xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
BooZker

The Possibility Of Gay Rights Should it be allowed?

Gay rights has been a controversial topic for a long time. In this discussion i would like you to please NOT include religion. The reason is in America the choices are not supposed to be based on religion. So with that in mind read on.

For me i don't understand why this is even a controversial topic. I can understand people who are against it for religious reasons, but why else. If nothing else then it should be allowed right? No, i guess not. Why is it such a big deal. George Bush even wants to make it an amendment against it.

The reasons why most laws are made are for safety and so the country does not go into chaos. Being gay, homosexual, does not hurt anyone. In fact it is hard to be a gay male/female. Not many people agree with it and they could lose the friends. So why is this illegal. I think they should be able to get married. They are life partners now anyway. Would it make that much of a difference? I guess they would get tax cuts and a piece of paper showing they are married, but not really anything else. To be staight up i think its none of anyones business.

What do you guys think?

I think gay rights should indeed be illegal. Why? My reasons are scientific. The government is baisically protecting our species in a way by making gay rights illegal. The purpose of a species to exist is so it can survive and reproduce (Biology AP). If people were allowed to be gay, how can this goal be achieved? If more and more people became gay then eventually our species would not be able to thrive as well as we do today.

This is my scientific opinion for argueing against gay rights.

I think gay rights should indeed be illegal. Why? My reasons are scientific. The government is baisically protecting our species in a way by making gay rights illegal. The purpose of a species to exist is so it can survive and reproduce (Biology AP). If people were allowed to be gay, how can this goal be achieved? If more and more people became gay then eventually our species would not be able to thrive as well as we do today.

OH i see and so you don think people should have sex before marriage, use condoms, morning after pills or anything sexual unless its sexual intercourse.

DUH!

Even IF they made gay rights illegal, it wont stop homosexuals from being born. We will STILL be born, and chances are we will STILL not sleep with people of the opposite sex. But seriously, the reason why the government doesnt want legal gay rights, isnt because of reproduction, its because we disgust them. Because if it were the case , people who had to have their reproductive organs removed wouldnt get rights, people who were born incapable of having children, wouldnt have rights, and people who just simply never had the chance to reproduce wouldn't have rights. Besides all this, we can still donate our sperm, and lesbians can donate their eggs to help reproduction. If it becomes illigal for any kind of homosexual act, we will probably do it anyway, or we will not be with anyone, so the theory of it being banned because of reproduction is stupid, because you wont get kids out of us anyway. We arent gay, because its being 'allowed', were gay because we just are.
Edited by JasperIk (see edit history)

Even IF they made gay rights illegal, it wont stop homosexuals from being born. We will STILL be born, and chances are we will STILL not sleep with people of the opposite sex. But seriously, the reason why the government doesnt want legal gay rights, isnt because of reproduction, its because we disgust them. Because if it were the case , people who had to have their reproductive organs removed wouldnt get rights, people who were born incapable of having children, wouldnt have rights, and people who just simply never had the chance to reproduce wouldn't have rights. Besides all this, we can still donate our sperm, and lesbians can donate their eggs to help reproduction. If it becomes illigal for any kind of homosexual act, we will probably do it anyway, or we will not be with anyone, so the theory of it being banned because of reproduction is stupid, because you wont get kids out of us anyway. We arent gay, because its being 'allowed', were gay because we just are.

About sleeping with the opposite sex... What you said should make a lot of sence to people who don't like gays. Think of it like a straight person sleeping with the same sex. That woulod be weird right, weel thats how it is to homosexuals.

Also, it will always disgust people who are not comfortable with themselves. They do this to put the blame of something on someone else, or to get attention away form the. Well this isnt always they case for EVERYONE, but it is true in some cases. When i see people who dont "like" gay people they are usualy people who arnt comfortable with themselves.

And people have been donating sperm for so long, but i guess to this genius who took Biology AP dosnt know this. Remember that a hmosexuals sperm is the SAME as every other guys.

