xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
BuffaloHelp

Dialup Users Double Your Connection Speed with simple modem command tweek

I found this instruction on the net and I'm wondering this actually "speeds up" a dial up connection?

Suffering from 52 kbps internet connection?

Follow these simple steps and double your internet connection speed:

Connect to the internet

Click Start and select control panel

Click Phone and Modem

Select Modems tab and then click Properties

Click the Advanced tab and in the extra initialization commands type AT&FX

Click Ok and disconnect from the internet

Connect to the internet again and enjoy your 115 kbps connection!

Source http://www.tripod.lycos.co.uk/

I am unable to test out this using my current equipments at the moment but if any Xisto members out there using dial up connections, could you post your results? Maybe you can use bandwidth test to post your results both upload and download. If possible try using one bandwidth testing place like here http://www.bandwidthplace.com/

And is this United States only or does it work around the world? I'd be interested to find out the results.

worth a try! :D though the connection speed could simply be superficial. :D using the suggested AT&FX fix, it shows in my modem that i am connected at 115.2 Kbps, but using the speedtest above, it gives me 37.8 kilobits per second.

Communications: 37.8 kilobits per second

Storage: 4.6 kilobytes per second

1MB file download: 3.7 minutes

Subjective rating: Slow

without the AT&FX setting, i am connected at 50.6 Kbps, and the speedtest gives me 41.5 kilobits per second.

Communications: 41.5 kilobits per second

Storage: 5.1 kilobytes per second

1MB file download: 3.4 minutes

Subjective rating: Slow

still slow speedtest results (well, dialups are slow :D), but i will make further tests when i'm online a little later for a longer period of time. :D

I remember this before somewhere and I don't think anything happens - apart from one thing. Your PC now claims you can connect at 921.6 Kbps or whatever value you specify in MODEM PROPERTIES --> GENERAL --> CONFIGURE --> MAXIMUM SPEED (BPS)No offence but waste of time in my opinion....

It seems pointless, becuase if you have a 56K modem, just changing a value on the PC isn't going to magically change the hardware of the modem. It may look good, but that's all it does.

Two dial up commands

Dialup Users Double Your Connection Speed

When I attempt to dial up I click Connect on a small window, then a larger window appears again asking me to Connect. Often the small window reappears and I have to click Connect or the page is dead.

-question by Joan

lol..that doesn't work. It is just a tweak that will display a high connection speed. The physical limitations of an analog phone line are only so much and the government standards limit it to 56k. There is no "setting" in windows or otherwise that will speed up your connection to that extent. There are some other "tweaks" that you can try on broadband connections, but baseband 56k is pretty much....56k

I think it's a "fix" that simply change the maximum value you can reach.But of course you can't reach that value.There are some tricks but there isn't anything magical.For example there is a software made by a telephone company that force you to download only parts of images: as a result you speed up your connection but get corrupted images :DNothing really cool, just tricks until you get a better connection xD

hi guys this settings is working in my system. Previously my net speed is about 153 kbps but after changing the settings I got a speed up to 461 kbps. I really thankful to this miracle

-reply by kishore

Dial up to IP conversionDialup Users Double Your Connection Speed

Is there a way to trick a dial up unit like a fax machine to transmit to an IP address?Like a dial to IP converter box?Thank you

-reply by John

dial up speed increasedDialup Users Double Your Connection SpeedReplying to serverphCan't believe it worked. I live in Spain and had to put up with 56kbps for 3 years now as broad band is expensive. I followed the simple instructions to double the speed and what do you know... I now have 115kbps... Not fatastic but better than I had.

I work for a dialup ISP, and this just changes how it says your speed is.

Goto speedtest.Net without at&fx and with it, everything will be the same.

Also note that sometimes this init string will cause drive corruption

This is all in your headDialup Users Double Your Connection Speed

All this does is report the "speed" between your modem and your PCI or ISA bus.  The maximum allowed connection rate in the U.S.A. Is ~53kbps.

-reply by Steve

hai anyone teel me an idea to increase my dial up net connection speed i am connecting it by using nokia 5130 xpress music mobile. pls send your useful idea to my email id (gandhi09vivekananda@gmail.com)Dialup Users Double Your Connection Speed

hai anyone tell me an idea to increase my dial up net connection speed I am connecting it by using nokia 5130 xpress music mobile. Pls send your useful idea to my email id (gandhi09vivekananda@gmail.com)

-reply by gandhi