someone here wrote, to destroy internet is to go and cut all the wires connecting root computers around the world. but probably then they would find a simple way to send signal from satelites on earth to satelites up there, and then we wouldn't even have wires. then hackers would need to find a way to distroy satellites orbiting earth. i think if they wrote a program in C they could do that.. lol...

The internet is one giant network of computers. The websites you go to are hosts with applications on them that, when requested, will send the web page to your computer. I'm thinking the only way that the internet could be completely taken out is if all the computers in the world were fried. You can host your own web page with your own computer with the right software so it would be just about impossible to destroy the internet ( short of using a massive electro static charge). Very interesting topic though. If someone did manage to destroy the internet I think I'd die :P.

Wasn't it Archimedes who claimed: "Give me a place to stand and with a lever I will move the whole world"

Of course it can be done - anything can be done.

First, take out the com-sats. All of them. A powerful enough planet-based laser should do it. This should cripple the international net.

Next, country wise - this may not be so easy, but give me enough resources...

With resources, high-altitude nuclear detonations over major cities to create massive Electro Magnetic Pulses should be just dandy.

Also, target major production-centers/servers for devastating, full-scale ground-based nuclear blasts. A few of those and I guarantee no human will want a major server/computer manufacturer next door.

Right, I agree, the people, governments, etc. would unite to crush you. However, with resources, I believe the net could be taken down. I also believe there will be no place on earth for to hide for the one who does all the above, hehe

Edited by Yratorm, LightMage (see edit history)

I think the whole internet can be taken down or destroyed by attacking the main root DNS servers. Because these root servers have all the records of a very large number of sites and their related ip addresses. working on just ip addresses will be very difficult for persons. Its the DNS or root name servers which do the resolving of names to the ip addresses and once they r down the whole internet will suffer and they r few in number too.

Edited by Abhay (see edit history)

I was talking with my professor and advisor at school and he was telling us about some hackers that got into and almost crippled the internet. He said something like there is a place htat has huge servers and computers that run the internet. There is something like 14 computers that do it all and some hackers were able to get in to 3 of them. That's pretty scary when you think about it. One thing's for sure...if someone were to take out the internet....somebody would work harder just to get it back up and running. It'll be interesting to see if anything crazy happens in the next few years with these e-terrorists lol.

It is, in theory, such a possibility for destroying the whole Internet. At the same time, destroying all electronics in the process. It's if a nation decides to blow the world's economy by dropping a massive EMP bomb. It will take us a good half of a century to repair this damage. It will cost us quadrillions of dollars to fix this.xboxrulz

I don't think you are able to destroy the internet unless you destroy every configuration in the world which is not possible seeing as there are so many countries in the world and so many servers to take down. If anything, the internet will be destroyed by a national phenomenon, and not by mankind. The Taiwan earthquake was a good example, it crippled South East Asia's connection for a few days and it took time for them to actually fix it. At the same time, they had planned backup connection cables, although not as fast as the original, but it provided a stable alternative. Following this incident, I am sure they willl build more backup cables to assist in situations which may occur like the earthquake. But imagine 6 earthquakes occurring at the same time and hitting each continent, if that ever happens (unlikely) but lets not rule that out, our internet connection would be gone. If 1 day, we ever found a way to be transmitting information over the internet through the air instead of using cables, then there could be a solution that we may never ever get our internet connection down due to a natural phenomenon.

I don't think that to destroy the internet. Internet is a "world big lan" of computers connected each other and it has high security and firewalls. Also there are many strong companies, organisations and goverment beside the Internet... so Its so difficult or impossible