xisto Community
BooZker

The Reason Why People Get Drunk? Isnt there a 1,000,000 other things you can do?

The people I know who purposely get drunk usually do it to look cool, which doesn't make sense to me becausing losing control of yourself usually just makes you look like an idiot. Some do it to forget about something that's bothering them, but most often it's all about their image.I agree with Ernest Hemingway's ideal of drinking...a person should drink (even if heavily) but not get drunk. That way, you can get the benefit of feeling relaxed but still know you won't be making an idiot of yourself.

I don't really get that either. People know the negative effects of drinking and what it does to you but they just do it to be 'cool'. I haven't gotten drunk personally so I can't really make judgements about people who do drink. I do know that some people use drinking as a way to escape reality and feel relaxed or whatever. I do agree with the OP, finding something to occupy your time can get you away from drinking/smoking and stuff like that.

Replying to CrashCoreThere is nothing wrong with drinking to enjoy yourself with a group of friends in the pub or at a club, I do it mostly every weekend! I feel great, nothing is wrong with me. When I'm drunk I feel I can interact better with others, have a good laugh, not really a care in the world. Which is great. For the people who are too young to drink and have never been drunk, why do you sit here saying you don't understand why people get drunk? and that you think its stupid? you will know what it is all about when the time comes... Peer pressure for drinking is the funniest thing I've heard! peer pressure for drugs is a different matter, and hopefully when you are 18 and old enough to drink (21 soon) you will not have friends that are so immature as into peer pressure. Being drunk for fun is deffinitley NOT a bad thing so don't make it out to be!-reply by bazza

Replying to CrashCoreThere is nothing wrong with drinking to enjoy yourself with a group of friends in the pub or at a club, I do it mostly every weekend! I feel great, nothing is wrong with me. When I'm drunk I feel I can interact better with others, have a good laugh, not really a care in the world. Which is great. For the people who are too young to drink and have never been drunk, why do you sit here saying you don't understand why people get drunk? and that you think its stupid? you will know what it is all about when the time comes... Peer pressure for drinking is the funniest thing I've heard! peer pressure for drugs is a different matter, and hopefully when you are 18 and old enough to drink (21 soon) you will not have friends that are so immature as into peer pressure. Being drunk for fun is definitely NOT a bad thing so don't make it out to be! and people who drink in excess have most likely been having a good time, and forgot to watch what they are drinking so have ended up absoloutley wasted. I know I have, and not because I wanted to, just because I wasnt careful. -reply by bazza

Its fun

The Reason Why People Get Drunk?

I completely agree with dreus when he says it relaxes people, its also really fun. As for the depressing part getting drunk alone is sad and does make you feel bad inside but with other people the mood is good and as long as you don't have enough to pass out or vomit its great.

But I also say don't drink until you think you are ready, but don't live without getting drunk atleast once.

-reply by Richard

I have to admit that I usually get drunk when I drink since I have very little alcohol tolerance. Usually one glass of wine or one mug of beer will do it.I find being drunk to be a pleasant experience since things like sports that I normally find dull like baseball suddenly become much more interesting. Other people's jokes which I would otherwise find dull become hilarious. In the back of my mind I know all this to be a temporary, illusionary thing somewhat like going to a superhero movie and imagining for a moment that someone could run around in long underwear and fight for justice.There are only about two times I can remember being hung over, and two times was at least one time too many. Arguably it's two times too many, but there's no way to know your limits without exceeding them.

Edited by Pimento Berry Oil (see edit history)

I never understood this myself. For the most part I tend to stray away from it. I know a lot of people underage tend to drink. I really don't understand why. The same with smoking. That's even worse in my opinion. That definitely does no good for you at all!Not trying to offend anyone but why do people do things to hurt themselves?

