xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Saint_Michael

First Successful Test Of Invisibility WE DID IT

I'm in complete shock when i read this artical,

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Although this was hte first step 2 dimension with a shadow, it will be only a matter of time that we can full hide a object without being seen.

The possibilities are endless, especially military possibilities we can make are elite soldiers (Special Forcesm Rangers, Navy Seals) more elite that they cannot be traced. Lets see a sniper won't have the need to wear the guillie suit to blend in with the background. Although sea wise it won't do much because of the waves boats make.

But of course their is the bad side to this, a scientist could decide that he wants money and start selling it off to those who want it. If the governments are smart this time they should restrict this to military production sites that don't sell weapons to the open market.

I read about this in the Popular Science magazine a month ago. It was September's issue. I like the idea and I think it's really cool. I read that if you were to be inside of it you wouldn't be able to see out though so they need to work on that as well. That is if this is the same people but I actually don't think it is but the same concept. The problem also though would be that you have to be all one color because only one frequency of light can be refracted.

thats cool...but dont you think it will only lead to more wars? or maybe more deaths? bad stuff comes out of good ideas. but im pessimistic so dont read this

It's amazing how rapidly this technology has advanced. The first "invisibility" cloaks they developed required cameras and projectors, which was virtually useless and blindingly obvious that something was there. Now they are moving light around objects so that you just can't tell anything is there. I think one article compared it to a rock in a stream. The water goes round it and joins up just past it, and you can not tell it has passed a rock. This technology can be used for otehr things besides hiding too! Keeping out radiowaves and sound has been suggested for sensitive equipment or recording studios. Rather than soundproofing, just make it seem that the studio doesn't exist to sound waves.If this technology got into the hands of the general publich though there would be catastrophic effects. Crimes could be committed with no identity of the criminal, people would be bumped into or run over without them being seen. Apart from the military and law enforcement, I see no need to start making people invisible.

thats cool...but dont you think it will only lead to more wars? or maybe more deaths? bad stuff comes out of good ideas.

Yes that is definitely a possibility, but that would only occur if people used it for bad. These are things that should only be used by people we trust such as policeman. The whole idea is interesting and I think that if this succeeded it was cause chaos. People would be dieing to get one and everyone and everything on the world would be invisible! It neat that they have toyed with this and got it to work to some extent but there really is no need for this. Would it serve any purpose? It would just be "fun" I guess.

Wow, i didn't ever think they would do this so soon, i remember when i first saw optical camouflage using projectors, http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Lol, i have mixed feelings about this technology though, if they do get around to a fully fledged version i hope they make only 10-30 or so, if any terrorist/disruptive organisation gets their hands on just one, the damage could be endless, imagine how easy suicide bombs would be, get to the target very very early, hide with a huge bomb, invisibly, and once it is "rush hour" bam.

The authorities better get on this pretty soon, and keep the technology very very secret.

I saw the image of the device, it looked like an electrive stove. Still I cant figure out how it works, or how it does what they said it did. I wouldve liked for them to accompany the article with a video. It really sounds interesting, I guess I just have to see it to believe it.

Amazing, sounds like James Bond movie. But I think if this discovery becomes is successful then it will bring more sufferings to us. Every discovery is associated with some good and bad things but if a man becomes invisible than it will be very difficult to control crime.

This is a great advancement in the field of science, but as fellow members have said there are many disadvantages and dangers of this technology leaking into the public, or put in the wrong hands. Terrorists could finally hide Osama for real if hes not dead, North Korea could hide their atomic bombs and completly destroy America. However if Americans developed this then they had better only make one, as even more in the millitary could have problems. People may find a way around this and then can destroy what ever the cloak is hiding. But when i first read this topic i immedietly thought of Harry Potter and the amount of trouble he got into with his invisibility cloak! But still this is a great idea, pity i never heard about it sooner.

Yeh, I heard about this, it sounded very interesting. You idea to restrict its use to the military isn't going to work, as there has already been a paper published as to how it would be possible. So any government (or someone with the money) could fund the making of this technology based on the same base as the one being made now.If the general public were able to produce one easily, it would lead to some bad consequences, like criminals etc, but this has been true for almost every invention, there has been some downside. However, hopefully by the time it is easy to produce these, the technology will be easily available to detect them.

Wow, this is...well, I can only sum it up with "awesome". I heard a bit ago they'd teleported particles, now they can make invisibility cloaks! Technology seems to of sped up again. I feel it "slowed down" the past few years, since we have the same basic technoogy, but just increased. IE, faster computers, better camera phones, same old, same old.But now it seems like we can improve even more!

I didn't really get the article. But i do know that (or at least, i think i know that) the only way you can completely be invisible is if you completely absorbed all the light rays that is striking you. I would expect something bad to happen if you really manage to absorb all these light rays though (and along with every other ray that happens to pass by and strike you, like UV etc..). It would be interesting to know how governments are going to react to this discovery though. Are they going to patent it like they do with DNA (up till the point where researching cures for genetic diseases becomes so monetarily un-do-able), or are they just going to totally restrict access to this technology to within a certain region. It is probably bound to get out sooner or later, wars would erupt, then someone finds a counter to this and the world ends with some leading nation with the counter beating everyone else up. Yes, I guess I'm a little pessimistic. :)

However if Americans developed this then they had better only make one, as even more in the millitary could have problems.

I disagree with you Caped_Crusaider, if there is only one weapon or technology which has the ability to destroy the world then it is more dangerous.Have you seen a weighing pan, when weight on one side of pan becomes heavier, it is shifted in that direction. Similarly, when any nation gets these types of supernatural and unique power, then it will try to dominate and create threat/fear among other nations. It will try to become the boss and will try to do whatever it wants.
As an example you think about present weapon of mass destruction i.e. Nuclear bomb, now almost every nation has got this weapon, so every nation knows if he is going to use it against other then he himself is also not save.
As far as limiting these technology to some confined part of this world is concerned then I would say it is not possible. Again take example of nuclear bomb, its technology is with everyone, good or bad.
This will also develope an arm race and as we all know "Necessity is the mother of invention" so, whenever the necessity of developing weapons of mass destruction will come somebody will definetaly come out with a deadly weapon in his hand.

I read about this in the Popular Science magazine a month ago. It was September's issue. I like the idea and I think it's really cool. I read that if you were to be inside of it you wouldn't be able to see out though so they need to work on that as well. That is if this is the same people but I actually don't think it is but the same concept. The problem also though would be that you have to be all one color because only one frequency of light can be refracted.

It is the same tech, just taken much much farther. (PopSci FTW!) The one in PopSci could only cloak microwave rays. Basically, what it does, is takes the light hitting the cloak on one side and sends it through little tubes, so to speak, to the other side. So it looks as if there is nothing there.

It's much easier with microwave rays because they are only one frequency, whereas, light is hundreds. Whoever said they found a pic, please post a link? I'd really like to see this puppy in action. :lol: