xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Dooga

Firefox 2.0 Officially Launched!

As far as everyone speculations about the no. 1 browser spot is concerned, I'll like to contribute that IE still rules the market share... Can you imagine after IE 7 was released in just 4 days 3 Millions downloads were complete! Firefox is gaining popularity and thanks to all the fans out there but Firefox has to do a real hard work to reach to top.

i'd hate to pee on IE's parade... BUT Firefox 2.0 had over 2 million downloads in the first 24 hours alone, with a peak rate of more than 30 downloads per second! :( with IE, it's just an average of 750,000 downloads per day in a spread of 4 days. :(

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/?

as for extension updates is concerned, i'm still missing the Tiny.pl and the ImageShackright-click plugins, which definitely helps when i need to shorten a url (tiny.pl) or upload an image direct to imageshack with just a right click. maybe a couple of days for the update still. :( the SessionSaver and TabX plugins which are my favorites before, are now included in the firefox 2.0, so less plugins there to install. :( DownThemAll, another useful extension, is compatible with 2.0 also. :lol:

conclusion? firefox 2.0 rules! :(

The main reason why Internet Explorer has only 3 million downloads in 4 days after their release because they did not inform all their user yet... They have to wait till its perfectly alright then make it available on the Windows Update which is expected to be on the 1 November... Until then IE would have gain back their popularity, and that both IE and firefox is have a real fight out there...

I have just downloaded firefox 2.0 and tested it. The spelling check is actually a good thing for people who do not know how to spell certain words but it is also a bad thing since it can't even detect firefox as a right spelling and also things like imo, ic ... etc these common abbreviations we always use in the internet world. The design is certainly more sleeker, with gradients in he tab as well as the buttons, and the icons have changed to nicer looking ones. They mentioned about search recommendations, but it doesn't seem to work for google but only yahoo. Can anyone confirm this? But so far there are no significant changes in terms of experiences, I will continue to test it out but so far so good

i just finished downloaded and am installing right now, i hafta say i cant wait to see what its like :lol:*is excited*UPDATE:: Installed, searched through addons and themes, etc. Found a lot that i love!a few that ive installed are the HaikuFox Theme, which is the first 'light' theme ive liked for FF so far.also, ColorZilla, as it helps me coordinating colors for graphics, css, etc,firebug, for letting me debug sites, temporarily fix errors, disable javascripts and suchfoxy tunes allows me to control my media player directly through the browsertab catalog, similar to the window when you alt+tab, except bigger, shows the tabs, and works when you use ctrl+tabweb developer: allows me to find any errors, as well as manipulate the source of a page any way i want, even lets me directly edit the html :(i think i can deal with the spellchecker in exchange for all of that :(

Edited by AlternativeNick (see edit history)

I have been using Firefox 2 for a while now, and they have improved a lot. Since the beta version was released I thought that it was amazing and there is no way that Internet Explorer could beat it, then i saw IE7 and was impressed at the job they did, but a couple of days ago they released 2.0 and I have to say, its way better. I am still annoyed that it does not download as fast as Internet Explorer does but oh well you cant have everything the way you want it. It is still a great browser and if you are one of the unfortunate few who are yet to try this then you should definitely go and download this! It is great and best of all, I have yet to come across any pop ups or advertisements of any sort.

Firefox (wow Firefox isn't in its own dictionary :lol:) still beats Internet Explorer by miles. The new spell check feature owns. Microsoft have tried to duplicate Mozilla's extension facility and have failed, it's good but it costs quite a bit to acquire some of them, sometimes as much as $50 (�26). 5/5 - Excellent

Edited by OpaQue (see edit history)

Well I said earlier ( 2 days ago) that Firefox seems great. After further testing I can say Firefox 2.0 ( I support FF version since Fx seems pretty stupid... wonder who did they come up with that?) seems more of a release candidate or some software in a pre-release beta state. What annoys me the most is the fact that somehow they managed to screw the password manager. On some websites it simply doesn't what to show the password until you have made a wrong login. I can give one example: Sourceforge.net. Well I used "Report Broken Web Site" to let them know about this problem... hope they will fix it soon.If you ask me will going to have a new release very soon because of the bugs this version has... Nevertheless it beats by miles Internet Explorer even at version 7.

Im using it now!!!! I love Firefox and i am glad that i was smart enough to dump my explorer for it. The features such as the tabs are life savers. All hail mozilla!!!! Unfortunately, for microsoft i only see mozilla getting larger and larger as the fans keep spreading the word.

another addon i found is the XRay addon, i think its mentioned in another post here, but its awesome for anyone trying to examine the source of a page. instead of having to switch between windows, it sort of layers the source over the page itself. pretty neat-o :lol:

I think I love the old 1.5 more then the new one cause it's pretty slow compared to the old one! do some of u get the same problem?? Well it turns black and white on my fedora core 6 when it takes too long to load! and then after a while it comes back to normal when the page is fully loaded but this doesn't happen with 1.5! some say it's the fedora problem and not firefox but i don't know why i don't get that problem with 1.5 version of firefox.... if anyone has got the same problem lemme know plz :P thanks :( and cheers! :(

By the way, i got a new update for the Firefox 2 yesterday, *wait* two days ago...The most current version of the released Firefox is 2.0.0.3, so go update your copy now...Unlike *other* browsers, there is no need to un-install or renew any Profile information. The update is totally seamless. Just don't remove the profile information from the Chrome folder. It even leaves your extensions and add-ons completely untouched and re-installs them... nice work.