xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
master_bacarra

System Does Not Detect Dvd/cdrom Drive

THE SOLUTION!!!

Guys, if you don't mind all the suggestions are failed in exclusion of the hardware problems , If the hardware is placed correctly, cables connected, everything alright but the explorer windows does not display your CD/DVD Drive, it means you updated your computer ( ONLY IN THE CASE OF VISTA ).

First of all, all the vista users, listen carefully; these big companies are advertising Microsoft's new alluring but an Incomplete OS, THE Windows Vista.

IT is incomplete, all vista users will face this problem if they update their computer using the unwanted windows update program which is a headache crap, Update only the graphic drivers and other hardware drivers leaving all those Microsoft Updates.

Try uninstalling the updates, this happened with me too, I uninstalled them but no change took place, You try it maybe it works...

Go to "Control Panel".

Switch to "Classic View" using the pane on the left side.

Open "Programs And Features"

Click on "View Installed Updates" on the left pane.

Uninstall all the updates, the more they are gone, the better your system is. BUT still there will be some updates which will not be uninstalled.

VISTA USERS, TRY REINSTALLING your OS-VISTA OR BACKING IT UP IF YOU GOT IT THROUGH A COMPUTER MANUFACTURER LIKE HP, DELL, SONY, LENOVO, COMPAQ ETC.

OTHERWISE THERE IS NO WAY OUT, you NEED TO BE A MEMBER OF COUNTERFIET FOR REINSTALLING THE OS.

--------------------------------------------

FOR XP Users:

The only problem which can be caused it a harware problem, nothing else to say about it.

---------------------------------------------

I hope this helps you guys out.

-reply by andy

Replying to iGuestReplying to iGuestTo work around this problem in Microsoft Windows XP, follow these steps:1. Remove the modified registry entries. To do this, follow these steps:A. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.B. In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlClass{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}C. In the right pane, click UpperFilters.D. On the Edit menu, click Delete.E. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.F. In the right pane, click LowerFilters.G. On the Edit menu, click Delete.H. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.I. Exit Registry Editor.J. Restart the computer.Note If you notice a loss of functionality in a particular program such as in CD recording software after you remove the UpperFilters and LowerFilters registry values, reinstall that software. If this problem occurs again, contact the software vendor for help.2. Remove the existing drivers. To do this, follow these steps:A. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.B. If Control Panel is in Category View, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.If Control Panel is in Classic View, double-click System.C. Click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.D. Expand DVD/CD-ROM drives, right-click the CD and DVD devices, and then click Uninstall.E. When you are prompted to confirm that you want to remove the device, click OK.F. Restart the computer.To work around this problem in Windows Vista, follow these steps:1. Remove the modified registry entries. To do this, follow these steps:A. Click StartStart button, click All Programs, click Accessories, and then click Run.B. Type regedit, and then click OK.User Access Control permission If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.C. In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlClass{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}D. In the right pane, click UpperFilters.E. On the Edit menu, click Delete.F. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.G. In the right pane, click LowerFilters.H. On the Edit menu, click Delete.I. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.J. Exit Registry Editor.K. Restart the computer.Note If you notice a loss of functionality in a particular program such as in CD recording software after you remove the UpperFilters and LowerFilters registry values, reinstall that software. If this problem occurs again, contact the software vendor for help.2. Remove the existing drivers. To do this, follow these steps:A. Click StartStart button, and then click Control Panel.B. Click System and Maintenance, click System, and then click Device Manager.If Control Panel is in Classic View, double-click System and then click Device Manager.User Access Control permission If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.C. In Device Manager, expand DVD/CD-ROM drives, right-click the CD and DVD devices, and then click Uninstall.D. When you are prompted to confirm that you want to remove the device, click OK.E. Restart your computer.

I have the same problem. My computer detects a driver for the ROM drives but it doesn't detect the drives themselves. I opened up the computer and they are connected fine. So I don't know what the problem is. Can anyone help me?-question by travis

Doesn

I can't even do that because the virus won't let me get to "run" It has blocked me out from everywhere.

