xisto Community
husker

What If The World Spoke One Language

Absolutely

What If The World Spoke One Language

Replying to husker

I've been thinking about that lately, I think the world should only have one language. It used to: (Gen 11:1)

It would be great if some way we could form just one language...

Well am working on this topic for my essay. Its reallty hard because I myself always act as neutral part. Sometimes it makes me confused with everything. To me if the world exist only one language, it would become boring. Boring because I am a foreign language addict, learning English gives me pleasure and fun. Moreover, a language is part of a culture, if there were only one language, battles would be about to occur and so on. OMG am headache now, I want to take a breakkkkkkkk he he

-reply by Ngot

Globalisation is creating a global culture. This global culture will speak one global language. Most sources state this language will be a form of dialectic English which is currently rising in use in the Far East. There is a Daily Telegraph article regarding this subject which I think you will all find quite interesting. They dub the language "Panglish" - derived from Pan-English.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I think this would be a bad thing. I guess you could argue that it'd be a good thing if we could all understand each other and stuff but it'd be pretty boring. I think other languages are fascinating, and they add to the culture, not to mention I love women with accents.. :(.

This is a good idea of course, but it must absolutely neutral language. And probably a better idea would make this universal language a must to learn (as a second language to your native language) in all of the countries. This language should be created artificially by all nations (I.E. All the cultures should be participating in creation of such language, for instance by providing linguists or other scientists etc.), and then implemented in all the countries. The language at first should be easy to learn, has no exceptions and should be good for using with computers. Once language is implemented globally, I.E. Once it become alive...Then exceptions, slang etc. Could appear, and since we now live in a global world, it won't diverge int many languages.

I think it would be fantastic if there was only one language...It would make the world MUCH better...No language barriers, more job opportunities overseas, better spread of wealth and resources. While a disadvantage would be loss of some culture, the advantages FAR outweigh the disadvantages. I really hope that humans will only have one language...I don't care what language it is...As long as it is only ONE language.

-reply by Mike

The best of all would be what is happening today : to develop a tendence for a LEADING international world-spoken language which is Spanish and English for example. Nobody wants to lose their native language aslo for the reason of the connection to their ancestors.Think of this : One main international language to be taught worldwide so that all people would speak it, and still keep their mother tongue! This will lead to amazing scientific achievements which will change all spheres of our life extremely a lot! Just analyse the history of big nations like Russia, England, China, India, Germany, USA - they all made some of the biggest discoveries that moved the entire human civilization way ahead! The more people speak and work in the same language - the more competition it will eventually create. More competition - generates more quality and brilliance and in-depth strategy to attract your niche/customers. More quality will lead to more discoveries. More discoveries to radical changes on the global scale (both positive and negative, depending on the way people will learn to handle them).150 years ago people didn't have most of the things a modern house/flats/offices/farms have... and people led a very different lifestyle. (Mobile phones and Computers for too many teenagers are proved to be a negative thing to have...)Imagine if in the near future we'd have a teleportation machine, flash sticks with entire books/knowledge that could be connected to the brain and the person would be able to assimilate the content in just a matter of minutes... just like copying files from the stick to a hard drive? Robots that will help the japanese pensioners in the household?Alternative bio energy sources - houses with 0 energy use - all from sun, wind (etc.) ....A very different world still with all the existing languages and the future languages to come...

I would completly support the developement of a world language if it was developed openly under the pretense to protect soverienty of the countrys' of the world. So if the United Nations takes out a loan and hires a bunch of linguist and mathmaticians and developes a world language in the open with the world watching and knowing what is going on. Then if under the pretense that no country can make the world language their official language, road signs, intercommercial activity, within the public works of the country, not only that, noone can use the world language as a name of a business, but not only that an individual would have to be proficient in the native language before they could be taught the world language by a public institution within their country. The country's of the world would purchase the language and the translation materials from the U.N. and the U.N. would collect royalties to pay for the mathmaticians and linguists. I think a world language developed in this fashion would be very beneficial for the world. International business and commerce would become more clear to many more people in the world. I also think it would solve a-lot of systematic problems, It's like ya, we will borrow you some money if you addresse these problems. We are not going to keep borrowing you money to support losers and a loser system. I think it would bring some sanity. Many more people would get to know what the deal is, mercy would be more applied by the world. The way it is currently is countries really do not have soverienty in that they are used as pawns by the rich and powerful whom do it at their leisure. So did that corp. go there to help or is it some kinda a tax shelter, or who knows unless you're some ultra talented linguist translating 50 languages for the powerful knowing what is going on yet in no position to do anything about it. And if you are a linguist you're value does not decrease because you will still have the advantage of communicating with people in their native langauge.

