xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ComeToLife

My Dog Pukes Regularly what would be the cause of this problem?

AHHH!!!! my dog puked everywhere and my mom is making me clean up ALL of it! Ugh. Do any of you have mutts that puke on a regular basis? Is this a common problem? If so please reply, I'm trying to figure out if there's a common reason/cause for the problem, hopefully we can find a solution or make it better.

Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

they normally eat grass to throw up...their stomache cant handle it...and since they are purposly making themselves throw up it usually means they have an updet tummy....

What are you feeding it? They make dog food for a reason... I see people giving their pets "people food" like treats, and it sometimes makes the animals ill..If the dog is just eating normal dogfood, maybe you should take it to a vet. I dont think dogs should be throwing up on a regular basis any more than people should o.o(But then, I'm more of a cat person, so what would I know? XD; )

One of our dogs is a regular puker - usually in the middle of the night so you have a nice little surprise when you wake up in the morning. She also pukes quite often after going to the beach cos she swallows too much salt water.

Guess what? It's called...yes, you guessed it, your dog is sick! Bring him to the vet, get him checked up (I know, expensive :) ), but you'll have to do it. Or else, it'll only get worse (for dogs). Yes, my dog as thrown up all over my school stuff once before, too. It was annoying, but I found out he almost died (I just got him). It was amazing how the vet saved the dog. They gave him over 24 shots that day. :P Poor guy.

It doesn't necessarily mean the dog is sick. Our dog's been doing this ever since we've had her (3 years). It's cos she eats so fast and doesn't chew her food properly and quite often she'll get small pieces of bone or something that have got stuck somewhere and they need to come out.

Dog will usually regurgitate (nicer word than puke) because the food they have taken it has stayed in the stomach too long. This can be cause by something slowing down the evacuation of the stomach content. Our poodle had this problem created by a spasm in a muscle surrounding the entrance into the small intestine. It is quite correctable. The spasm is usually caused by, believe it or not, anxiety. Meds can usually do the job. Surgery may be required and somewhat expensive. But well worth checking out to save all the mess you have from what has been going on for so long.

My dad has a dog that pukes when it is fed absolutely anything that has peanut products. It may be possible that your dog has allergies to the food that you are feeding it. Try a different brand for a while and see if that helps. Other than that, sounds like a casual thing. Don't be too worried.

my little chihuahua pukes somtimes but only after eating human food. i guess its too complicated for their stomachs. its normal. unless the dog is puking like crazy then take him/her to the vet to get checked. but yeah its happened to me, the dog pukes then my mom makes me clean it up or the dog pisses in the bathroom on the wall (at the moment he just did and my dad walked in and got pissed i was on the computer and not doing hw).so where was i? ok. the dogs puke somtimes after eating grass on purpose to get stuff out of their system. so just go to the vet if it goes on too much(at least he doesnt puke under the bed. very hard to reach and its dark and hard to clean)lol

Whoa whoa! Don't awitch diets without your vet's consult. If you do, you may make the matter worse. You summed it up pretty well Mich, but grass will be eaten before it throws up. If the dog throws up, don't let it eat grass again, it will throw up again, so don't let it eat grass again. Just clean up the mess, and then wait. If it throws up again, or is acting strangely, take it into a vet. My dogs vomit all the time, but that is because the are out and get into stuff like grass and weeds. You got me, because I don't know. But the vomit an average of once a month. Sometimes they just eat too much to fast. Not to worry.

Whoa whoa! Don't awitch diets without your vet's consult. If you do, you may make the matter worse.

Very good wild20. You are right. Switching diets is the worst thing you can do, especially due to the possibility of an allergy.

You summed it up pretty well Mich, but grass will be eaten before it throws up.

Beg to disagree with this however. Our poodle never ate grass before he regurgitated. The food just came back up after it had sat in the stomach too long. The stomach was so irritated that grass wasn't necessary to initiate regurgitation. :)

In most cases however, grass is needed. However I must note that I do find that a dog that has thrown up once, will most often times go and eat more grass. Why I don't know, although you may know Mich. But I do agree taht sometimes a dog will throw up just because the food sits there too long.

My dog has puked out a yellow foam for the last 3 days...He acts fine right after and is back to his normal self the whole day...the last 3 days its happend around 2:30 pm....I'm worried but at the same time I don't want to go pay to find out he has the sniffles.....Help yellow foam, 3 days in a row all once each day around 2:30pm...Acts perfectly fine after.-Douglas

AHHH!!!! my dog puked everywhere and my mom is making me clean up ALL of it! Ugh. Do any of you have mutts that puke on a regular basis? Is this a common problem? If so please reply, I'm trying to figure out if there's a common reason/cause for the problem, hopefully we can find a solution or make it better.

Dogs vomit for many reasons. Many of which are completely natural and normal. So, before you rush off to the vet, spend some time paying close attention to all your dogs symptoms and actions, make note of all behaviours, when the vomiting occurs, after eating/playing/ or just odd times. The vet is going to need a lot more information before he can make a proper diagnosis of your dogs problems.

Natural and normal vomiting can be based on your dogs very own survival instinct. Wild dogs that run in packs have to bolt down what food they can grab at a kill, and then run off to a safe location to eat where the other members of the pack will not steal the food from them. Some dogs still have that instinct. They will gobble up feed and then eat it again later. Female dogs regurgatate food they carry back to their pups in their stomaches to get pups started on eating solid food and wean them from sucking milk as the pups get older.

Vomiting can also be a symptom of the dog being wormy. How long since your dog has been wormed? Depending on the climate where you live, older dogs should be wormed a minimum of twice a year. (probably more often in warm climates, where the cold does not kill of the parasites in the ground) Young pups should be wormed even more often, as often as every 2 weeks.

Also, dogs that have had parvo are prone to excessive vomiting. If they survive parvo, the lining of the stomach is damaged and digesting food is a problem for parvo survivors. Parvo destroys the villa in the stomach that secrete digestive enzymes and stir the food. Even a mild case of parvo does considerable damage. And also, some of the first symptoms of an actual case of parvo is vomiting. Though parvo is rare in adult dogs, it does happen.

Feed, human food, snacks have allready been mentioned. Poison is another posibility. Not only deliberate poisoning like from a hateful neighbor, but dogs are the worst at picking up garbage and eating it and then getting sick.

puke - yellow/foamy

My Dog Pukes Regularly

We have a dog that's done this since she was really little. I talked to our vet about it and she said the yellow foamy puke is stomach acid and that our dog is getting sick because she has a really empty stomach. She suggested that we #1 - make sure we're giving her two meals a day and move dinner back to a little later in the evening (after 5) and #2 - we give her a milk bone or some kind of bigger dog treat before bed. We've been doing that now for about a year and haven't had the foamy yellow puke since.

-reply by Nicki