-reply by Anne

dvd/cdrom not showing up om my computer

My dvd burner/cdrom doe's not show up om my gateway#702ge xp home edition .I replaced my old dvd burner with a samsung sh-s202n-do.And that doe's not work I checked ide ribbons everything is hooked up right.Now I took the new dvd burner and put back in my old samsung ts-h552 that came with the gateway.If I unpluged the the new dvd burner ide ribbon then the dvd burner lights come on and the door opens up with no problem and still nothing works when you hook up the ribbon -I checked the lower filters and deleted as one person said to do .Up dates from windows all been done but when you go into my computer it says on the E removeable DISK.I don't know what to do if someone has any answers for me please let me know .Thank you

-reply by mark

Hi,

I think you've not put up the jumper settings properly. Do that and it should work fine

DvD/CD writer drivers problem in my pc

I have new purchased DvD writer and conect to my pc if start my computer I not show DvD drive but I show the setup. And not install Dvd drive Drivers so please reply me this problem.

-reply by Jiran modi

First check if the IDE cable is working properly.

Second check for the Jumper settings. This is the most common mistake that people make.

Try setting the drive to Slave or Master instead of the cable select option. This SHOULD solve the problem

Thanks

Well, try removing it, and clean out the connections, and check the connection to the mothermoard.Also, if it is a secondary drive, it must be configured as a slave, and if it is primary, it must be set as master.

Cdrom is detected sometimes but sometimes it just vanishes

Replying to minimcmonkey

Hey I tried changing the cable,even tried instaling another dvd rom but it still doesnt detect the rom. The rom was detected a few days ago but again it was gone after 3 days! The tray can b ejected but the rom is not deteceting.Please hep!

-question by sonu

Replying to iGuestHI , I believe it is not virus or driver issue . It is Vista itself , I reinstall the OS and the issue is solve temporary. It will happen again in about two to three weeks. Will need to fix some thing in the registry . -reply by unknown

Can

I lost my CD/DVD drives after installing Windows updates in Vista along with multiple other problems as well (warnings, color problems, freezing, installation failures)- all systems and both combo drives had been working perfectly with no new software other than Windows and HP pc updates. I tried multiple viable options you may consider:

I tried restoring the computer to a week it worked; I tried updating the device drivers in the device manager but it came back as 'drivers up to date' and working with no rollback options; I tried uninstalling the devices completely and reinstalling them in the device manager; I tried a full system repair in my pc tools; I went to the RAID Controller manufacturer's site to update that (see your dvd connections in the device manager 'view'); I searched for DVD hardware driver updates and patches; I tried recovering the original drivers through the recovery module; I even tried a complete pc recovery twice. The complete recovery worked until I got to the final few Windows updates and printer installations and then I was back at square one, which narrowed it down for me.

I've been struggling for over a week on the this issue in Vista with no luck regardless of effort for my DVD/CD combo drives, but have two ideas that may help someone:

1. I lost my card readers at the same time and was able to recover them by going to my device manager and uninstalling all my USB root hubs along with all the problem drivers at one time. After restart, a lot of my other problems disappeared as well, but not the DVD drives (they weren't USB connected). I've seen lots of USB issues in my search so gave it a try - this may work if you have a USB connection to your DVD drives.

2. While restoring and updating in little pieces, I found that the problems didn't come up with the Windows updates until after the Windows updates were installed and I began installing my printers and related photo and graphics programs. One of the ArcSoft programs had a patch specifically for disappearing DVD drives at http://www.arcsoft.com/support/downloads/download_patches/vista.Asp. You may want to see if you are running any of their listed programs that the patch is for or check your graphics/photo programs for patches. The listed ArcSoft programs included PhotoImpression 5/6, VideoImpression 2, ShowBiz DVD 2, Slide Show Maker, TotalMedia, Picture Saver, QuickDVD, G DATA VideoStudio 2006 Pro, ADS MediaTV, NTI DVD Player, and Ego Backup. That was just for their patch, but there may be more out there. I suspect there may have been a tweaking of a cross-platform Windows files affecting compatability.

Hope that helps someone out there!

- kjsacramento

LG dvd writer not detectedSystem Does Not Detect Dvd/cdrom DriveI ve got LG dvd writer which was working fine till yesterday.My fren had connected his hard disc to my comp and got his OS reinstalled.But after I restarted my comp after setting all the connections right,I found out that the dvd writer was not detected.Infact I did burn a dvd after my fren had done with his formatting.But now the dvd writer isnt being detected.The dvd tray opens by the push of that button and when a dvd is inserted there is this crackling sound.I ve checked the connections and its proper.

Dunno wat to do/txtmngr/images/smileys/smiley6.Gif... This is my final sem... Planned to burn lot of dvds ..Pls pls help me out to sort out this problem...

Response:-

DVD writers have a Data Cable and a Power Cable. Open up your cabinet and check if there are 2 wires connected to your Dvd drive.

If not, Ask a tech to plug the missing one :)

This method provides step-by-stepinstructions for how to use Registry Editor to delete the followingcorrupted Registry entries:UpperFiltersLowerFiltersUpperFiltersLowerFiltersStep 1: Start Registry EditorStart Registry Editor.Step 2: Delete the UpperFilters registry entryIn Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.Expand SYSTEM, and then expand CurrentControlSet.Expand Control, and then expand Class.Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.In the details pane of Registry Editor, on the right side, click UpperFilters.NoteYou may also see an UpperFilters.Bak registry entry. You do not have toremove that entry. Click UpperFilters only.If you see the UpperFiltersregistry entry in the details pane of Registry Editor, go to step 6.Ifyou do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have toremove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to "Step 3: Delete the LowerFilters registry entry."If you see the UpperFilters registry entry in the details pane of Registry Editor, go to step 6.Ifyou do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have toremove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to "Step 3: Delete the LowerFilters registry entry."On the Edit menu, click Delete.Click Yes when you receive the following message:Are you sure you want to delete this value?The UpperFilters registry entry is removed.Step 3: Delete the LowerFilters registry entryIn the details pane of Registry Editor, on the right side, click LowerFilters.Note You might see a LowerFilters.Bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click LowerFilters only.If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, unfortunately this content is unable to help you any more. Go to the "Next Steps" section for information about how you can find more solutions or more help on the Microsoft Web site.On the Edit menu, click Delete.Click Yes when you receive the following message:Are you sure you want to delete this value?The LowerFilters registry entry is removed.Exit Registry Editor.Step 4: Restart your computerRestartyour computer. After you have done this, try to access the CD or DVDdrive. If you can access the CD or DVD drive, and if you do not receivean error message, the problem is resolved. You can reinstall your CD orDVD writing or recording software.If you cannot access the CDor DVD drive, or if you receive an error message, unfortunately thiscontent is unable to help you any more. Go to the "Next Steps" section for information about how you can find more solutions to the problem

I have been having this same exact problem.  I have an HP Pavillion Notebook PC.  One day, my Cd-Rom drive went completely missing.  I cannot recall what I had isntalled that day, however, I do not think I had installed anything within that week.  I could not detect it in My Computer, or even on My Device Manager.  My Bios would not even detect it.  However, I have not checked any of the external hardware on the computer.  I really don't want to mess it up any further.  I tried recovering my computer completely to factory settings, however, this had no effect. So I am assuming that the problem does lie within the hardware.  I just don't think I am experienced enough to handle that.

reinstaling system with external CD Rom.System Does Not Detect Dvd/cdrom Drive

The CDrom drive in my laptop stopped working, so I have been using an external drive. I now want to reinstall the system software, which has to happen at boot-up. Problem: The external (USB) drive does not come on until windows has loaded. How can I make it run from moment PC boots? Please help.

Richie 

-question by Richie

THIS HAPPENS TO ME TOO!System Does Not Detect Dvd/cdrom DriveI have this exact same problem! You see, my computer was one day acting all faulty, so I restored it to facotry settings, and then suddenly, every so often, my DVD drive would disappear, or think it was strictly a CD drive!! I can still open it, but other than that, the computer won't even show me an icon of the drive when it's not working. It's frequent on and off traits are also really annoying, since every so often when I watch a movie on the laptop, it can suddenly disappear...Another side problem is that my computer, every so often, shuts itself off every few days/hours/. >.< A major pain in the *bottom*, especially when doing something quite important. But, anyhow.Can anyone help me?-question by ConradVeidtOTAKU