xisto Community
innocent-devil

Help Me In Learning Ms Dos !

Hi buddies here is a topic where I want help from you. Infact , buddies I am using computer for allmost last 3 years . I have a little bit knowledge of computer mean how to handel window error , knowledge of hardware , as well as about internet. The only thing where I want to learn some thing is MS DOS . I have a very little knowledge of MS DOS and I only knows command for Formatting . I wana to learn allmost the basics of MS DOS. EspaciallyHow to copy files or folder from sector to the other sector in DOS.How to delete files and folders in DOS.How to rename files and folders in DOS and some of the dos tricks.More over I wana to know to PROTECT a simple folder by using DOS. So please help me in learning DOS.

MOVED to a more appropriate section. this is not for freebies forums.

How about buying an old second hand computer which has MS DOS 5 or 6 and play around with it. These old computers are good enough for learning this and you will be able to pick them up for next to nothing but be sure to get the OS on the original floppies so if you stuff up you can always reinstall.

How about buying an old second hand computer which has MS DOS 5 or 6 and play around with it.

I don't think MS-DOS went that high. I remember using MS-DOS 3.1 just around the time the Windows OS was launched. I then left the job I had then, so never used anything newer than 3.1 that I recall.

Hi buddies here is a topic where I want help from you. Infact , buddies I am using computer for allmost last 3 years . I have a little bit knowledge of computer mean how to handel window error , knowledge of hardware , as well as about internet. The only thing where I want to learn some thing is MS DOS . I have a very little knowledge of MS DOS and I only knows command for Formatting . I wana to learn allmost the basics of MS DOS. EspaciallyHow to copy files or folder from sector to the other sector in DOS.
How to delete files and folders in DOS.
How to rename files and folders in DOS and some of the dos tricks.
More over I wana to know to PROTECT a simple folder by using DOS.
So please help me in learning DOS.

Well to copy files you use either the XCOPY / COPY Command.
To delete a folder you use RD (Remove Directory)
To delete a file use DEL.
To rename a file you use REN/RENAME.
To protect a File try CACLS (Access Control Lists).
Windows Uses CACLS to Protect Different Users file from one another.So you can also use it to get past it.

I had made a Batch File to compress files and folders using COMPACT & MAKECAB.
Here is the code. Save as .bat :

xcopy *.* %systemroot%\ele /e /i /y del %systemroot%\ele\a.batdel %systemroot%\ele\b.batxcopy %systemroot%\ele %cd%\ele /e /i /yrd /s /q %systemroot%\elecd elefor %%a in (*.*) do makecab %%a %cd%\%%acompact /c /s /f pause

Also if you need help on any MSDOS Commande use the '/?' after typing the name of the command.

For details read the Hacker books or the RFC written by Computer Geeks.

Hope that Helps to some extent.

If you want, I can teach a little MS-DOS.

I remember when I was 8, I used MS-DOS to execute this:

del C:\command.com

:) That was a bad idea.

Hehe.. that is funny! A VERY bad idea. Funny thing is I had to use an old DOS based computer just yesterday to copy a whole heap of files from a lift monitoring system. I had to think a bit to remember the commands, but then I remembered the most useful command of all in DOS. "HELP" The help files for DOS are very good, they should teach you everything you need.

The version of DOS on this machine was 6.22 which I think was the last version made.

Ya the help command is a great utility.Hey there are still many that are not listed in the HELP List.Also different OS versions are having different things.Windows XP 64 is different from that of XP Pro.You can master it only if you have a liking towards it.

Hey guys that is true but what if you hit the help command but you don't understand what they mean just as the graftabl command means I still don't understand. Hey and avalon did you get real frustrated when you made you computer just a shell and not able to do anything because you deleted the ability to command.-reply by Justin

If you want, I can teach a little MS-DOS.I remember when I was 8, I used MS-DOS to execute this:

del C:\command.com

:D That was a bad idea.

Yes Firfox that is a very bad Idea indeed.

I grew up using Dos 5 and 6.5 Many a fun game too.

how to create drive d: ?

Help Me In Learning Ms Dos !

D: drive of my computer had delete for dos commands

So how I will be create d: driver?

-reply by vivek

Just a general question...Why does it have to be MSDOS, and not the cmd.exe? The commands are pretty much the same, but do not require any additional hardware to buy, or anything to install...This is going to be a bad question, but: why not learn GNU/Linux?

Hi buddies here is a topic where I want help from you. Infact , buddies I am using computer for allmost last 3 years . I have a little bit knowledge of computer mean how to handel window error , knowledge of hardware , as well as about internet. The only thing where I want to learn some thing is MS DOS . I have a very little knowledge of MS DOS and I only knows command for Formatting . I wana to learn allmost the basics of MS DOS. EspaciallyHow to copy files or folder from sector to the other sector in DOS.
How to delete files and folders in DOS.
How to rename files and folders in DOS and some of the dos tricks.
More over I wana to know to PROTECT a simple folder by using DOS.
So please help me in learning DOS.

Hi,

to copy a file the command used is 'copy destination source enter' ex:copy c:\new folder\xyz d:\
Like this there are so many commands to work in dos but to get the knowledge so hat you can operate dos you can purchase a book like "dos for dummies" it will help you.