xisto Community
nustadventist

Is Christianity Just Another Religion Or Its Superior

but use their findings to prove that parthenogenesis can't occur naturally in mammals.

Good thing the Bible states that it happened supernaturally. :angry:

Just the idea of saying a religion is better than another is so ignorant that it's not even funny.
I am a christian but i definetely don't think my religion is better than anyone else's. If Joe Smith worships a chair or Jane Smith worships an elephant that's their problem.

Religion is something you do for yourself, its personal. You don't worship something or someone to be better than someone else.

I have lots of friends that are atheists and i don't judge them for it. I also knew one person that was a satanis, and that was also his choice. I don't think that makes me or my religion any better than his.

I agree totally. But I think religion can always be pushed further.

As with Religion's primary ( mostly unstated) purpose. It exists to explain the unexplainable, from where we came from to where we go, to why it rains. Atheists may not believe in an actual god, but they still have an element of spirtuality in them. Instead of it being a person or thing, they utilize science. Science to them explains where we came from, where we will go, and why it rains.

Another purpose of religion is to dictate how people live their lives. People with religions use things suchs as 'commandment's', 'pilars', 'stories', etc. With atheists, they use laws, compassion and general observation to determine how to live their lives and how they react socially.

So in essence, its not wether you belive in god ( or gods or etc) its about being spirtual, which everyone in some reguards is.

You cannot say that Christianity is "more superior" it is the same. It may have more backing in Western society but it is still in essence a "God of the Gaps" religion. It explains the unexplainable, gets proved wrong, explains another anomaly. Religions do have the right to tell you how to live your life. It your choice whether you believe the religion or not.

Well I can just say that christianity at it's base is really the same as Islam or other religions. But you cannot forget those problems that christianity has faced over the years. The problem is that people don't read Bible, don't go to church, don't respect Ten Commandments, don't live in Marriage, etc., but they say that they belive in Jesus. Jesus said that we should christianize people and make charity all over the world, but people don't listen to words of wisdom anymore.

heres my view... religion is a set thing that some people follow others dont... NO ONE CAN BE FORCED TO follow a religion however people can try and prusuad others... i happen to not follow any religions most i just dont care for trying to devote myself to one superior being (god) i like being the top in my life well i guess im not but w/e... Religions to me are just there i dont care if you follow one... none are superior to others they are the same...just people making something up to explain the stuff science cant... such as where did we come from o well i say god created us ok so where did god come from ...see my point its a never ending cycle because something just cant apear... anyways... yeah theres my 2 cents

heres my view... religion is a set thing that some people follow others dont... NO ONE CAN BE FORCED TO follow a religion however people can try and prusuad others...

you can't be forced directly, but from child you are grown in some culture and culture is always in some ways connected to religion. also ateism is form of religion you could say (from which marxism or communism based upon).

Okay i just want to clear up a few wrong things.

T100: Christians are probably the only people who believe that a virgin can give birth to a baby

Actually Muslims believe that too.

Blacklaser: because essentially that is what religion is: brainwashing of the masses.

oh :lol: so i supose all the charity and love and forgiveness given out from religions should be stopped?

semeticsister: many people either had christianity forced upon them by a higher authority or converted so they could avoid persecution.

Only the masters. The slaves all wanted to convert. The masters did not want to. Although anyone can say this is because the religion says all are equal.

harad: Well I can just say that christianity at it's base is really the same as Islam or other religions. But you cannot forget those problems that christianity has faced over the years. The problem is that people don't read Bible, don't go to church, don't respect Ten Commandments, don't live in Marriage, etc., but they say that they belive in Jesus. Jesus said that we should christianize people and make charity all over the world, but people don't listen to words of wisdom anymore.

