xisto Community
Voidless_Shadows

The Year 2038 Bug

Why keep time in 9 digit numbers (seconds after January 1970), 32 bit values, when you can just keep time like a normal human? What I mean, is keeping separate values for every part of a date, then have a formula that controls the numbers. Instead of 2147483647 wouldn't it be easier to just have the computer add 1 to the number of years after a certain number of days etc... even a watch or digital calendar will record time until the year 10000, why can't a computer do it? Isn't it just simple math.... why can't a computer be programed like: "if it is January, set 31 as number of days in month, then add 1 day after 24 hours, 1 hour after every 60 minutes, 1 minute after every 60 seconds, and add 1 year after every [number of seconds], then after [however many years], add 1 to the century digit etc..."Although that might be a simple minded non-technical theory, and computers probably can't do it, period.

"Oh no, this will cause real problems, after reading it and trying it out, this does cause all network-oriented programs to cease to work, but by then nobody will use any of the technology that is related in this bug...Y2K was because PCs didn't store the century, I.e. it would think 1901 and 2001 are the same year, which is sketchy.Well... it's hard for me to explain bacause I'm not very good with computers to begin, so I'll just quote.Y2K was LARGELY hyped by the media, and alot of systems did have to be upgraded/changed to avoid failure."Im scared my comp mite pack in now! Im so glad my pc missed the previous bug but 2038. Im permanently on msn messenger and yahoo messenger so i hope they have edited their programs so this bug does not hit it.

I think by 2038 all the computer systems around will have this problem fixed.Then again it coudl save lives. If norh korea and the USA were going to have a nuclear showdown in 2038, and they tried to fire their missiles they'd get a big error message and the missiles wouldn't launch lol :) if only...

Oh no, this will cause real problems, after reading it and trying it out, this does cause all network-oriented programs to cease to work, but by then nobody will use any of the technology that is related in this bug...Y2K was because PCs didn't store the century, I.e. it would think 1901 and 2001 are the same year, which is sketchy.
Well... it's hard for me to explain bacause I'm not very good with computers to begin, so I'll just quote.
Y2K was LARGELY hyped by the media, and alot of systems did have to be upgraded/changed to avoid failure.

hum...

found a few flaws...

1. i set my date/time to what the site says... and even after it

my date was still the jan 17 2038 ...

also EVEYTHING still worked so its not a problem... i think you should stop spaming...

I don?t think it will be a problem. Some people tried to spread real panic with the Y2K effect and then nothing happened, at least nothing important. And that time people started to think and talk about that problem not too much time before and almost everything ws fixed so I think that if we are right now on 2006, it?s even easier to make sure that there won?t be nothing wrong when the date comes.I must admit that I was really dissapointed when nothing happened in year 2000. I was not waiting for the end of the world, but I expected a little chaos at least. And nothing, another year change, as boring as the rest. :)

allright i rebooted my computer and had a few problems but none that i couldnt fix...cookies had expired... (but thats cause the sites had not had em out in that year yet...)when i wanted to close a program it poped up a message saying something and the program crashed but they all worked fine...other than that eveything was fine..

It was better the 2000 virus, like the espicial chapter on the simpsons, but a virus in the 2038 is a boring repeticion, if it is real it will apear on the news or something like that

also EVEYTHING still worked so its not a problem... i think you should stop spaming...

I have had programs that stopped working due to dates set past 2038. It is something to do with some of the old time/date routines that use 32 bit integers and can't convert dates too far in the future.

I would hope that most recent programs wouldn't have this problem, as (hopefully) most serious programmers are aware of this problem. Another solution would be someone writing something into OS's that prevent just allow the program to run normally.
Edited by Yacoby (see edit history)

I agree with most people here. I don't see the real problem. I was also around when the Y2K bug came up but then again, nothing really happened... Jeez... Besides, like another member said, we do have an early start and I'm also pretty sure that the problem will be fixed by then... Jeez... 2038 is a long way off... Plus yeah... I don't think I'll still be using this PC by then either. I don't see what the fuss is about.

Having watched these computers we use grow over the years, and with the current growth not expected to slow down any time soon, I would imagine that in 32 years from now, the only 32-bit machines will be in Museums.I think this 2038 problem will go away with new chipsets and new codes. Thirty two years is still a long time away.

Agreed. This will definitely not be an issue down the road unless we go into some serious debt and cannot afford to make technological advances...good chance that will happen :). We can all debate and get all scared now but I'd say in 5 years this won't even be a question mark at the end of the sentence.

i agrree with you guys, if for some reason we cant figure out how to prevent a bug by the year 2038 we deserve it.. our world is advancing in technology everyday.. and everyday im sure they are thinking of new things and new ways of preventing things from happemning.. so im pretty confident that nothing will happen just like the y2k bug, that was supposedly going to mess everything up