xisto Community
husker

What If The World Spoke One Language

I would like that there would be one universal language which all the people could understand and you can always learn two more languages for other purposes, it would be easy to talk to each other in different countries :DPeople can always learn their mother-tongue and a universal language and one extra language, it's not so hard to know 3 languages, but learning more than 3 languages becomes harder and I doubt everybody could do it, besides I agree that we can't speak the same in all the planet, even if we could, by distance we would differ, even though when distance these days is not as far as it used to be, you can always talk to somebody with a video and audio if you have an Internet connection and in a day you can fly to other side of the planet, if you have enough money :DStill, different languages are good, but one universal wouldn't be bad, English language has become one of the leading languages, I can't imagine programming in any other language than English, unless naming variables and classes and namespaces or structures or etc. in your own language, but that would be a nightmare for somebody else who doesn't know that language :D

Edited by Quatrux (see edit history)

People from all over the globe replied to this. I hope you all realize that this conversation would not be possible if everyone here didn't speak the same language :D

Hi all!

I can`t imagine the world without multiple languages. It is impossible. That is a vital point of all cultures: having different languages. That multiple languages are cause of our colourful world. There are many disadvantages of one language, culturally, historically, politically, economically...

Peope like trying experiences, thus they travel and learn new languages, add new life to their used one.

In my perspective, having universal language as, for instance, English is fine. However it is not neccessary to cross out different interesting languages...

Well if this world had been subjected to just 1 language everyone could have been able to enjoy the freedom to speak and communicate with any other person in this world irrespective of the fact that where he is geographically situated. Travelling to a truly strange place would also not matter in the way of communication the person chooses to. So the world would have been far too easy to handle in the context of communication.But the loophole of such a strange world as practically it is not at all possible to maintain 1 language throughout such a vast world will be that this world will be devoid of the vividity of so many languages. But then novel readers would have greatly enjoyed this exclusive privilege of being able to read any novel written by anyone throughout this massive universe.The same goes true even for movie lovers too. You can watch any movie without having a bit of problem in understanding what is being displayed.The beauty of such a world would have been exploration at its deepest level possible and limitation would have been getting devoid of vividity in terms of language and in turn a true lack of cultural progress.

i have never meet anyone who can't speak english as well as their own language, when i was at school i had a french sub teacher he had a problem with his language he cursed because he thought he could in the class and then sidestepped when he was teachers in NI do not use bad language during the class.but i would not agree about everybody speaking the same language because a language is part of someones identity even though i only speak english because i was brought up only speaking english where i was born two other languages are official languages irish and ulster scots, i don't speak either but i respect people who speak those languages because it is part of our heritage and culture. i remember when i was younger when i went christmas shopping and their one two polish guys talking and laughing i did not like that because i could not understand a word they where saying and they could of being talking or laughing about me but i respect their rights to speak polish even though i can't understand it.

Edited by c4l (see edit history)

What most people do not understand is although having only one global language will facilitate trade and other global affairs, it also comes along with many pitfalls. One of these pitfalls is the loss of culture. In our world today, signs of diminishing cultures can already be seen. This is due to the invention of trains, planes and other transportations that resulted in the globalization of the world. Cultures are merging together, and along the way bits and pieces of tradition is lost. If this is the result of new transportation - imagine the results of a global language! The second pitfall is the loss of knowledge. It is questionable whether language forms our thoughts or not, but there are many studies that point to the former. I don't know about you, but the majority of my thoughts are thought in words. This then leads to the question of the limits of language. If your language is limited, are your thoughts limited? I believe yes. As a trilingual girl, I am aware of the limits of the english language. I know a lot of words in my own native language, Filipino, that has no english translation. I also know that in spanish, unlike english, a whole mood is present (subjunctive). Imagine if there was a language that did not have past and future tenses. How difficult would it be to review the events of the day or plan the day ahead?