xisto Community
matto

What Is The Most Messed Up Book You Have Ever Read? Tell us what books are really messed up, but not necessarily good/bad

I myself just started reading the book "American Psycho" by Bret Easton Ellis. It's seriously the most effed up book I have ever read. I was reading during "DEAR" at my school today ("Drop everything and read".... hella retarded name) and my mouth gaped open in awe at what I was reading. I was like oh em gee, dudes!! This stuff is messed up. This guy, the "protagonist" (Though the reader kind of hates him too), is a psychotic. He is very homophobic and hateful towards almost everyone. He rapes his girlfriend. He went up to this bum and started offering him like 5 bucks, then took out a knife and sliced his retina out of one of his eyes, pulled his pants down and like demanned him, then started stabbing him repeatedly on the streets at like 1 am. I'm just like wtf.

Another book that I have read that was actually good, though very gory and messed up, was Battle Royale. All these classmates are put into a situation where they have to kill each other until only 1 person is left. Quite a good book, actually.

Without even reading your post (just the thread title), American Psycho was what I was going to say, closely followed by Glamorama, also be Bret Easton Ellis.

Body language by Rajendra Bhatt..He himselves have no idea on what he's writting..Except how to improve our body language he's described on whether to have romance at work!!

Oh wow. I would say The Giver. Its a VERY strange book about a controlled community. There is a giver and he holds all the painful memories and good memories of the past. Thats pretty much the basics. I could go into great detail, but if you want a very wierd book to read, read that one. Its also very short and easy to understand.

Well this isn't really a book, but just a short story we read in my english class. We were reading modern day fairy tales, and we got to little red riding hood. It starts out fine.. "She went to her grandmas house..." blah blah blah. Then when she sees the wolf disguised as her grandma this is what it says "She knew right away from the furry face and large teeth it had that it wasn't her grandma, so she took her automatic out from her basket and shot that wolf dead." It was a little.. scratch that... a lot different that I expected. Thats my book :)

Haha, nice topic. I don't read many weird books but I've read a couple. I remember DEAR, my school had it, too... so glad all that is over.Anyway, the most messed up book I've probably read is Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Which is quickly followed by probably a Kurt Vonnegut book. I've read a couple of them (Cat's Cradle and Slaughter House Five) those are pretty messed up, too, but so good! Kurt Vonnegut is seriously one of the best weird authors I know. And Fear and Loathing was, well, pretty funny, I'm not sure if it was supposed to be :)

I can't and won't say :) it could offend sensitive posters but it's about the readers opinion since one persons meat is another's poison.

I gotta agree with the OP.....American Psycho by Brett Easton Ellis is probably the craziest book i've read. The book knocks the movie out of the water (although i'm a big fan of the adaptation). The way he describes the thoughts and processes of that crazy Patrick Bateman is amazing. I really loved the chapters that would just go on for 3 or 4 pages about some new music that came out and he would critique all the songs....but then the next chapter would feature him butchering up some hooker or torturing animals. The descriptions are really amazing and it seems like the author is a little messed up as well.I've been dying to read the other books by this author. Another of them has been made into a movie as well and it's called The Rules of Attraction. It's a really crazy movie with some messed up storylines. I bet the book is just as good.I need to read more books and may be checking out some of the selections listed here. Thanks guys....looks good.

Most fd up book I read was Christiane F, original title is Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo Its a story of a girl that lived in germany when the wall was still up, she got hooked on heroin and she had to go whoring to pay for her addiction at the AGE 13, her boyfriend was a manwhore also and he was the one who got her into this lifestyle. I was 14 when i read the book and it narrates her early days of being a woman, first bra, first hit of acid etc. I thought WOW READING IS FUN.Sometimes when I go into a public bathroom stool I get paranoid about where I put my handbag because in the book she tells she used to get her money by stealing purses in public bathrooms.

The most messed up book I've NEVER read,which I think they should ban.is mein kempf.Purely evil.I'm sure we've all heard about it. That Christine f book?I think I've read that.It takes place in Berlin right?At first the girl is a huge fan of 1970's glam rock right?I read a book just like the one you described. The most messed up book I ever read?Helter skelter about Charles Manson.Truth really is stranger than fiction.He had all those demented followers.

I have to agree that American Psycho is one of the craziest books written. I think things like Lovecraft are more otherworldly, but this book featuring the unforgettable Patrick Bateman is quite surreal in its own regards. However, if you want a book that is simply "messed up", I recommend the House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski. This book is simply incomparable to most literature. It involves all sorts of crazy stylistic approaches and elements that require a very dedicated effort to traverse. Of course, if you want to get really fringe, there is also the Codex Seraphinianus, but that can hardly be considered "reading". You'll know what I mean when you see it (or look it up). (Same could go for the Voynich Manuscripts, but that's neither here nor there...).

I'm surprised that no one mentioned the radical depictions of society in Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. I thought it was a great book, and it basically pitches the idea of a perfected existence using a caste system, mass cloning, drugs, encouragement of sexual experiences, discouragement of ownership (to include not having the idea of a family, instead being replaced by an "everyone is everyone else's" mentality), and enjoying life... amongst all of the lower castes which are born and raised to work for the Alpha and Beta castes of the societal hierarchy. It's a pretty crazy way to see another system that actually works, and as strange and almost inhumane as it may seem to most readers, I'm sure that everyone can find some sort of subtle agreement as to how things are run in Brave New World.If Equilibrium has a book base, that would be another pretty crazy way to see society years from now. The basis here includes the eradication of all things that invoke emotion... and a drug that suppresses it to continue an efficient existence of humanity, throwing away the incentives and reasons for hate crimes, war, murder, but also throws away the idea of love, compassion, care, and all the other emotions on the other side of the spectrum. Again, there's feelings and possible agreement towards both the existing status quo and the Resistance that fights for the right to feel... which makes for a rather interesting concept for a movie.

If you're going to mention those two books, rayzoredge, I'm going to throw in my two cents and mention Fahrenheit 451 as well (which is what Equilibrium is based on to a large extent). That books is another creation that features a largely dystopian (or is that un-utopian?) world where reading of all sorts has been banned. The main character, a firestarter as he is known, is charged with the responsibility of burning books as his profession. Eventually, he comes to recognize his ways once a friendly neighborhood female girl wakes him up to the joys of life through conversation and such, but that's getting far into the plot and I wouldn't want to ruin it for anybody...

Anyways, it's worth a mention and is definitely another book that is well-worth reading. Not a very large one, so anybody can appreciate it really. I'm not certain, but I think it may just be required reading in some schools, but I don't know. I read it on my own, and I enjoyed it.