xisto Community
Voidless_Shadows

The Year 2038 Bug

We will defiently be able to get around this. There is still many many years before 2038 and who knows what will be out at that time. But it would be crazy if this glitch did have some big effect on everything. But it probally won't becuase they were scared about the year 2000 and nothing happened so i doubt anything will happen in 2038.

It wont be nothing special. If you look at the quote (the article in the link):

The year-2038 bug is similar to the Y2K bug in that it involves a time-wrap problem not handled by programmers. In the case of Y2K, many older machines did not store the century digits of dates, hence the year 2000 and the year 1900 would appear the same.
Of course we now know that the prevalence of computers that would fail because of this error was greatly exaggerated by the media. Computer scientists were generally aware that most machines would continue operating as usual through the century turnover, with the worst result being an incorrect date. This prediction withstood through to the new millennium. Effected systems were tested and corrected in time, although the correction and verification of those systems was monumentally expensive.

There are however several other problems with date handling on machines in the world today. Some are less prevalent than others, but it is true that almost all computers suffer from one critical limitation. Most programs work our their dates from a perpetual second counter - 86400 seconds per day counting from Jan 1 1970. A recent milestone was Sep 9 2001, where this value wrapped from 999'999'999 seconds to 1'000'000'000 seconds. Very few programs anywhere store time as a 9 digit number, and therefore this was not a problem.

It is something like Y2K but it probably will be solved. I mean how many more years do we have till this happens? I'm guessing a LOT

I figure they'll fix it before the problem can occur. There are so many new computer updates that it would be ridiculous for computer companies not to fix these problems. Businesses will pay big money to have this fixed beforehand.

2038... Most of us would be 40+ year-old... >.<So we got another media bubble, they will make sure it stays that what until 2037 at least, so they can cause some fear and give old ladies some stokes! Just remind me if they don't find a solution by at least 2010... That way I know man-kind sucks, big! BTW, what would happen if everything stopped, no water or electricity? Big deal! People lived without them, they used to get the water themselves and they lived! looking for proof? Us!

Computers are already being updated to 64 bit platforms (Vista and Windows XP Professional have already started). So, since this is a 32 bit error, I figure it will never be a problem for me. I, without a doubt will have a computer with at least 64 bits in 30 years.

who knows? we have enough knowledge to know that we can't put 100% trust in computers so we'll always have someway of destroying them (destroy the power source etc) but if this does happen and all the 32-bit devices shut down all of a sudden can be quite catastrophic if the orld still hasn't moved to 64-bit.Lucky for me I'm already 64-bit

Just think of the people in the hospital. What if the bug WILL exist? All those on life support will be ruined. Although, by then, there may be a solution. If not, well, they'll just have to find a way won't they?

When it comes to computers, we can never be too sure about when there will be a bug or not and how it will affect us. When I was a kid i learned about the Y2k bug. Bad things would happen when the bug time comes and bla bla bla.. I even saw clips of drills on CNN about the bug and the measures the people were taking to rectify/timely coordinate the with the immediate effects of the big. I saw computers being released with y2k certified logos and nothing happened. I doubt that anything will happen in this scenario too. Besides we've got around 10 years to do something about it. Whats there to loose. But then again we might never know that when we turn our backs to some issue that is small in nature turns out to be a monstrousity and kills us all :XD: a little exagerating here..lol

20分钟前说这视频 我是一个叫晶晶的女孩,前几天,我晚自习回家,被一辆大卡车撞死了,司机将我的尸体抛入了路径边的小河里,然后逃走了,你看见了这条消息后,请将她发给4个论坛,如果没有发,你的妈妈会在1个月后被车撞死,你的爸爸会得绝症,如果你照 着上面做了,在5天后,你喜欢的人也会喜欢你,这条消息太毒了,我不得不发 我只是希望我喜欢的人,爱上我

NO I already saw some similar topic to this and this is no real problem for the Windows users but rather for the Linux users and this will certainly be corrected until that date so no unneccessery need to worry about htings that are not true.Internet will not crash down you will not gain any money in the bank nor you will lose any. Unless someone hacks bank computer.Also I repeat once more no need to worry everything will be OK keep it up. And you'll live trough this also.