Also, it will always disgust people who are not comfortable with themselves. They do this to put the blame of something on someone else, or to get attention away form the. Well this isnt always they case for EVERYONE, but it is true in some cases. When i see people who dont "like" gay people they are usualy people who arnt comfortable with themselves.

I completely agree. There was a study done (if anyone is interested i can dig up by who, but i dont remember at the moment) showing that "strait" homophobic people were more likely to be gay than their non-homophobic counterparts. Though I belive the research pool was entirely male...so it's not indicative for women.

People just get trapped in this mindset that homosexuality is a huge taboo (some religions deffinatly exacerbates this)--so much so that they're willing to force themselves to live lives they don't enjoy.

I think gay rights should indeed be illegal. Why? My reasons are scientific.

You have provided us with a theory, but didn't bother to include any sort of supporting evidence. Please go more in depth...doubly so if you're going to put forth a "scientific opinion."

Perhaps too, changing definitions of marriage and giving rights could open up other possibilites than just homosexual rights - But you know the world does adapt to new ideas eventually. Though there are things certain things that we better not adapt too (not talking about homosexual relationships and their rights)

I was thinking about this last night when i was watching Jay Leno because there was a joke about George Bush that was like,"It's getting so hot in LA the gay community wants to stand next to George Bush to get a cold shoulder" or something close to that and i was thinking,"This is going to be in every history book in a few years. Kids in school will read about it like we do when they say "What black and white kids wernt even allowed to play with each other" Instead of that they will say,"what! certain people were not allowed to marry just because of who they like?" I think it is very sad we are teaching our youth to NOT be open minded and to follow all the rules that have been around before. Should we not let women vote anymore either because in the bible somewhere it says the man is the leader. Should we never have a women president just because she is a women. Should we not ever have a black race car driver? I know the last one sounds stupid, but its true. We dont litteraly ban people from parts of society, but we do it in other ways like the president does with gay people. And so my point... I think if we do not change it now it will be changed some day. And when that day comes and your old and your kids ask things that kids ask grandparents today about women and black rights, are you going to be ashamed you werent open minded in the beginning. Remember that womens rights were a big deal and many men thought it was just stupid for women to vote. Not many people think like that now though.

I was thinking about this last night when i was watching Jay Leno because there was a joke about George Bush that was like,"It's getting so hot in LA the gay community wants to stand next to George Bush to get a cold shoulder" or something close to that and i was thinking,"This is going to be in every history book in a few years. Kids in school will read about it like we do when they say "What black and white kids wernt even allowed to play with each other" Instead of that they will say,"what! certain people were not allowed to marry just because of who they like?" I think it is very sad we are teaching our youth to NOT be open minded and to follow all the rules that have been around before. Should we not let women vote anymore either because in the bible somewhere it says the man is the leader. Should we never have a women president just because she is a women. Should we not ever have a black race car driver? I know the last one sounds stupid, but its true. We dont litteraly ban people from parts of society, but we do it in other ways like the president does with gay people.
And so my point... I think if we do not change it now it will be changed some day. And when that day comes and your old and your kids ask things that kids ask grandparents today about women and black rights, are you going to be ashamed you werent open minded in the beginning.

Remember that womens rights were a big deal and many men thought it was just stupid for women to vote. Not many people think like that now though.

History repeats itsself. There is always one big issue every 50 years that is just like before, only new people , new problem. Maybe in what 10 years gay marriage will be legal, and then it will be marked in the history books just like womens rights, black rights, religious rights etc... but then a new problem with come. Now is gay rights, in 20 years it could be rights of transexuals or something i dont know...but everyone has issues, and everyone wants their voice to be heard, it just takes a lot of time.

A substantial minority of wild animals are homosexual (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/). And I suppose that since animals don't have free will or souls, God wanted them to fornicate with their own sex...::rolls his eyes::

I think the entire discussion over gay marriage is flawed. Religious marriage is not comparable to legal marriage. States should issue couples civil union licenses, and whether they're married should be between them and their religious leader. That way you're free to say that homosexuals aren't allowed to marry under your religion, but I'm fine to say that they are under mine.

