xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
squeaky

Safety Seat Belts & Car Accidents why you should wear seat belts?

Safety seat belts are important. Of course there are some cases where people survived a crash or something due to the fact that they did not were them, but in most cases it is opposite. I have never been in a car accident, but I would actually fancy if they started having air bagst on the outside of the car too... haha, would help me as a cyclist.Something I wonder more about is why seat belts are not mandatory (Right word?) in buses. In many buses here in Norway there are none, and I think it is quite weird when it is just as dangerous not wearing seat belts as in a normal car. How strange.

Edited by Bluebear (see edit history)

Although everyone has heard this hundreds of times, some people still don't listen. If I'm in a car I feel really unconformable and strange if I don't wear a seatbelt. It's such a simple measure that could save your life, so I don't understand why you wouldn't wear one.

But one more thing...Safety Seat Belts & Car AccidentsI don't want to be the one to bring up Govermental imposition. However how far will we let the poltaticians protect us from ourselves. I realize when the goverment out lawed suicide they effectivly took ownership of our lives but lest we forget what our founding fathers said "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both"-reply by Desperado

Being a farmer is a dangerous occupation. Many are killed in tractor and equipment accidents. But does the government make it illegal to be a farmer? Of course not, you would all starve to death if it weren?t for farmers. Being a police officer, tight rope walker, or road construction worker are extremely dangerous jobs, but do you see the government putting an end to those jobs? No, because we need a force to control civil disobedience, entertainment, and good roads to drive on. So why is it the government feels they should protect us by forcing us to wear seat belts? When in fact, there are plenty of examples where seat belts do more damage than they prevent? Why has my choice and personal liberty been taken away from me? For the benefit of an insurance company? Or for just another excuse for the law to harass me when I am minding my own business driving down the road? For another source of income for an already out of control government? (Fines from tickets for not wearing seat belts) Where is the line drawn between government control of our lives and personal freedom?????In my lifetime, I have been in several car crashes. In none of them would a seatbelt have made any difference in preventing injuries. I have however, had 2, (not just once but twice) incidences of driving down the road minding my own business, and for no apparent reason, had my car catch on fire! The first time it happened, the first thing that happened was the flames hitting the brake line and solidifying the brake fluid, rendering the brakes unusable. Fortunately, I was on a city street, not driving too fast, and had standard transmission so I was able to down shift to slow the pick up truck down, and get it to a safe speed to bail out at. Now tell me, with the amount of natural panic, the cab filling with smoke and having to stay in control of the vehicle and keep it under control and make sure no one else would be in danger from my rolling, flaming metal cannon ball, do you really think I would have the time and control of the situation to unbuckle a seat belt and untangle myself from it and bail out without getting tangled up in it and possibly getting drug to death, or burnt up in the truck???? I think not! The second time I was behind the wheel of a rolling torch was very very late one night coming home from work. It is a rather funny story, at least when it was over with. And since I started on this car fire story, this is probably a good time to share it. I was driving down a lonely country highway, after many hours behind the wheel, I was pretty much in a fog mentally, just about half asleep. Eventually flashes of light bouncing in my rear view mirror got threw to my foggy brain and I started watching behind me. Just every little bit I would see a small fire ball bouncing on the pavement. I finally got curious enough to stop the car. Now this is how sleepy I was. When I looked under the car there was a chunk of something burning on the pavement. Like a complete idiot, my first thought to myself was, I better move my car forward off that burning blob before it catches my car on fire. Duh. .This sad realization of my true situation finally dawned on my feeble brain. Luckily, I had managed to get the car stopped in front of one of the few houses on the road. I started towards the house, when I saw, there in the yard, one of the biggest Doberman Pinschers in the entire world. Just standing there staring at me. With an evil look in it?s eyes. I looked at the Doberman. I looked back at my burning car. I looked at the Doberman again. Then back at my burning car, which I knew had an almost full tank of gas and would make a terrible explosion. I finally decide, ahhhh?screw it. I charged at a dead run across the yard and started screaming and pounding on the door, ?My care is on fire, my car is on fire!!!?I woke up the entire neighborhood. Before I roused the Dobermans owners, 2 guys from across the road came out and doused the fire in my car. When it was out and we were all standing around trying to catch our breaths and calm down, I felt something wet on my hand. It was a very friendly Doberman licking me.

