xisto Community
scab_dog

Windows Vista Beta Available? There is one going around

I bet by now the program is done and over with though because they said they only had so many slots available for use in the public. So once all the slots are gone no more public beta testing. Although I definitly would go and test it, it can't have to many bugs left that are major I mean the Beta has been out for the MSDN subscribers for over a year.

well i am a subscriber to mdsn and i could not find any way of downloading the longhorn beta, but now im downloading the vista public beta, because i have the link and the porduct key numebr thing and stuff, they give it all to you when you sign up, im going to install it on my portable hardrive which is bootable and take it to schoolso then i wotn have to have all the filters and stuff that they have, so ill be surfing all the web with firefox instead of using ie and all this and then all my mates will be just gawping, ha losers, yeha its a pretty heafty download and i started it yesterday but i had to go out to meet some girls, so i couldnt continue the download so it didnt continue yesterday, but ive done a little bit today and im gonna let it go throuhg the night, then i should have windows vista only 3.3 gb lol, its going to be so cool, oww yeah and back to the topic yes you cna get a public beta of windows vista now, this one will have a lot less bugs than longhorn becuase it hsa been continuely developed and made better all the time!!, but to answer your question yes you cna legally own a copy of windows vista at the moment and there are probably a limit number of slots for the public to aqquire it so if you want to get your hands on this beta then i would go for it now adn get it as soon as possible, the beta is going to rock so much adn i will update you all how it is when i have got my edition!!!, should rocfk totally, any ways will return soon to tell you all how it is!!!

At the date of this post, I have found microsoft has released a Windows Vista Beta Download in .iso format at the following address: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/. I myself have not downloaded yet, but i definitely might in the future. This is a Official Microsoft Release and for that reason i would assume that it contains no spyware, adware, or virus. If the link does not work, Type "Windows Vista Beta" in the search box on microsoft.com

I have heard and that there is a Windows Vista Beta version going around. I have been to a torrent site and found few there. But I’m not going to download it because i'm guessing it is illegal.

Do any of you here have Windows Vista Beta? If you do what are the system requirements for it to run.

And i have heard there are few versions of this beta, one without the graphical 3D software (decreasing system requirements), and one with it.

Is this true?

Yes there is. You can request it from Microsoft's web site (go here: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/), either as a CD shipped to you for a fee, or a nice big download. I think you'll need a DVD burner to use the ISO download.

As far as system requirements, Microsoft suggests that you have a modern PC; I interpret that to mean like a 2.8 GHz or better Pentium 4 or like an Athlon 64 FX, 512 MB or more of RAM, 15 GB of hard drive space (that's according to Microsoft; they say that you should have at least 20 GB available), and a good graphics card that is DirectX 9 ready. I'm pretty sure that most current computers can stand up to that.

Yes there is. You can request it from Microsoft's web site (go here: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/), either as a CD shipped to you for a fee, or a nice big download. I think you'll need a DVD burner to use the ISO download.

As far as system requirements, Microsoft suggests that you have a modern PC; I interpret that to mean like a 2.8 GHz or better Pentium 4 or like an Athlon 64 FX, 512 MB or more of RAM, 15 GB of hard drive space (that's according to Microsoft; they say that you should have at least 20 GB available), and a good graphics card that is DirectX 9 ready. I'm pretty sure that most current computers can stand up to that.

Hi Guys,

I've tried the vista BETA and frankly I am not too impressed with it. Perhaps my PC is a little old , a Dell 4600 but oh my god vista really swallows resources.

First, the installation too nearly forever, and there were a few false starts but finally I managed to install it. I think my graphics card did not really like it because it kept hanging alot!! The glass like feature would be present for about 5 minutes than the whole thing hangs....you have to restart it.

On the whole I like the interface and look alot, very chick and moderm, give you a glass like efffect and there is a side console that looks preety uch like a driver dashboard, however because the OS is still in Beta, I could hardly find any applications that I could install and run on it.

Lastly, there are PLENTY of bugs...a bumber of features just arn't working at all.

So my conclusion is, even if Vista is out commercially I don't recommand anyone to run out and buy it just yet as there will sure to be a whole ton of patches and updates flooding in, I'd say wait at least a year.

So what do you do in the meantime, you like the Vista look but can't trust its reliability. Well good news is that there are plenty of Vista themes floating around for Windows XP, So just stick with XP dressed in Vista and wait about a year more.

I havent heard a lot about this, but I have heard the name so it rings a bell. What is up with it anyways? I mean I know it is going to bee badass but what is the scoop on it? I hope it's better than I expect it to be. It needs to be userfriendly.