I would not agree with Islam being the same as Christianity. People from the Middle East and people who live in the Middle East are often more religious by alot then the western people. They do read the Qur'an and so on.
I think that religion is a truth not a choice. But I do not agree with that fact that people are forced into choosing one religion. My research shows me that Hinduism, Judisiam, Christianity, and Islam are all sides of the same religion. Yes even hinduism. It is quite old and has changed (alot) over time.
But on athiesm, i would not agree with harad. Atheism is more, "i will never believe in God because i do not want to!". Athiests do not want to believe in God. They do not want to dedicate their lives to someone else. I asked this one athiest about religion and they said: "it's rude to try and change my opinion" which is completely stupid because your opinion can be wrong.

In my humble opinion, Christianity is nothing different then all other believes, I respect the people believing in thigns, but I think there isn't any god. Christianity isn't superior to any other believe in my opinion.

Hi there!I want to be clear first that I am a christian. However I have a very differant take on what religion is about. To me religion is a belief system. What you choose to believe and live for is based on what both works for you and how your were brought up. Yes I was brought up christian but I lived in a very disfunctional family. Most people do live in a disfuntional family but there are differant degrees. Needless to say there was alot of do as I say not what I do. Its hard to grow up in that sort of environment. I really struggled when I got out of it trying to find my way. I had to finally realize that religion is personal journey to find what works and gives you peace. Yes Christianity is more prevailant and there seems to be more people who lay a claim of the religion. What most people don't realize is that there is more than one christianity. There are few religions that claim that they are the true and only christianity and all others are blastemy. As far as I am concerned no christianity is not the only or superior religion. It is just one that I happen to choose to believe because in my own experience it has kept me alive and semi sane. I see nothing wrong with believing other things. Many of my friends are in other religions. I don't judge them and they don't judge me. As far as any religion goes none are superior. None is the only one we all should be in. Its up to the individual and no one should be coherced or forced to believe anything. That is just my opinion though.

Edited by unicornrose (see edit history)

I asked this one athiest about religion and they said: "it's rude to try and change my opinion" which is completely stupid because your opinion can be wrong.

It's stupid to flat out refuse to listen to or accept other points of view but whether a person decides to take up a particular point of view is up to them, regardless of whether it's good for them or not. It may not be rude to try and change someone's opinion, but it is rude to try and continue when the person makes it clear they're not interested in accepting the other view.

I would not agree with Islam being the same as Christianity. People from the Middle East and people who live in

at it's base it's almost the same:

don't kill

don't stole

believe in god

etc. etc.

the Middle East are often more religious by alot then the western people. They do read the Qur'an and so on.

Yes, and they have a completly different culture. Also they have time to read holy texts, where people on the west don't have much free time. Also they should stop reading so much Qur'an (vide World Trade Center catastrophe).

the problem with the world is that pretty much every religion thinks they are the "true" religion. This is shown from the original poster thinking that christianity could be the superior religion.In fact, many religions are ALL Abrahamic religions. The only problem is that they all believe the "other" religion's books are not the "true" book. Muslims think the Quran is the true while christians think the bible is the true book.If anything, the bible (or the Quran) is the wrong book because christianity is one of the youngest religions. I would assume if there were a god out there, the oldest book would be the most accurate. If there were a "true" book, the "true" book would likely be the oldest one where there have been less "interpretation" and loss.Some books that are hundreds of years older than the bible or the Quran are the Tanakh (Judaism), the Vedas (Hinduism), and the Taotejing (Taoism).On top of that, there are religious texts that are not even used anymore because those religions are long gone. The question of who was "right" really is a non question. In reality, everyone was "right" because being right is a point of view. Ultimately, religion is an opinion on how one should live their life. If people viewed religion in this way rather than saying my religion is the one true religion, there would be less religious conflict.Religion is a guide for people to live their lives and defines what is morally right and morally wrong. For example, the bible says that you can only marry one person (you cannot divorce) but mormons are allowed to have as many wives as they want. Clearly this is different. What is considered wrong in one person's eyes is perfectly acceptable in another.The thing with religion is that it has not been updated for modern times; they probably worked a little better earlier on (but probably not much better). In today's world, religion should be changed. Not in what it preaches but HOW it preaches. There are some good values to learn from religion but it should be a spiritual guide rather than a moral guide.Morality should be defined by society not by religion. The reason is simply because religion is not uniform. Not everyone belongs to the same religion. Back in the day, most people WERE in the same religion because there was not as much globalization going on. Society on the other hand includes everyone. Of course, this is impossible because everyone already has preconceptions and prejudices based on their upbringing and their religious beliefs.