Replying to berakdYour father is not dead "because" the fact he was wearing a seatbelt. If he was not "apparentley" on a high speed chase after a criminal then he wouldnt have gotten hit by the person not paying attention to the sirens on his police car. If it wasnt for his seat belt he probalbly would have been ejected from the car and decapitated.-reply by Justin

seatbeltsSafety Seat Belts & Car AccidentsSo what ever happened to personal choice? 17 times more people die from tabacco use but you don't see the government prohibiting its use! Its also been proven that wearing a helmet while riding a motorcycle helps reduce injuries but many states have reversed the law from public outcry! I say if your 21 and up it should be your choice.-reply by carl

Replying to berakdAnd you think your friend or grandfather would have been better off flying through the windshield? your grandfather especially would have been screwed even more if he didnt have his seatbelt-reply by don't worry about it

I have a fear of wearing a seat belt. I feel trapped and I am terrified of water. I can't swim. I don't want to burn up. I would rather be thrown out of a car and take my chances than to trust a seatbelt. I know it is the law, but I have even had a police officer tell me in some cases seat belts can cause more problems than they help. If I was not able to move and it went into water or caught on fire, I would suffer a terrible death. What if a baby was strapped in a baby seat and the driver was not able to help them, they would burn up or drown in the water. Please tell me if I am crazy for feeling this way. I was a mother in the 60's and my kids jumped all over the car, stuck their heads out the window, rode on the back of a truck. I think seat belts are over rated. The car companies charge more for the seat belts, car seats for kids is another way for someone to make money, and the cops get to give you a ticket if they stop you and you don't have on a seatbelt. Hope someone feels like I do.  

-reply by Linda

In South Carolina in 2009,  40% of traffic deaths were not wearing seat belts.  That means 60% of deaths were wearing seat belts.  If my math brain is still working it sounds to me like it is safer not to wear a seat belt than it is to wear one.

Harry

-reply by Harry

why should we wear seatbelts? answer to Safety Seat Belts & Car Accidents

I have seen many acccidents and or know ones who have been in one. My mother when she was growing up didnt ever really wear seatbelts... Who did? thats until she got into a car reck,.. My mother was thrown out of the car... I have no objections on not wearing a seatbelt. THEY SAVE LIVES! they help keep people from getting thrown around. Not wearing a seatbelt BECause you are scared if u crash into water. Wearing that will give you the ability to stay in physical contitons to save your self then it would if u didnt have one on. Think about it. If you didnt have one on when you crashed in the water... Your head could have been crashed into the steering wheel or the dashboard.. Now what. Your knocked out and WILL no DROWN. Think about it. Excuses are dumb. Its a simple 2 second jesture that can give you a better chance in living through the crashes and seeing your children again or your mother your family your boyfriend or girlfriend.I AM 18. I WEAR MY SEATBELt EVERYDAY. NOMATTER WHAT.More than 60 percent of the occupants killed in fatal crashes were unrestrained." It is estimated that less than 70 percent of Americans wear seat belts; if only 90 percent of passengers wore seat belts, it would prevent more than 132,000 injuries and 5,500 deaths annually.Buckle up , arrive alive. Click it or ticket. They aren?t just made to be annoying very common taglines just to be said. They have a meaning and a PURPOSE.Replying to iGuest

-reply by brandy hoelting

I think that the best precaution a driver can take is to drive very carefully. Seat belts and air bags offer some sort of protection during an accident but who could say how fatal the accident could be?

Safety belt are not common in india. People die even with that putting on. The extreme cases of accidents is what causing this. There is no way person survives with or without belts. But still they ask us to compulsory keep them on highways. In city there is no compulsion for belts. The number of accidents in city are far less than the cases on highways. I don't think so though it matters. especially when bikes in speed have impact with one side of the car there is going to be damage no matter what.

Seat belts vs. no seat belts are about 50/50 in terms of whether you will live or die. If you pay attention to the traffic statistics (which every state and the national government in the U.S. release publicly) it is clear that this is true.Just as many people die because of seat belts (cars catch on fire, people get smashed instead of tossed from the car, etc.) than those who die for not having them on. Driving is dangerous and nothing is going to change that until vehicles themselves go through massive changes.

Why should seat belts should be used???

-question by Ashley

Because they save lives. for example my cousin was not wearing a seat belt while in a car, he got in a crash, went through the windshield and died. and yet his younger sister was buckled in next to him, and she is still alive today