xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Plenoptic

Dell Laptop Explodes - Leads To Major Recall

Well I read this article earlier this week and thought I would share it. A Dell laptop blew up at a conference in Japan. lol I thought it was sort of funny, luckily no one was hurt and it wasn't on that person's lap (ouch). Some think it could be related to a battery recall made a while back recalling atleast 22,000 batteries. This computer actually looks like mine, hopefully mine doesn't do the same thing. I have never heard anything like this before. Sort of scary to believe that the laptop you are losing could blow up severly injuring someone or killing them. I guess it had little explosions, several them within five minutes.

Here is a link to the article: http://www.theinquirer.net/

lol. The laptop looks like my 5150 and I must say, that baby does get hot after a while. Will it explode with flames permeating in and out of it? I sure hope not. But yeah, if this was really a big concern, I'm sure Dell would have made a more public recall (as I don't remember hearing about anything of the like on the news). It's probably just an isolated case.

I believe that there has been a recall of batteries. I was hearing something before I left home about laptop batteries but I seldom pay any attention to stuff such as that. Sounds scary though.... At least no one got hurt. Yet....

Ya like I said earlier there was a recall on batteries but they never said that that is what it was related to. My laptop also looks like that but it is an Inspiron 1150 (non continued) and it gets really hot after a while but hasn't blown up yet. I don't think it will, it seemed like a once in a thousand chance.

Wow, that's scary. I'm not buying a Dell laptop now lol. I'm sure it will never happen again though. Although I don't think I believe the Inquirer.

I don't believe it either. Many "news" websites have been making up fake stories, or publishing ones that other people made up. So you need to be able to trust the source. And I'm afraid to say the Inquirer is not a trusted news source.

And I don't know if there was a recall of batteries or whatever, though I think there was. Without a known reason for the recall, however, that is a moot point. After all, it could be that the recall was for a completely different reason, and that people are just trying to prove something that isn't even remotely true.

If it really did happen, however, then I am just thankful that there were no injuries, and hope it doesn't happen again. But then, unless someone tampers with them, it is a one-in-a-million chance.

I know this is rather morbid of me but...."Dude...your getting a Bomb".Anyway, I hope there are more explosions and no one gets hurt. I also don't trust the source too much, but I find the idea rather comical. <_<

Exploding laptops?I'm not buying a laptop for a while now. I have a Dell Dimension Desktop but currently not interested in laptop computers. They are portable and conveinient, but not a priority in my life as of now.

That is very interesting. However, i guess eventually a laptop was going to explode from malfunctioning. They have been out for so long with out any issues like this so it was bound to happen. Thankfully no one was hurt and hopefully it wont happen in the near future again.

Wow, it's not like that gets covered every day. If people cared to learn if there was a recall on their product if this would even happen. Also, a Digg poster noticed one thing about all these laptops in these stories - they all had their liud closed and were most likely on stand-by mode, so I suggest if you take care of your laptop be not putting in stand-by mode or using it for long periods of time you should be fine..

Don't forget that the real reason for it exploding is not mentioned. Maybe the owner of the laptop placed a cheap non-original accu in the laptop. Original accu's (newer ones for laptops and phones, lithium polymer cells might have some sort of security on the 'overloading' (not sure what it's called in English), but fake unknown cheap brand accu's do not. That's why in cellphone's manual they always remind you to use only original accu's, when you don't your device might overheat and explode and the same might be true for laptops.Btw, I read that this particular type of laptop overheats often, maybe not explode, but it does start smoking and inside parts melt, meanwhile Dell doesn't do much about it.

I do believe thesee articles about the laptops exploding, there have been a few other dells to explode which i have heard about, (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/)

Here is another i found in south africa

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

But it seems to me that it is not just dells i found this apple mac which seems to have had the same problem:

http://gizmodo.com/191968/apple-powerbooks-eksploderer-too

I think however it is not all the fault of the manufactorer, some of the blame is on them for creating a faulty, unstable battery but some of the blame is on the customer for ignoring the prosuct recalls (which is the cause of all these incidents)

Anyway here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure:

The exploding mac

Posted Image

The famous convesion explosion (Dell)

Posted Image

The convension dell actualy exploding

Posted Image

Another dell which has exploded

Posted Image

Edited by Bkag (see edit history)

It was just on the news this morning <_<
I saw it on TV as well I heard it on Q104 news.

4.1 million laptops recalled due to an overheating battery and risk of fire and explosion hazard. All laptops manufactured from April 2004 to May 2006 will need to be recalled for safety concerns.

Haven't heard anything else, I'll edit if I do.

i checked my battery after reading that article and im one number off on one of the bad battery packs.