Agreed. It is simply the blindness of mankind today that causes this sort of discrimination. It's terrible. We, the "most intelligent" creatures on the planet, hate that which is different, and why? Because we can't control People like Bush are angered by the fact that they can't stop people from being gay, so in turn they bring it upon themselves to hate. Pethetic creatures, we humans are....

To fully destroy any more gay people from being born, would mean you have to destroy all straight people first. Or atleast make them so they can't breed. If people put us gays on an island that was secluded from the rest of the world, and all things homosexual were destored, and people continued to have children, they would see gays would still be born. homosexuality isn't new, we just never had a voice untill now. Bisexuals in my opinion are a result of people looking up to those who like the same gender, and a result of those not wanting to fully admit they are gay. The reason ammount of bisexuals in the world is a result of just that , and most bisexuals under 25 don't really exist...atleast they hardly do. So it is new, homosexuality is not.

Edited by JasperIk (see edit history)

Here in the netherlands gay rights have been respected for ages already, and it doesn't do any harm to anyone. So I think he American governement shouldn't be toooo harsh about this.

I was on a message board and i posted a thread titled "I like that, but i dont like this" it was about how you can like one thing but dislike something else that is like it, or has to do with it. Example: I like ketchup, but not tomatos.

But then one girl posted this:

"*no offense* I don't support homosexuality....but a handfull of my friends are gay and I love them to death. "

What exactly does that mean? How can you not support something, but then have a bunch of friends who are that, and say you love them? If you really loved them, you'd support them right? I don't want to be friends with someone who doesn't support what I am, and by support what does that mean? Does she mean she doesn't support the fact that we are gay? Or does she not support us getting married, and/or having a family with the same sex partner? I Just dont get what that even means, you know? I wish someone would help me understand it, becaus I honestly don't.

How can you not support something, but then have a bunch of friends who are that, and say you love them?

HAHAHA that exactly what i was thinking when i read the message you replied to. How can you say they are even your friends? I have friends that dont support gay marriage, but i dont support them on it. What do you say when they bring their boyfriend or girlfriend along. Oh hey guys im your friend and all, but i wish you werent and remember i dont support you.

I think 42ndEndOfTheWorld just said it all....

10 reasons Gay Marriage is wrong:
1. Being gay is not natural. And as you know Americans have always rejected unnatural things like eyeglasses, polyester, and air conditioning.

2. Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall.

3. Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because, as you know, a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage contract.

4. Straight marriage has been around a long time and hasn't changed at all; women are still property, blacks still can't marry whites, and divorce is still illegal.

5. Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriage were allowed. The sanctity of Britany Spears' 55-hour just-for-fun marriage would be destroyed.

6. Straight marriages are valid because they produce children. Gay couples, infertile couples, and old people shouldn't be allowed to marry because our orphanages aren't full yet, and the world needs more children.

7. Obviously gay parents will raise gay children, since straight parents only raise straight children.

8. Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are imposed on the entire country. That's why we have only one religion in America.

9. Children can never succeed without a male and a female role model at home. That's why we as a society expressly forbid single parents to raise children.

10. Gay marriage will change the foundation of society; we could never adapt to new social norms. Just like we haven't adapted to cars, the service-sector economy, or longer life spans.

Gay rights has been a controversial topic for a long time. In this discussion i would like you to please NOT include religion. The reason is in America the choices are not supposed to be based on religion. So with that in mind read on.
For me i don't understand why this is even a controversial topic. I can understand people who are against it for religious reasons, but why else. If nothing else then it should be allowed right? No, i guess not. Why is it such a big deal. George Bush even wants to make it an amendment against it.

The reasons why most laws are made are for safety and so the country does not go into chaos. Being gay, homosexual, does not hurt anyone. In fact it is hard to be a gay male/female. Not many people agree with it and they could lose the friends. So why is this illegal. I think they should be able to get married. They are life partners now anyway. Would it make that much of a difference? I guess they would get tax cuts and a piece of paper showing they are married, but not really anything else. To be staight up i think its none of anyones business.

What do you guys think?

