xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
spawn_syxx9

Prayer Sucks! what the heck do you people do it for?

Now this is not a religious bash or anything like that. I have been brought up Methodist but I have created my own views on life. My own religion if you will. I believe in myself. I don't turn to any god or goddess when my life goes down or is bad.

My question is why do so many people turn to prayer when they are trying to make their lives better? Do you need that extra boost be believing that something really is listening to you and wanting to make your life better?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Man I pray because sometimes I dont know what else to do. Sometimes things will get so bad I resort to prayers. Praying can help you by knowing you have a friend or something always there to guide or help you. Praying does give me that extra boost and makes me feel confident.

Man I pray because sometimes I dont know what else to do. Sometimes things will get so bad I resort to prayers. Praying can help you by knowing you have a friend or something always there to guide or help you. Praying does give me that extra boost and makes me feel confident.

32917[/snapback]

In the Bible God tells us that once we are saved and thus His children He hears all our petitions, and that where two are three are gathered together in the name of Jesus, He is there in the midst of them. Great encouragement to have.

It is often said that prayer is the Christian's greatest weapon since it brings us into contact with God. It is useful for walking closer to Him and teaching us to lean more and more on Him, to praise Him and worship Him, to present requests (and if they are according to His will He may answer them, and I myself see prayers answered), to pray for others, and to thank Him for food which is the way it is sanctified no matter what it is.

Prayer for a non-Christian I agree is pointless except for getting in a right relationship with God through Jesus Christ so that you do become a Christian. Otherwise we are enemies of God and not His children. And you don't become a Christian just by accepting some set of doctrines or calling yourself a Christian as some seem to think, and it's not by doing good things either. As Ravi Zecharias says, saying you're a Christian doesn't make you one any more then going in a garage makes you a car.

Here's the way, the key:

Romans 10:8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;

9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Praying does give me that extra boost and makes me feel confident.

Same here. Prayer doesn't suck, actually it's been very helpful. I have been brought up as a Christian and so prayer is "natural". I never believed it would work until I tried it years ago and when I did, it helped me overcome some major problems for me at the time.

I don't know how it does this, maybe it's just knowing that someone's there to guide you through or maybe God sees your situation and changes the course of time and if you don't believe in God what do you believe in?

I am a Catholic and I do believe strongly in God. I guess the reason I pray is because the same reason you don't. I belive that there is a God and he will help me if I pray to him and ask for help and guidance. You don't believe a God exists so from your point of view, prayer must look pretty wierd. I have always known that there is a greater diety that controls the ways of the universe. This is just what I believe. I can not fully explain it because I really don't know why either. It just is.

My question is why do so many people turn to prayer when they are trying to make their lives better? Do you need that extra boost be believing that something really is listening to you and wanting to make your life better?

25598[/snapback]

There might be some people who prays only when they are going through tough time but you will also find a lot of people who pray in good and bad time both. Would like to mention here that I am not talking about prayers for a particular religion, i am talking about prayer in general for eavery religion.

Our Creator commands us to guard our prayers and to pray with devotion. He also requires us to pray at all conditions whether we are traveling or not, or while we are in fear or in safe.

There are lots of benefits of prayers, It constitutes the physical, mental, and spiritual submission to God.

When we focus our mind and heart to God alone, we develop concentration which the mind needs to function more intelligently.

In addition, when we pray to God, we develop obedience, patience, trust, honesty, piety, fear, humbleness, modesty, truthfulness, love, devotion and all other virtues acceptable to God. In other words, by performing Prayer, we develop righteousness and prevent all sorts of immoral and indecent practices or evil deeds. :D

When you grow up in an evironment where people believes (or so they say) in God and tell him their problems, etc. it?s very easy to think that there?s someone there.I?m not christian, I?m not of any religion but sometimes when things go really wrong I can?t help talking mentally to God. Of course I realize at the next moment that I?m being stupid but don?t know it?s like... a convention or something. But I have to admit that I don?t give unconscious thanks to God when things go well, whic leads me to think that most people only believe in God and pray him in order to get something.So... faith or interest?

since you are a christian that believes in God it would seem you wouldn't say prayer sucks. prayer basically is a conversation with the Lord, yes he's there in everything you do but maybe sometimes people need to really feel like its just them and they let out feelings, what they would like to happen what they didnt want to happen and anything else just like he was a regular person...maybe it is a boost to feel that there's a something listening to you and wont interrupt you mid-sentence :D

They say that "in the foxholes, there are no atheists." I think it is human nature to believe in something bigger and more powerful than self. It probably gets down to that core question, "what am I here for?" and "if I die today, where will I go?"Aside from the internal mind/spirit thing, however, is a truth that regardless of our intelligence, we humans still don't have the mystery of life figured out. And there are so many unexplained things that happen in the world that are completely out of the realm of our understanding. Prayer helps people connect with that being who they believe understands the unexplainable.

