xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Albus Dumbledore

Wages For Graphic Designers Have you seen how much these folks make?

albus you sure that $100,000 dollars or $100,000 pennies, gfx designers 40-50K tops. Writing that would about right and then if oyu sell a book you might as well put another 0 somewhere as well.

like i said in the first post sm, i looked on the website and it said graphic designers wanted, somthing like 4-5 years experiance, and the wage was listed at 100-150k a year... lol even if they dont make that much 45-50k a year would be good for side money :)

As I said earlier in this thread, graphic design isnt an instant ticket to being wealthy.For once, this is one topic on here I can talk about with a reasonable amount of knowlege. I have done it (freelance & employed) & as a rule it is badly paid & utterly unestimated by clients.Whatever you do is normally wrong & has to be changed, & commercial graphic design usually involves desinging brochures for industrial nail guns, not mercedes brochures...Be prepared to be dissappionted.

Well, if you think about it it's not that surprising. I'd say at least 90% of the media and advertising depends on their visual appeal. If their commercial or website does not look good then they won't sell or get any attention.I've been getting into graphic design lately because it's a really valuable skill to possess. As a college student or teenager it's also valuable as a side job to pay tuition. For example, my sister got paid $250 CAN by a guy who wanted a CD cover and back designed for his own album. He was really pleased with it afterwards and it only took her about a day to come up with the design, aprove it and then another to make it.Who needs to work in a fast food joint for minimum wage when they can get a deal like that? That's just one guy though, it isn't always so simple; especially if you work for a company. Artists of any kind who work for others may find it challenging to get exactly what their employer wants. You can't read their minds and I think everyone's had that boss that doesn't really know what he wants himself but expects you to. Like someone before me has said you will most likely have to change a lot of things and it can be stressful.So yes, it pays well IF you're hired by the right person, however it's not like graphic designers are getting off easy.

I have heard becuase so many people know how to do it. People get very little for websites. But if you are really good better than most people your gonna get the big money. Or if you do big projects for celberties. Or something like that.

I think the amount a freelance graphic designer gets paid is only limited by what the client is prepared to pay. I know that sounds obvious, but the same for different clients can result in very different pay checks. I have been paid $3,000 for a web site in the past and I know that is much than what the customer was paid as I was only the designer, the guy that made the sale rpobably made just as much if not more. Now this site was not a 5 minute thing, it took about 3 months of drafts, meetings and subsequent changes. Mind you, I had a full time job at the time so this only done in my spare time, it was a nice little source of pocket money. :)

obviously how much you earn will depend on the country you are living in , i know friends who are full time designers and earned 3k a month , can you believe it , but still they are considered average earners and will probably live the more or less the same sytle as a 50k earner in some other country , for myself i am onto designing because i simply love it ,so it is nice you get a good salary by doing what you love mos

I'd say it depends on the quality of work, I've sen some whip up really professional-like designs and ask for around 1k-3k per job. Also, as per websites (depending if its the front-end/back-end) also pretty much varies as well (website space, registration, so forth.. then the time taken to build the site ie layout, graphics, etc).

For freelance it depends on how well you make yourself known, and how much you charge at the same time. Truly, some people charge more than they should be, which gets them a higher income. And as for a steady job, it depends on the company.

bingo ! :)

people usually think technical skills = money. but in reality that's not the case. it's how you sell yourself :P you may be the best in the world, but if you can't win a project, you won't earn anything.

but then again, this is just the 2 cents of someone who's just starting in the industry :P but i've tried freelancing before, just to get a feel of it. and frankly, i find it harder to win a project, than to deliver the job :P but you just have to make a name for yourself B) ..at least, to those who you've made projects for :P

like what they say, the more you are in demand, the more you can charge :P

yeah, to become a truley money making graphics designer, i am sure that it depends on how you let yourself known to the company's who need allot of graphics designing to be done.

Edited by Albus Dumbledore (see edit history)

thanks dude you just inspired me to keep working on my gfx lol, i was about to quit but when i heard that i opened every tutorial i could find :) thanks heaps dude .......... WOOTT

Notice from truefusion:
Removed "sign-off". Please don't sign off your posts.

thanks dude you just inspired me to keep working on my gfx lol, i was about to quit but when i heard that i opened every tutorial i could find :) thanks heaps dude .......... WOOTT //Wizkidda

jsut keep in mind that you need experiance, so get a job at like a very small business making graphics, and get yourself known to big buisnessed out there. if they have a website, join and post your work on their forums if they have any.

the problem in australia is that no one like paying for anything so if i become one then i won't get as much than if i become an engineer for an oil company. then again there aren't a lot of them here so maybe they do get paid.it all depends on the company though and what type of designing your gonna do i think.

the problem in australia is that no one like paying for anything so if i become one then i won't get as much than if i become an engineer for an oil company. then again there aren't a lot of them here so maybe they do get paid.
it all depends on the company though and what type of designing your gonna do i think.

well i would think that you could still get a job as a gfx designer over the internet, find someone in the US that might hire you over the internet to do it all.. but then again, im sure that they would want to meet you in person to tel you what they want so it would probably be just too much of a hastle to do it over the internet sucks for you austrailians

why yes it does suk! some companies in australia probally would like come graphics designers but as i've said no one here wants to pay for anything, i guess thats why most of the graphics designers are in america, i'll have a look around and see how much they are paying but i can tell you it won't be much at all.