[1]the problem with the world is that pretty much every religion thinks they are the "true" religion. This is shown from the original poster thinking that christianity could be the superior religion.

[2]In fact, many religions are ALL Abrahamic religions. The only problem is that they all believe the "other" religion's books are not the "true" book. Muslims think the Quran is the true while christians think the bible is the true book.

[3]If anything, the bible (or the Quran) is the wrong book because christianity is one of the youngest religions. I would assume if there were a god out there, the oldest book would be the most accurate. If there were a "true" book, the "true" book would likely be the oldest one where there have been less "interpretation" and loss.

[4]Some books that are hundreds of years older than the bible or the Quran are the Tanakh (Judaism), the Vedas (Hinduism), and the Taotejing (Taoism).

[5]On top of that, there are religious texts that are not even used anymore because those religions are long gone.

[6]The question of who was "right" really is a non question. In reality, everyone was "right" because being right is a point of view. Ultimately, religion is an opinion on how one should live their life. If people viewed religion in this way rather than saying my religion is the one true religion, there would be less religious conflict.

[7]Religion is a guide for people to live their lives and defines what is morally right and morally wrong. For example, the bible says that you can only marry one person (you cannot divorce) but mormons are allowed to have as many wives as they want. Clearly this is different. What is considered wrong in one person's eyes is perfectly acceptable in another.

[8]The thing with religion is that it has not been updated for modern times; they probably worked a little better earlier on (but probably not much better). In today's world, religion should be changed. Not in what it preaches but HOW it preaches. There are some good values to learn from religion but it should be a spiritual guide rather than a moral guide.

[9]Morality should be defined by society not by religion. The reason is simply because religion is not uniform. Not everyone belongs to the same religion. Back in the day, most people WERE in the same religion because there was not as much globalization going on. Society on the other hand includes everyone.

[10]Of course, this is impossible because everyone already has preconceptions and prejudices based on their upbringing and their religious beliefs.

[1]One person does not mean everyone else thinks the same way.

[2]And those basically came from Judaism.

[3][4]If you havent noticed, the books from the Tanakh are in the Bible. So, thinking that the Bible is wrong, kinda contradicts [4].

[5]If they're long gone, that means they were never meant to be.

[6]Religion is not an opinion. Why do you talk about the so-called religious people? Also, just saying religious is an opinion creates conflict, so your words, again, are contradicting.

[7]You forgot one thing that the Bible mentions. There is an actual divorce for the Bible. If the husband or wife were to die, that would be considered a divorce. (I think there's another one, but i cant remember it). Meaning after death, the one still alive can remarry without commiting sin.

[8]Heh, maybe you go to the wrong church, if you even go to any, or believe in anything. There is such a thing. And, it doesnt have to be updated, just translated.

[9]LOL, society? Since when did society know better? Lets have sinners take control of religion :blink: .

[10]

I will put my laws in their hearts, and I will write them on their minds. Hebrews 10:16

It's stupid to flat out refuse to listen to or accept other points of view but whether a person decides to take up a particular point of view is up to them, regardless of whether it's good for them or not. It may not be rude to try and change someone's opinion, but it is rude to try and continue when the person makes it clear they're not interested in accepting the other view.

I completely agree.

at it's base it's almost the same:

don't kill

don't stole

believe in god

etc. etc.

"the Middle East are often more religious by alot then the western people. They do read the Qur'an and so on."

