xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Dooga

Firefox 2.0 Officially Launched!

@Amezis fx that is so lame, Although I wonder if they are not trying to be confused with Final Fantasy or Fear Factor. Foxfire ahahaha :lol: Shippo from Inuyasha. But I know What I said (FF is what I am going with) :(Hmm I swear that when I opening it up on the other computer (Desktop) I saw fasterfox running, I have to check again. I know the adblock plus still works and some others as well that I didn't have downloaded on this computer.

That is onje downside to upgrading things, that means some of the ad-ons will not work.Kind of like when a forum version upgrades most of the mods and themes wont work because they re-wrote the code and so the themes and mods are not set-up to go into sync with that code :lol: kinda sucks, but we can only wait for the makers to re-write the ad-ons if they dont work :(@SM, i dont have that ad blocker program, I get no pop-ups and i dont have any muhahahaha i havent checked to see if DownloadThemAll still works, or the fasterfox :(

Other things I reccomend that work with Firefox 2.0:* IE Tab (Allows you to switch between seeing how a website looks in FF and how it looks in IE)* NoScript (Protects you from websites using dangerous scripting)I'm surprised I wasn't notified of this because I've been testing Firefox 2.0 since Beta 2 and it usually tells me about updates. But then, it has been slow to update before...

Edited by NDPA (see edit history)

My best guess would be their send that little update program with in the following weeks. Of course Since their was a beta version out I think they only got the update and the 1.5 users didn't.

I downloaded it and tested it thoroughly...Even though this edition is muuuch better than the previous (1.5.something) one, it still has some minor problems, most probably not noticeable if you don't push it to the limits...Unfortunately, many of my add-ons don't work but it's not that much of a problem to wait some days...Don't know about you, but firefox still teaches Internet explorer (7) a lesson or two :lol:

At last, I will get this in a few days, once most of my addons are compatible. I have got to a point where it is hard to live without them. The only reason I use FireFox is the addons, else I would have switched to Opera along time ago.

The spell check that is in the new version won't make much difference as am using the spellcheck on Google toolbar (Without the toolbar), which has served me fine.

@Amezis

The rest of the world don't seem to be getting the message that abbreviation is Fx, I have only seen it abbreviated to a FF, it just confuses everyone if you use Fx. I am wondering how they came up with Fx anyway, it doesn't make much sense when FireFox said aloud :lol:

Edited by Yacoby (see edit history)

@NDPA awesome fine this practically makes a web designers dream complete although I had to Google it since the main site wasn't showing it up but here is the link for it for those who want it.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

@yacoby reason is Fx is the First Letter "F" and the last letter "x" is being used thats why

@yacoby reason is Fx is the First Letter "F" and the last letter "x" is being used thats why

Yeh, I know, but I was just pointing out that FF makes more sense the Fx, as when it is said aloud you put more emphasis on the Fs than you do on the first F and the last x.

I misspelled "aloud" as "allowed" (now corrected) in my previous post which may have caused a changed the meaning slightly.
Edited by Yacoby (see edit history)

:lol::( I hate firefox. it is not as good as any of the other browsers that there are in the world. IE is my favorite because it is the easiest to use and :( now tih the new tabs system it is sure to rock the world!!!

:lol::( I hate firefox. it is not as good as any of the other browsers that there are in the world. IE is my favorite because it is the easiest to use and :( now tih the new tabs system it is sure to rock the world!!!

lol, you're saying this in a firefox thread... I think this version of firefox is definitely worth the try, and now almost all browser have the tabs features, and I just found out the latest version of netscape browser have the tabs features too! And now many famous browser have been releasing their new versions lately with their very own uniqueness and attractions which makes the competition stronger, which benefits us the user as they compete to provide better features and more stable browser to outlast their competitor to win our number 1 browser spots...

Wow, as usual another browser topic turning into browser war topic!

Anyway, the new version of Firefox is good and has got nice set of features. Like phishing protection, better security and the best thing, real time spell check feature. But the biggest problem, which most of us must have been facing is the unavailability of the updated plugins and that's why most of the people will still stick around with the old version. The one I miss the most is Tab Mix Plus.

As far as everyone speculations about the no. 1 browser spot is concerned, I'll like to contribute that IE still rules the market share... Can you imagine after IE 7 was released in just 4 days 3 Millions downloads were complete! Firefox is gaining popularity and thanks to all the fans out there but Firefox has to do a real hard work to reach to top.

most of the extensions are now updated to work with FF 2.0 too

You say that, but out of the twenty or so extensions I have installed on 1.5 the only two that are compatible with 2.0 are Stumble & Adblock Plus.

Its annoying as not only am I missing out on nearly all of them but every time I start up Firefox now it insists on checking for updates.

I don't really want to turn the auto check off just in case updates are available at some point, so I guess I am stuck with it...

Mjay in reference to the extension updates, what is being mention are used for webdesign and what not I made a topic about the dream package for web designers here.

http://forums.xisto.com/topic/42607-firefox-extensions-dream-package-1-web-design-extensions-add-ons-and-plug-ins/

Most of these tools have been updated at the release of FF 2.0

@Yacoby I agree who cares what it is called most people know what your talking about if you do mention FF when it concerns design and what not.

Let try to stay on topic as well please I know of several topics concerning the browser wars. But I do find it amusing though that no one mentions Netscape anymore, Most of hte time you hear about IE, FF and Opera, although I only could imagine how much NS destroys web designs, But I remember correctly NS structure is similar to Opera I think, Someone confirm that for me thanks.

Excellent thread :lol:

One extension in particular that I miss is webmail compose, which when you click an email link on a webpage it opens your gmail account, not your default email client.

This is/was an excellent extension, & I hope someone gets around to upgrading it to Firefox 2 soon.

*Edit*

I have just found what could quite possibly be the best Firefox extension ever.

Basically it tricks Firefox into thinking all the extensions you have installed are compatible.

All my 1.5 extensions now work with 2.

Happy doesnt come close... :(

Get it here

Edited by Mjay06 (see edit history)