Believe it or not, this used to be a world with only one language. Some scholars agree, saying it may have been Hebrew.

Genesis 11:1-9

The Tower of Babel:

"Now the whole world had one language and a common speech. As men moved eastward, they found a plain in Shinar and settled there.They said to each other, "Come, let's make bricks and bake them thoroughly." They used brick instead of stone, and tar for mortar. Then they said, "Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves and not be scattered over the face of the whole earth."

But the LORD came down to see the city and the tower that the men were building. The LORD said, "If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them. Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other."

So the LORD scattered them from there over all the earth, and they stopped building the city. That is why it was called Babel—because there the LORD confused the language of the whole world. From there the LORD scattered them over the face of the whole earth."

All the languages of this world are evidence of our Lord.

--

If your not a Christian or don't believe in God, I am afraid for you. Although I do not know you, I still want you to go to Heaven. I know God want you there as-well. He is your Creator and you are His Creation, He wants to Restore you back to Him. If you wish to go to Him, you must have a sincere heart and you must become Humble to Him. If you are His Child, it will show.

Confess That Jesus is Lord and you will be saved! But not all those who confess will enter The Kingdom of Heaven but only those who do The Will of God. He (Jesus) is by no means teaching a "works" salvation. He is teaching that those who truly believe in God will show it (bear fruit).

Make sure that no one deceives you, keep your guard up and stay in His Word. Make wise choices, and Live for God.

"All things were created by Him and for Him." Colossians 1:16

You were created by God, for God, Live for Him. If you don't have a passion worth dying for, you have nothing worth living for! Edited by jlhaslip
added quote tags (see edit history)

The religous part of the conversation is interesting. Trying understand the divine foot steps that have gotten us to where we are now, and I guess the debate there is wether they are really divine. Yes, it is interesting, but I would like to explore the a possible structure of a unique human created world language. I think in doing that we would have a better understanding and appreciation for the power of a world language, and if it was created with the correct form it could be very beneficial to really everyone. This is where the mathmaticians come in. See one possible avenue is that the language would be based first on worst aspects of humanity. So as the category's for all the descriptions of such things mathmatically correct you by directing you to an opening to the situation preventing you from getting caught in a contradiction or a paradox. So if all the worst aspects of humanity are addressed in the core of the language then a member nation oould not develope a way or system to undermine other nations with the language. I think if you are speaking with the language, and lets say for example you're trying to portray the united nations as the world gov. and that the one language should be the only language that the world should speak it would automatically put the language into the worst possible situation like your options under the pretense of going against the purpose of the 1 U.N and 1 language taking sovvrenty away and or culture and making it a must instead of an option. The U.N. or entities such as the U.N. G8 whatever these entities would have their on special sub category that would limit the amount as in directing your conversation directly to the result of consequences of such things, so even if you tryed to do such a thing it is broadcasting bad. Oncethese categorys or blocks are developed and the combinations of the blocks and subblocks are determined by the mathmaticians and linguist. Then that form becomes the core of the language, so as the language grows the new words are examined as to their intent and put into their category or subcategory according to the form and if it is decided that the language needs a structural change it should be stated that the structural change should adhere to the original intent of the language.

I'll say that'll be pretty bad, if not gruesome, to think about. I mean culture is the thing that actually makes the world be so exciting. Culture makes interests, opinions and even conflicts that keep us interested, entertained and even amused. Basically, Culture brings people to be unique and individual.Now if every single person in the whole world speak only one language, there would surely be more negative than positive. Surely, the language and administration of countries will be very simplified, but that comes with consequences. There wouldn't be a "unique" identity of people. It'll be just... Earthicans (as from Futurama =D). Also, no language would mean global unity... I personally do not think the world is ready for such grand idea. Also, a whole segment of careers in international relations would probably be exterminated for there is no use for translators. Although..... there WOULD be people trying to make their own languages and separate from the world. I'll say it's not only unpreferable, but also implausible.- Jori

If life is easy, there isn't no challenge at all and language differences is another challenge we have to face. If we aren't doing anything and all we need is here and provided, there will be boredom and everyone will commit suicide LOL

a very interesting but disturbing thought.....one language would be literally wow...forget those lectures on foreign languages....but it wouldnt be the same i mean admittedly in times of crisis it wud be good to have that ability as an over ride function would make international relations convenient.....but it wud make a lot of peopole jobless....linguists wud be like ducks in a dried up river bed Edited by moderator (see edit history)