I havent heard a lot about this, but I have heard the name so it rings a bell. What is up with it anyways? I mean I know it is going to bee badass but what is the scoop on it? I hope it's better than I expect it to be. It needs to be userfriendly.

Where have you been all these months? Vista has made it to the papers! Anyways, Vista is Microsoft's latest incarnation of Windows, which they promise (it will be broken within a week, I can guarantee that :) ) to be the latest and greatest. I don't really feel like typing out all of the huge improvements in Vista, so head over to http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ to read about anything and everthing that's in Vista.

I was one of those beta testers and currently I have Vista. First off, the bigest disapointment I have had is that the Aero effects have been disabled, due to "Program Incompatability". Another disapointment is that currently it has bugs, which is a given , not to bad its just when there is a big one and Vista can't handle it you are dead, you have to re-boot and start over on whatever you were doing, but that happens on average maybe once in three days. As people said up there it does tie up ram, but you should be ok with 512mb. Its really easy to get a key and download legally, BUT it only lasts until June 1, 2007, then Vista and any files associated with Vista will be inaccessable, unless you buy the upgrade and install that over the beta. If your computer is a depended on computer I don't think its a good idea to download Vista, as you will be frustrated if you typing something like this when all of a sudden it freezes. Oh, the download took me about 3-4 hours to download on a high speed broadband connection (RR) and then it took I'd say 45 minutes to an hour to install as an upgrade. It works good, but to bad about Aero. If you want to take a look at whats to be offered with the new operating system but not actually download it, you can download the IE 7 beta, WMP 11 (which from mu pov ROCKS) or the Microsoft Office 2007 programs easy, legally, and for free at microsofts site. Someone also said something about System Requirements, if you go to the Vista Beta site, listed below there is a utility you can download that will evaluate your computer to tell you if your computer is Vista compatable. According to microsoft new beta testers who do not have a key for Vista yet have until well... today to download Vista, and after today, if you have a key you can download Vista until July 14th, GET YOUR KEY QUICK.

Vista BETA:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

IE 7 BETA:

https://support.microsoft.com/help/17621

WMP 11 BETA:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Microsoft Office 2007 BETA:

http://www.microsoft.com/err/office/

If you have any more questions you can pm me.

Either all of you are wrong, or I got lucky somehow, because I went to microsoft.com, found the Vista section, and at the bottom, it said Download Windows Vista Beta. So I clicked it, it made me sign up at microsoft, so I did. Then I went back and it had a page with a serial key and like 8 different download links from several locations. It also sent me an email with the links so if I plan on downloading in the future.I may have just gotten lucky, but if not, then it's there.

Well ive got Vista release 1 from microsoft (no not beta, there past that stage) it works a treat you can buy it for about ?10 so thats around $22.

There is no reason an OS cannot run on a 866 Mhz machine with 256 MB ram, without a DVD drive decently. Linux can. Vista passes that line, wasting more space in the drive and memory than really needed. FreeBSD packs more features, decent applications, etc. into two CDs(1.4 GB approx) which includes KDE(which can do useless stupid effects and run decently on a machine such as mentioned) and as for Vista, it packs less into a 7 GB download(approx 7 CDs). What a waste...What a waste.

Well ive got Vista release 1 from microsoft (no not beta, there past that stage) it works a treat you can buy it for about £10 so thats around $22.

That is impossible, and probably illegal, Vista's beta testing new members acceptance closes tonight at 12:00, there is no way you can have a final copy, its not done yet. I am a beta tester and trust me, they can't be ready yet. Really, they aren't past that satge if they are still handing out betas, which they are. Just curious, how did you purchase it? Was it online or in a store.

Go to http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ and you will see, as I quote "Get Ready for Windows Vista

Getting ready for Windows Vista, available in early 2007, means choosing the edition that's right for you and ensuring that you have the right PC to enjoy the experiences you want."

I think you might have waisted that money.

what's the big deal about Vista anyways? It's just like mac osx tiger, runs like a cow and has the worst schemes I have seen since XP came out...

Seriously guys, just screw microsoft and get some distro of Linux. I bet that within weeks of the official release of vista (cause they cant do it legally before that), the software for most linux distros will have incorporated any new file extensions. even if you don't have the latest and greatest in hardware, linux runs on pretty much the crappiest pcs around. running server on 98mb RAM, all is smooth, even as a desktop, while even win98 lags.

not that I am saying I think everybody out there has 98mb RAM, but hardware was the concern in this topic...

Download the ISOs from the various sites and get going - or get free CD (and I mean free, postage paid and all). Linux isnt as hard as rumour would have it, and in some ways a lot like Windows.

When XP was first out it was all over the web about being the absolute best, and now vista is getting pretty much the same thing. Now that we all know that XP sucks, perhaps we can draw some conclusions to Vista?