First of all, I do not see the point in excluding religious beliefs, and here's why:

Everyone is 'religious' in the sense of having strongly held beliefs about whether (or not) God exists, what eternity holds, what's of ultimate eternal value, etc. What makes one person's belief that God exists any less valid than the belief of someone who believes He doesn't exist?

In fact, the reason so many people appeal to the idea of a Creator or deity is because otherwise absolute morality can't really exist at all. You see, there's nothing making any one of our opinions more important than anyone else's, unless it is the absolute contradiction of logic which disqualifies one person's view (obviously saying God is both good and evil or light and darkness is logically wrong, since both views are mutually exclusive, and mutually exclusive contradictory views can not be equally true). And we can not even make ourselves an inch taller by our own efforts, let alone be the instituters of an ultimate moral law. Furthermore, we do not have the authority or righteousness to set it over our fellow human beings since we are all the same and all do wrong things.

Therefore, for an absolute moral code to exist to the universe, it must have been set in place by a deity. This is why when speaking of morality, people so often reference a deity, because they recognize their knowledge, power, righteousness, and authority is lacking in what is needed to know or create a universal moral code, and that the only way they can truly be right about morality is if God Himself set a universal moral code to the universe and some way or another, transmitted that knowledge to them in a sure way.

Furthermore, if you read the statements of Lincoln, Washington, and Adams, they all firmly believed in God and the Bible, and that belief definitely influenced how they governed as well. In fact, if religious belief does NOT penetrate to our political views, daily actions, and in short, all aspects of our life, we have a word for that - 'HYPOCRITE'. Therefore, you are asking people to be hypocrites and act apart from their most strongly held beliefs, which, I will not do.

With all that said, I will now address the issue... from a Christian's perspective, because that is what I am. You can not separate me from my beliefs and faith, or I would not be who I am.

I once believed I should leave the issue of gay marriage alone. It seemed as if homosexuals were being unfairly targeted. After all, the Bible says adultery, divorce, and premarital sex are all sexual sins as well, and are grouped together with homosexuality as the sin of fornication, or sexual sin outside God's plan of marriage between one man and one woman. And yet, people often ignore those sins but focus on homosexuality.

However, what a friend pointed out to me is that gay marriage gets focused on because it is not us who started focusing on homosexuals, trying to take away their freedoms. Rather, it is them who are trying to change laws that have stood for centuries. They already have the right to live however they wish in the freedom of their own homes.

Rather, they are trying to force us as a nation to change what we consider right and moral in the context of marriage. Have you ever heard the phrase, "your right to throw a punch stops where the other person's nose begins"? I do not like the homosexual lifestyle, but I recognize God has given them free will as to us all, and we all mess up. I can not condemn their lifestyle without being guilty, since I myself am sinful. As Jesus told the Pharisees wanting to stone the adulteress, one can not justly cast the first stone (i.e. punish a person for moral wrongdoing) without being sinless themselves.

Rather, I oppose gay marriage because I believe in protecting morality in our country. We are changing too much of what we consider moral, and thus our country will suffer. I believe in protecting the definition of marriage in our country based on what is moral, just as I believe in standards of decency in our public media. Our children are exposed to it, and when something is publicly available, it is everyone's business.

I would not dream of silencing a homosexual's voice to speak out about what they believe. God gave them free will, even as He gave it to me. However, I expect the right to speak out about my beliefs on what is right and moral, and to vote accordingly, even as homosexuals are doing. I expect to have the same rights they do, in that context.

I oppose gay marriage because homosexuals already have the right to live however they choose. The right they seek is to FORCE US AS A NATION TO RECOGNIZE THEIR UNIONS AS MORAL AND ACCEPTABLE, AS WELL AS FORCING US TO CHANGE OUR VIEWS ON WHAT MARRIAGE IS. For those of us who believe such a definition of marriage is not a moral one, we will naturally stand up against it.

With that said, I also would like to see the law allowing divorce annulled so that divorce is only allowed in clear cases of adultery. I do not believe in legislating crimes against premarital sex or adultery, since those are lifestyle choices involving free will. You see, I am trying not to intrude on the free will of others while upholding standards of decency for our country. I believe both can be done.