Yes, and they have a completly different culture. Also they have time to read holy texts, where people on the west don't have much free time. Also they should stop reading so much Qur'an (vide World Trade Center catastrophe).

Lol, usual ignorance. First of all the base is not the same. To the Muslims, the base of Islam is submission to ONE God. That is Islam summoned up. Second of all the Qur'an does not say anything about bombing or committing acts of violence except in self-defence. If you want to prove me wrong please try. And it is nothing to do with time. You think people sit around twidding their thumbs all day? They have work, they have a need for food and so on. They are exactly like western people, except they make time to pray. They act religious.

the problem with the world is that pretty much every religion thinks they are the "true" religion. This is shown from the original poster thinking that christianity could be the superior religion.

This is not the problem. Many Jews and Christians lived under the Ottoman empire for centuries. Just like many Muslims lived under the peacefulness for a few centuries. No, the problem is extremists. People who think they are so religious they have to break the rules to be religious. Like in Irobot, the film, the computer thought she needed to do so much good that she broke her own rules.

In fact, many religions are ALL Abrahamic religions. The only problem is that they all believe the "other" religion's books are not the "true" book. Muslims think the Quran is the true while christians think the bible is the true book.

Abrahamic religions would not agree with you except Judisiam. Christianity believes in the Torah, Old Testament, and Islam believes in the Bible as a (corrupt) Word of God.

If anything, the bible (or the Quran) is the wrong book because christianity is one of the youngest religions. I would assume if there were a god out there, the oldest book would be the most accurate. If there were a "true" book, the "true" book would likely be the oldest one where there have been less "interpretation" and loss.

Not really. Say for example the idea of conventional current. For hundreds of years in physics, people though current flowed from positive to negative. Infact recently it turned out they were wrong. That is an example of where the older is not correct while the younger is correct.

Also to make such a claim you need to know the religions and have studied them. Islam for example says that every nation recieved a prophet from God and each time more things were added. It says that Judaism, Christianity, and Islam are three different versions of the same religion. It is a test from God.

Hindusim used to be like Judisiam. Infact the corrupt belief that they worship idols is incorrect. A knowledgeable hindu knows that they think Brahama is only God. A slightly less knowledgeable hindu will believe idols are the way to contact Brahama. A ignorant hindu will worship idols. Strangely enough though i do not want to create a debate about it in this topic, when you take the 'a' from the end of Brahama and put it at the beginning you get Abraham. Please do not debate about this here.

Some books that are hundreds of years older than the bible or the Quran are the Tanakh (Judaism), the Vedas (Hinduism), and the Taotejing (Taoism).

On top of that, there are religious texts that are not even used anymore because those religions are long gone.

It does not make these books invalid. The Bible whether you believe it is the Word of God, or it is a corrupt Word of God, or it is just a book does not affect the fact that many many prophecies such as Isreal would return to their holy land have come true. Just like in the Qur'an whether you believe it is true or not, cannot affect the scientific knowledge in that Book.

The question of who was "right" really is a non question. In reality, everyone was "right" because being right is a point of view. Ultimately, religion is an opinion on how one should live their life. If people viewed religion in this way rather than saying my religion is the one true religion, there would be less religious conflict.

It is not always a point of view. Would you say murder or perhaps even rape is wrong? Becuase if you did then you would contradicting your argument. There such a thing as right and wrong but not always.

Religion is a guide for people to live their lives and defines what is morally right and morally wrong. For example, the bible says that you can only marry one person (you cannot divorce) but mormons are allowed to have as many wives as they want. Clearly this is different. What is considered wrong in one person's eyes is perfectly acceptable in another.

The thing with religion is that it has not been updated for modern times; they probably worked a little better earlier on (but probably not much better). In today's world, religion should be changed. Not in what it preaches but HOW it preaches. There are some good values to learn from religion but it should be a spiritual guide rather than a moral guide.

I do not think religions need updating if they are from God but i completely agree with this 'how it preaches'.

