xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
dreus

Flesh Glue Alternative to stitches

Deep gash. Lots of blood. How can we close the wound? Of course we can resort to old-school stitches. But why not an alternative where the needle and surgical thread are bypassed?I remember hearing about something like this a while back... I could be way off, but I think they were trying it on patients who had undergone a c-section. Anyone know anything about this?I think that it would be amazing if this product were further developped and commercialized. It would quickly become another household item like band-aids. Deep cuts could be cleaned and patched at home - therefore, fewer visits to the doctor or the ER. Heck, if it were versatile enough, even scrapes and papercuts can be healed almost instantaneously.To push even further, how about re-attaching severed limbs? Maybe the glue can be formulated so seek out an re-attach nerve endings... of course that's just letting my imagination run wild.Comment away.

It did exist, it was marvelous but they had to stop producing it for some reason. I remember seeing it because my uncle works at a farmaceutical industry here in Mexico. I am going to ask him what happened to it as soon as I see him. I remember it could close small wounds, it would not be logical for it to be able to stick a limb back together. Maybe it was just more expensive and less efective than stitches. Actually stitches are not bad, they close the wound better, and look cool. And they dont hurt because by the time they are sewing you up you have all these medecines to kill the pain.

Heh, I hadn?t imagined that super glue?s function extends to holding tissue together post surgery. I guess I?ve always held the stigma that super glue + flesh is a formula to be avoided, especially after reading the ?caution? message that comes on the packaging.Thanks for the enlightening tidbit from Wikipedia.

yeah I heard about it, i think it surface around early 2000-2002 somewhere around that time. it was said it would help keep the scaring down, but I havn't heard much after that though.

If I remember correctly, this type of glue was used quite a bit for infants undergoing operations. From what I understand the benefits were reduced scarring the ease of use, sutures required for infants are difficult due to the small size.

DERMABOND adhesive is a medical glue for the skin that doctors can use in place of stitches or staples to close wounds and incisions. It is spread on top of the wound while your doctor holds the skin edges together. Only your doctor can apply DERMABOND adhesive. It dries to form a strong, flexible bond and protective covering for the cut. DERMABOND adhesive does not require a bandage, and you can get it wet in the course of normal activities. Showering or bathing is fine, although soaking is not advisable. How it works After your wound has been cleaned, your doctor will apply DERMABOND adhesive in thin layers (a minimum of two for High Viscosity DERMABOND adhesive) with a light brushing stroke, while holding the edges of the wound together. As DERMABOND adhesive is applied, it forms a strong, flexible bond in just 45-60 seconds, and reaches full strength in approximately 2? minutes after the final layer is applied.As your wound heals, DERMABOND adhesive wears off the skin, with complete skin healing usually occurring in 5-10 days. While a return visit to your doctor is not necessary for stitch removal, your doctor still may want to see you to check your healing progress............................................................................................................................When can DERMABOND adhesive be used? * If your wound is in an area where your skin is not stretched or pulled, it can be treated with DERMABOND adhesive * It is generally not used in areas with hair or in the mouth * It should be used with caution around the eyes * Your wound should have even and straight edges - not jagged or torn

wow this sounds really interesting. i've never heard of it.i guess its only good for cuts which dont have tension onf them, as in they're not being pulled and are very relzexed. like ur back or something. i wonder why i've never even heard of it... and i wonder even more whysomething like this is not being used anymore. it might've had side-effects of somesort but who know... any more information of it would be cool.

Thanks for the feedback so far. It looks great! Whipping up good 'ol Google to investigate DERMABOND a little further, I spent some time at their website. It would appear that tissue adhesives have extended beyond the realm of general surgery and also find applications in cardiovascular surgery, neurosurgery, cosmetic surgery... Despite its limitations, the fact that DERMABOND can promote faster recovery times, avoid the hassle of having to remove stitches, do not require further dressings/bandages, etc. all point to tissue adhesives as being a promising alternative and an area for further inquiry. 

"Use of tissue adhesives in the management of paediatric lacerations"

In regards to the post about tape, I figured it would be worth mentioning that 'skin closure tapes' such as "Steristrips" are gaining popularity. It is less invasive then the use of stitches but its limitations include less precision in brining the wound edges together as well as not being able to use them on hairy skin, or skin areas with secretions. From personal experience, I can say that using Steristrips in conjunction with stitches provide some remarkable results. Following an accident (I'll just skip the gory details), I was sure that I'd have a massive scar and a heck of a story to tell. But after I got patched up and the tenderness subsided, the scar is barely visible. Nonetheless, duct tape is very useful, especially in the case of this fellow: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/989992/posts

I guess Red Green (fictional handyman in a Canadian sitcom) did have it right when he proclaimed that duct tape fixes everything :)

Edited by OpaQue (see edit history)

there was a scene in Aeon Flux with something like this where the main dude gets shot and she patches him up with these skin patch thingies. kind of cool, but looks painful and just...iono i dont see a feasible way this would work. you'd have 2 bits of DNA in you...and your body would be like, what the hell how should i grow, what kind of proteins should i make?

tammy wFlesh Glue

My daughter got a scar on her face. She picked off a scab on her face and the resulting scar was bright red. I gave it some time, but the redness did not fade readily. I understand scars can fade over time, especially on kids; but since it was on her face, I did not want to take any chances. That it only might work was good enough for me.I've used the Dr. Max Powers Scar Serum regularly on her face for about a month and it is definitely faded, not so noticeable anymore.I also have a deep scar that is 35 years old right smack on the bridge of my nose. It's not fading any more than it has. I decided to try it on that and also a recent burn scar on my arm. The scar on my arm is looking better. It's still there but smooth and fading. The one on the bridge of my nose is deep. I think it looks better but it will be many months before I think I'll truly know. I'll be back to update at that time.For now, I think it does seem to help and really doesn't hurt new scar formation. I definitely recommend the Dr Max Powers Scar Serum if you have a scar on your face and are looking to fade it.

-reply by tammy w

Oh My God! I love my duct tape, but for closing wounds??????? Sure, it would go on good, and close it up, probably stop the bleeding too, but can you even imagine taking it back off? It would just pull everything right back apart again!I'll just stick with super glue.

Maybe stem cells would do the trick. Stem cells have the ability to transform their body into another kind of cell.Example: Stem cells could reform and become muscle/ skin cells. In this case, damaged muscle/skin could be restored.