xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Plenoptic

Dell Laptop Explodes - Leads To Major Recall

***sorry to bump but it seemed pointless to make this into a new thread***

Hey guess what a dell laptop has just exploded in yahoo hq check out this article (by engadget)

We just got word that a Yahoo employee's laptop went up in flames today at their Mission College campus down in Silicon Valley, causing hundreds of Yahoo employees to be evacuated from an 8-story building. The culprit: you guessed it, a Dell machine whose faulty cell that should have been replaced (don't they have corporate memos at those big companies?) instead caught fire. From what we now know it doesn't seem like anyone was hurt, but let this be a lesson, people: you have the means, now take Dell up on the freaking recall before something disastrous happens.

Update: So it looks like Yahoo uses HP and Mac laptops -- not Dells -- making it very likely this was someone's personal machine that they brought to work. Wrong day to bring your laptop to the office, man.

Pic

Posted Image

allright for the few spectics here (i think thats right) yes there was a recall on batteries and the ac adaperter thingys... i had to get my ac thing replaced due to the recall...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/123979/article.html http://news.a.com.com/

theres 3 siets i trust.. specialy the dell site for there own info... lol

Oh, man, those pictures are scary! Now I know this wasn't a hoax! I'm glad nobody got hurt.But I have to say I am not at all surprised about all this - Dell have been notorious for causing problems. Which is why I'll never buy a computer from them. I think a nice HP will suit me...

Posted Image

Does anyone else find that image extremely disorienting? It looks like someone set broken concrete or heavily burned plastic onto the keyboard, but how it stayed upon the keyboard when put in that position, I cannot tell. It doesn't look like it's exploding at the moment the picture is taken (aside from the debris and a dusty look, there are no signs on anything wrong with the laptop), and the angle is odd, not to mention the laptop is set up in a very strange way. I'm probably overanalizing this, but the picture does not seem like the results of a blown-out laptop. If anything, it looks like someone set up the laptop, covered it in dust, and then dropped some debris and took a fast-shutter, high-resolution picture of it just as it was falling down the length of the keyboard. In fact, with the keyboard of the laptop leaning "inward" (meaning, toward the camera), it looks like the debris was glued onto the keyboard, except it looks too heavy for glue to hold it. Edited by Cerebral Stasis (see edit history)

Does anyone else find that image extremely disorienting? It looks like someone set broken concrete or heavily burned plastic onto the keyboard, but how it stayed upon the keyboard when put in that position, I cannot tell. It doesn't look like it's exploding at the moment the picture is taken (aside from the debris and a dusty look, there are no signs on anything wrong with the laptop), and the angle is odd, not to mention the laptop is set up in a very strange way. I'm probably overanalizing this, but the picture does not seem like the results of a blown-out laptop. If anything, it looks like someone set up the laptop, covered it in dust, and then dropped some debris and took a fast-shutter, high-resolution picture of it just as it was falling down the length of the keyboard. In fact, with the keyboard of the laptop leaning "inward" (meaning, toward the camera), it looks like the debris was glued onto the keyboard, except it looks too heavy for glue to hold it.

You know as I looked at it I thought the same thing. Plus who is going to have a camera ready though at the exact time it blew up? I looked again though and it looked like it had been burning because the things are faded and what not but they probably editted it because debris wouldn't be flying all over if it is already put out. Then again I've never seen a laptop explode before. You never know. I think that some of it might have been editted but there are also some pretty probably effects seen as well.