Morality should be defined by society not by religion. The reason is simply because religion is not uniform. Not everyone belongs to the same religion. Back in the day, most people WERE in the same religion because there was not as much globalization going on. Society on the other hand includes everyone.

Ah, but society can be corrupt. For example in the united kingdowm many people think it is harmless to have a one night stand or have sex with someone before marriage. But suggest this to a true strict Christian and they will be horrified. Now i cannot say that sex before marriage because the western society as a whole does not think it is bad. Murder is bad but that may become good. It is impossible to tell someone to judge themselves by society when the society is doing exactly what their religion is saying NOT to do.

Of course, this is impossible because everyone already has preconceptions and prejudices based on their upbringing and their religious beliefs.

Yes.

[2]And those basically came from Judaism.

Have a nice day.

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Only 10 of the same bbcode per post. The last one was edited to "code" and the rest of quote tags are shown.

Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

I'm still deciding whether or not I should get into stuff like this as much as I once did, it seems mostly to just lead to arguing with no conclusion. I will say this which we should be all able to agree on: all religions cannot be right, nor can all philosophies or beliefs. The laws of logic tell us that mutually exclusive things can't be correct. God can't be all-good and all-evil, they are mutually exclusive concepts. God can't be all-powerful and semi-powerful, they are mutually exclusive concepts. Therefore if one religion says one thing that's mutually exclusive and another religion something mutually exclusive in the same category so that both can't be right, then by the laws of logic, only one of those religions can be right.

Therefore, not all religions can be right nor can they lead to God. Concerning Christianity, let me just say this: Anyone can die for what they believe while fighting. When you can find those who not only die for what they believe in, but do so peacefully while showing love, kindness, and even forgiveness for their enemies... what is more contrary to human nature?

Yes, there are many so-called Christians who do not do that, and fight rather then show peace. But there are also millions of Christians worldwide who die daily for their faith in Christ, and even love and forgive their enemies to the end. Jesus Himself said many who claim to follow Him would be liars or deceived (read Matthew 7). But what other religion so seems to have those who so deny the essential basics of human personality and nature? It is not merely Jesus and the disciples who died peacefully forgiving their enemies, but even today, people die in such ways every day for the name of Christ!

Could Napoleon be wrong?

Alexander, Caesar, Charlemagne and I myself have founded great empires; but upon what did these creations of our genius depend? Upon force. Jesus alone founded His empire upon love, and to this very day millions will die for Him.... I think I understand something of human nature; and I tell you, all these were men, and I am a man: none else is like Him; Jesus Christ was more than man.... I have inspired multitudes with such an enthusiastic devotion that they would have died for me.... but to do this it was necessary that I should be visibly present with the electric influence of my looks, my words, of my voice. When I saw men and spoke to them, I lighted up the flame of self-devotion in their hearts.... Christ alone has succeeded in so raising the mind of man toward the unseen, that it becomes insensible to the barriers of time and space. Across a chasm of eighteen hundred years, Jesus Christ makes a demand which is beyond all others to satisfy; He asks for that which a philosopher may seek in vain at the hands of his friends, or a father of his children, or a bride of her spouse, or a man of his brother. He asks for the human heart; He will have it entirely to Himself. He demands it unconditionally; and forthwith His demand is granted. Wonderful! In defiance of time and space, the soul of man, with all its powers and faculties, becomes an annexation to the empire of Christ. All who sincerely believe in Him, experience that remarkable, supernatural love toward Him. This phenomenon is unaccountable; it is altogether beyond the scope of man's creative powers. Time, the great destroyer, is powerless to extinguish this sacred flame; time can neither exhaust its strength nor put a limit to its range. This is it, which strikes me most; I have often thought of it. This is which proves to me quite convincingly the Divinity of Jesus Christ.

-Napoleon Bonaparte in his final days of exile as quoted in "Jesus Among Other Gods" by Ravi Zecharias