I never really understood it either, personally.I've gotten drunk twice. I didn't like either, considering one night I ended up pretty depressed and feeling like crap and the other night wasn't much fun either. I get my hangovers during that night and the next morning too, so it's a double-whammy... not fun.I can understand how people would like the buzz, as I like being a little looser and being able to talk to people without being the way I am now: hesitant and quiet. Judgment flies out the window too... which can be a good and bad thing. (Good for finally getting your butt out to the dance floor and making a fool of yourself for others to laugh at, bad for when you say things you shouldn't say.) I was never a partier, and never will be.Today I simply share moments with my friends with just a beer, or wine, or cocktails. I don't like the taste of alcohol and I'm a lightweight, so those really help me in not wanting to get drunk. Not to mention that alcohol acculmatively tastes worst to me (as opposed to "tasting like water") over time...Now, getting OTHER people drunk can be a funny time, depending on how the person is while intoxicated. There are some people I hate seeing drunk, and then there are people who can be a different kind of fun (because no one NEEDS alcohol to be fun, right?). No matter what though, it's still not that great to get others drunk as you're going to have to be that person who's going to end up taking care of that person, listen to them babble on and on about nothing, argue over nothing, cleaning that person's vomit out of your car, and ultimately, making sure they make it home safely. :) That's ASKING for responsibility on a night out right there... :)

I get drunk because sometimes i'm having a good time, the drinks are too delicious to pass up, and next thing ya know i'm drunk...but most of the time, i know my limit, last time i got drunk was in July. That was a bad day. I ended up at a bar and gave 50 dollars to get wasted.

My dad, who passed away at 92 in Feb 08, was a longtime member of AA, as well as a longtime drinker. He remained sober for the last 30 years of his life. He told me once about 30-35 years ago that people drink when they have an "inferiority complex", as it used to be called. Now I know he could not speak for everyone, but obviously that was HIS reason. Today it's known as low self esteem, which no one wants to admit to these days. The good thing is that it can be dealt with and fixed. But it takes a lot of work and self love, (the real kind---not narcisism) Peace.-reply by ames

I have some friends who drink a lot.They don't seem depressed though.I wonder if some of them actually have a serious addiction problem. Drinking for them is a knee jerk reaction.I learned a long time ago never drink when youare depressed.It only makes things worse.I'm glad I have control of my alcahol consumption.

I have some friends who drink a lot.They don't seem depressed though.I wonder if some of them actually have a serious addiction problem.
Drinking for them is a knee jerk reaction.
I learned a long time ago never drink when you
are depressed.It only makes things worse.
I'm glad I have control of my alcahol consumption.

well it is an adiction. I know been there myself as of this sept I will be (dry for 19yrs) some thing it os caused by stress. others by peer pressure in the teens. and some think you are bore with a gene that causes it. Being a alcaholic is a big debate. you do not have to be falling down drunk to be one as well. as for depression drinking? I agree, not good at all. but if you have or think you may have a problem in this?

1 take a look back at your family drinking history. if you have a family member that did or had a problem with drinking. look out.

2 If you think you have a problem. get some help.

3 see answers 1 and 2.

It was my college party I was in my first year and we were invited for the Block night. Teachers and others were also invited. I with three of my hostel mates went for the paty, all our dinner sponsored by the boys of the block.It is a regular yearly event that every block organizes except for our girls hostel. It was a normal event for me untill while returning back I realized something was wrong with the way was walking. It happened the same with my company. After we reached back, a call came to our phone, we did not have mobiles then, asking if we were all right. It was then we realized we were drunk, lightly, no harm done. It was the final year party for our seniors the following year when one of my company that block night was drunk and was on a fling. She had no idea that she will lose her boyfriend that night. People drink but should not be found wrong after being drunk.

Based on what I know of others(I've never drank before), drinking can or can not be an addiction, depending on who you are. I know some people that can drink a beer once a year, whereas others need many a day.As for why people start, it seems to be because it's the "socially accepted" way of relaxation. The "Everyone else does it, why not me?" type of thing.I just know that I have not, and will not ever drink alcohol. I've seen too many people's lives destroyed by it in the past. To me, it's not worth the risk.

Me personally, I get drunk for the fun of it. Living in Las Vegas alcohol pretty much pours out of the faucets. Everywhere you go you can get a drink. It does make thinks a lot more fun. Especially when I am playing blackjack or poker, you can get drunk, have a good time with the people around you and have a blast. I am not an alcoholic but I pretty much get drunk every other day cause I am constantly out partying. Plus my job as a VIP host sends me to the best of parties on a nightly basis. I dont know what others reasons are but I do it for the fun.