Not forgetting that God, given that He exists as I believe He does, is not visible and will not necessarilly bring down lightning whenever u talk to Him. God chooses not to poke His head out of the sky whenever someone in in trouble or needs to pray because He wants people to some to Him in faith, rather than like a robot obeying the big face in the clouds because they have no choice. Prayer is a direct conversation with God and, while not vital to being a Christian, certainly hinders your faith if you don't pray. It means that you can't get directions from the guy who's got the big map. Of course you can poke holes in prayer because from the outside it just looks like people are talking to thin air but it is really worthwhile.

Well prayers are somewhat good, but I see a lot of people praying only in bad times, but not when all goes well. I do believe and when I pray at night I feel part of God and I know there are "Angels" around me when I do. Also there is a difference in how you pray I think, most people ask for help or something else but when it doesn't come they get mad or dissapointed, I learned to thank God before things are given or asked and show faith and I never got turned down. Prayers aren't useless and they don't suck, they strenghten people and makes them happy. My 2 cents :D

I'm not Christian nor am I religious in any way. But you should understand, people pray just to belive that there is hope. Like when something goes wrong, they just need to let it out and tell someone such as the lord and just tell someone what you wish would happen. And the thing is, since the lord isn't "real" then you don't feel ashamed of yourself. You also pray for someone to show that you care for them and you don't want anything to go wrong, not to kill away the bad luck, just to show you careI don't pray much but this is how I figure it works

Why do you take medication when you are sick?Why do you want to stay with your mother when you are 1 month old?Why do you require a surgery when you have a serious injury?Why do you ask your parents to buy you something when you are a child?Answer the questions above (to the author)? :D:D Why wouldn't you pray to God to help you/forgive you when you are in trouble or when you have done something wrong?Why wouldn't you just pray to God so that you live a happy life and enjoy the life in heavens?God does not need some person to be praying 24/7. God has no needs!We, the humans, have to pray, because we are the ones in need! We are the ones who should lower ourselves and pray to God. I would like the author of this post to respond to the questions posed above.

I'm not Christian nor am I religious in any way. But you should understand, people pray just to belive that there is hope. Like when something goes wrong, they just need to let it out and tell someone such as the lord and just tell someone what you wish would happen. And the thing is, since the lord isn't "real" then you don't feel ashamed of yourself. You also pray for someone to show that you care for them and you don't want anything to go wrong, not to kill away the bad luck, just to show you care

I don't pray much but this is how I figure it works

169478[/snapback]

On the contrary, genuine sincere Christians that have really been saved (and they are out there, even if you don't meet them too often) pray because they already have faith and hope. It's simply God's chosen way for sinful man to communicate with Him, and as Christians for us to present our petitions to Him, worship Him, etc... The Lord is utterly real. Someone once said something like you can't prove God exists, you can't prove God doesn't exist, and we all know He does exist. God has given us evidence of a master design in creation. It's amazing that scientists can see the design and not think there's a designer. God has also left us evidence in our consciences, and even the people most resistant to the idea that God exists generally accept that they can't explain why we have this desire for justice, for good and evil, and to know God. God has planted things in us that might well convince us all by themselves if we'd look at them. I tend to think most atheists are people who have never really bothered thinking about the great matters of life nor have truly examined themselves and who they are before either. Prayer doesn't have to be for others, it can be for relationship quite often, to get us in touch with the One to whom we owe all, the greatest relationship we can have on planet Earth.

Hope that helps,

jz

firstly i'd just like to say that it's absolutely awesome to see how many Christians there are out there! go team!

It probably gets down to that core question, "what am I here for?" and "if I die today, where will I go?"

163666[/snapback]

Phillip Yancey says in his book "Rumours of Another World" that the only catch to being human is that we have to worship something. When you take God out of the equation, other insuperior things come in instead like sex (actually that's probably the most common one these days) and money. You end up with a sick, twisted world.

Also someone before (can't remember who, sorry) said that there is no scientific evidence to prove that there is a God. by the same token, it can't prove that there isn't a God, either.

If there was proof, the whole thing about faith would become completely irrelevant. You're never going to find concrete evidence if you're not looking for it.

as for the evidence that convicts me (actually just the most easily explanable part)... get off your computer. go outside and take a look at nature. I reckon that the world we live in is AMAZING (understatement) and then you consider the fact that we are able to appreciate it as well. I personally couldn't call that random chance.

Even the intricasies of sex and the reproductive system. I can't see that all that evolved from one creature, the differences that fit together so perfectly.

and then you realise that we are having an incredibly intelligent conversation about God... if we weren't created, i don't think that we would be able to dream up something as complex as Christianity or even think to the level at which we can.

sure, there's no scientific evidence, but when the evidence is all around us in everything we see, everytime we breathe, scientifc evidence isn't needed.

Peace out

yeah, actually its kind of ironic how that happens. i think that forcing people to pray doesn't really help anything (even though i am a christian and i think prayer is great).

i agree, praying when you don't feel it it's useless, because you are throwing away your own saliva, i think people that prays when they're in trouble is because they need "extra-moral support" =)