xisto Community
BooZker

The Reason Why People Get Drunk? Isnt there a 1,000,000 other things you can do?

It relaxes you, makes you do things u probably wouldnt if u werent drunk, which can be good or bad :rolleyes: No point in blaming it all on peer pressure or image, its your choice, but i feel it relaxes me as i'm shy, and i have more fun :lol:

Ok, I know I'm seeing this from a different angle, but there is no good reason to get drunk or even really drink in my book. I lost a good friend due to someone drinking and driving and living in a college town I have seen the worst of what alcohol does to people. I don't mind people who drink glass of wine every now and then, but its when people abuse that privilege is when I put my foot down. I personally think they need to stricken drinking laws even further. Especially when it comes to the punishment for DUI.

A lot of you say peer pressure and or image, but the friend i was refering to always just says lets get drunk or lets go to the beach this weekend and get drunk that will be sooooo fun. I just dont understand how surfing or jet sking isnt fun, but getting drunk is more fun. Why cant you get drunk any where else. Then i tell him you cant ride my jetskis when your drunk and he goes oh yah i was just kidding, buti have known him for so long i know he isnt.

Ive found that drinking and getting drunk is ok if your doing it socialy and in a controled enviroment...but dont just do it for the hell of it1. its a waste of money2. you really arnt that coolmost people do it to fit in and be "cool" but all it really does is mess with your brian and can get you into alot of trouble...

Peer pressure, relaxation, the feeling of euphoria you get and being socially at ease are a few reasons that people get drunk. I don't do it that much, and when I do its socially. I make sure I do 2 things when I drink.1. Don't get totally wasted (1 or 2 drinks at most).2. Come home sober so I don't get in trouble. (I'm underage).

Why do I drink? I drink to let myself loose and forget about my troubles and worries. I drink, yes I admit it and I like drinking. I don't drink every week but maybe once or twice every two weeks. I'm usually the quiet person who doesn't say much and stays in the background amongst only either only myself or a few others. I usually just do all the listening, lol.However once I start drinking I start just not caring what is happening in my life and let myself loose. I do some pretty stupid things which I won't speak of because they are that stupid, lol. Anyways yeah, I drink to let myself loose and forget about things.

haha i understand. I have been done with drinking though since i got suspended for it. To me it just seems like whats the point in wasting all that money and it does nothing good for you if you drink more then 1 or 2 beers or wine.

alot of people drink to get drunk, I do. for me its a social thng. the only time I see my mates is at the end of the week and we've been working all week and want to blow off some steam. pubs and clubs are very social places, and you get to like the atmosphere when everyone else is also drunk as you're all less restricted and can be happy.

people who have drinking problems usually hav low self-esteem and also have a organic problem because their body gets easily addicted to drugs,like alcohool and other stuff. and then there are those stupid people that do it only because they think it's cool or something and then when they realize they become some dunk people and become society trash.

People drink so they can be relaxed and not have to think about their crappy husbands! I'm well on my way to being drunk right now...which is why I googled this topic!-Jennifer

Drunkeness

The Reason Why People Get Drunk?

I can't be a judge on what is irresponsible drinking and what isn't, I have little to compare to.

My brother and his friend drink each week, one time they got a case of Mike's hard lemonade and a bottle of vodka, his friend stripped halfway down to his drawers(Underpants) and went around acting stupid, and there are kids living on the second floor of this house, my brother had to control him at least once per drinking session, and I had to walk out of my room and tell them to ease up too, but they eased only slightly(and not enough to keep them from being stupid) when I got REALLY angry at them.

And to add onto that, his partner has lived such a sheltered life that anything out of the ordinary(from her point of view) throws everything into chaos. Would the story I just mentioned count as irresponsible drinking on my brother's part?

-reply by Confused and Annoyed

i haven tried getting drunk yet even tho i sometimes drink for no reason,just feel like drinking thats all :D im not sure whats the feeling of getting drunk.and smoking, i just basicaly hates the smell=) :fart:

Edited by nstay (see edit history)

Why do people drink to excess?

It's a deep issue that strikes at the way society is set up, the differences in class and wealth levels in an area.

Especially where I live, Newcastle upon Tyne in the North East of England, there's so many night clubs and bars. Now don't get me wrong, I like the odd drink and going out socializing with my friends and all but the sheer volume of places to go and engage in what is basically socially acceptable drug taking is mind boggling.

And lets face it: Alcohol is a drug.

That goes part of the way in explaining why people do it excess. Because drugs are addictive. It's like people who eat too fast and don't chew - they want the serotonin high that you get by overloading your taste buds with a large surface area of... flavour. But it's not like you could ever ban it as that invents a whole different set of problems. Look at what happened with prohibition in America.

Another issue about where I live is that it's not as rich as the South, people generally earn less here yet work the same amount of hours. People want a release from the droning tedium of a 9-5 and instead of relaxing by say... exercising or taking part in a hobby, they drink.

Why do they favour it over some other sort of activity?

Because drinking is such an easy option and it's something that can be glossed over by the sheer factor/volumes of companies slapping brands on bottles, flavouring the damn stuff. It's so readily available and easy to do. It's an activity ingrained at the root of non-career based activity [especially] in English society. We're brought up and spoon fed the association of release with the mere act of drinking.

The effects of alcohol too make it something for everyone. It's one of the few drugs that allow you to enhance your mood in the way you'd like. If you're down and want to be happy, drinking allows you to find happiness. If you're angry and want to exacerbate the feelings of anger alcohol allows you do that too.

Some people would say, if alcoholic drinks are drunk responsibly though it's good for loosening up. Be that as it may, you're never in control with alcohol or any drug. Say what you want - you are taking a drug to enhance your state of mind. That suggests what?

You're uptight, you can't relax?

Surely there's some way of achieving what you're after without having to drink?

By the way if I seem anti-drinking here I'm not deliberately trying to - though I do find the act of people getting *BLEEP*-faced a bit stupid to be honest. I'm a stinking hypocrite at the end of the day as I haven't quit.

On the matter of quitting though. Where I live, especially in a group of lads. If someone stops drinking people aren't so much all weird about it but you can see the gears turning in their head as if they're thinking 'not drinking, some kinda puff?' and all that.

Ok, this is one of the biggest things that pisses me off. You say you did it to be cool and that's a better reason, but I say that's CRAP. I ask my friends why they drink, and they say that it's because it's easier to have fun. Well that's just SAD. I have had some really fun times without the assistance of alcohol, and if you start depending on drunkeness to have fun then you are destroying yourself physically and mentally. Drinking to get drunk is stupid no matter what your reason. It's not cool, and you don't need it to have fun. If you TRULY like the taste of an alcoholic beverage, drink it socially and that's fine. I have no problem with that. But if you are drinking something BECAUSE it's alcoholic for those stupid reasons, I think you are the dumbest person alive. I hate people that do that.