xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Albus Dumbledore

Bird Flu, Aka H5n1, Is Anyne Worried About It?

Well, in the past few years we have descovered that around the world very few cases of somthing called The Bird Flu, scientificly known as H5N1, i was watching a show a few minutes ago and they said that the second highest way that the world will suffer a mass extinction was by the bird flu, and mainly because there is no cure for it yet, but there is one in the making since it is verry similar to the 1950's Mexican Flu...my basic question is : Is anyone worried about this?i mean, this flu right now is concidered one of the worse virisues in the world because there is no cure...and although it is possible to live past it... it is not likely....old peoples immune systems are weak. most vonurable to die first.young people's immune systems are still weak because they are in the making...mid peoples immune system isgood but not good enough, so basicly we need a cure for itare you worried? lol

Hi Albus,I'm not worried currently at all about the bird flu, and here is why.1)So far, most cases of the bird flu is restricted to people handling the birds or living in close proximity to them.A few other cases it seems that if you come into contect with a person infected with the virus, you are more at risk of getting infected if you are biologically related to them(at least thats what I've read).So, unless you are living in a bird firm,or come into close contect with relatives who are infected, chances of infection are slim. Besides I have taken the added precaution of not eating chicken at all, and maybe eating chicken eggs only after boiling for 10 minutes. I'm sure all that boiling will kill any virus.However, please take note of the "currently" in the first sentence. Because like all other living things, the bird flu can mutate into a more easily transmissable strain very quickly. In that eventuallity,I think even worrying about it would not do much good for the simple fact that if it can transmit like a normal flu virus, practically everyone will get it sooner or later,thus what's the use of worring about a situation that I can't do much about and will wipe everyoneelse out sooner or later,it would be like worrying if a comet strikes earth.I think if that really happens, besides living like a hermit, you can't do anything really.On the brighter side of things, I'm normally an optimistic person,and I'd just like to remind everyone about a different illness much like a bird flu that we ALREADY experiences, namely SARS. There was also worry that it could become airborne. However with strict measures put in place, eg screening airline passengers for fevers, contect tracing, quarentine, etc, we managed to control it, and today it shows no signs of resurfacing. I am hopeful that the same thing will happen with bird flu, measures will be put in place to minimise the impact,new vaccines will be developed to help protect against it, and health authoroties will be able to manage it.As for the present, I can only encourage everyone to live everyday like it is your last and enjoy it fully

First of all I think it is cause for concern. Yes as of to date, only 205 people have been infected, BUT 113 have died. Thats an alarming statistic no matter how you look at that.Flu shots, washing hands, vitamins, the healthiest immune systems...it won't matter. This type of influenza virus kills the healthiest of the healthy. The 1918 flu killed people ages 20 to 35 FIRST.

I am a bit worried about it since it does spread through species other than humans. Imagine what happens if lets say a whole poultry farm gets infected. Thats thousands of animals that have gotten a deadly disease and that leaves a very good possiblity for humans to catch it from at least a few of those birds. Obviously, humans are going to spread it to each other most of all once a bunch get infected. I think its probably good that it is summer now because people don't catch stuff as often then. Hopefully this just tapers out like SARS did.

uh, im not worried about it. I guess becuase i havent seen anyone close to me with it. I honestly dont really know what it does to you or how it is spread. I dont think i know anything about this virus or disease. Ive only ehard it on the news lke its gunna kill us all hah. but sutin lke the bird flu doesnt sound so dangerous but i guess it really is according to how the news talk about it. hopefully ill never have to worry about the bird flu.

Fortunately my country has not been affecte by The Avian virus yet, most countries around us here in South east Asia have already victims of that virus. our government is doing evertything to prevent the flu from entering our country. Since A lot of birds from around the world is migrating here in the Philippines, the people really have to worry. Most businesses here are livestock industry and, Aside from the deaths that would come due to the flu, they will surely be affected by the panics, people would not buy chickens anymore. But we are lucky that the flu has not entered our country yet. Some experts say it is due to the geographical location of the place. And some says it is so hot here that the virus gets killed by the high temperature. but what ever the reaason behind that luck, i am so thankful that no one has been infected and died yet.

I'm not too concered, because half the time diseses that are on the news are exagerated. However, I may be eating my words here in the next few years when it does become an epidemic and we are all dying from it. However, I do see it as a issue that needs to be looked into, at least with comming up with ways to treat it, if not cure it, and prevent it from spreading. This is because if we do not, then we will have an epidemic for sure and personally I don't want there to be The Great Bird Flu Epidemic in the history books.

I sense another conspiracy theory coming out of bird flu, something like an attempt to counter the growing number of pigeons. So, a decision was made to cull the pigeons, by infecting them with a killer virus, which has since grown out of all proportion.Could be a good book subject for Michael Crichton. :)

there was a big panic in europe about this. eastern europe has it in their wild bird migrating there. there was even a dead swan with it found in the UK. so far though the european chickens are alright. though through fear many of them were culled near the migrating bird's habitats and others were banned from going outside.