xisto Community
truefusion

[photoshop] Fire Tutorial Making fire out of filters...

In this tutorial I will describe how I immitate fire using filters, in Photoshop. This technique works with many canvas sizes, but for this tutorial I used 300x300.

- First off, make sure you have the default colors as your foreground and background colors (press "D" on your keyboard).

- Next, render some clouds. Filter > Render > Clouds.

- Next, some difference clouds. Filter > Render > Difference Clouds. This step, repeat until the light shades take up most of the space.

Outcome:

Posted Image

- Next, we'll mess around with the lighting effects. Filter > Render > Lighting Effects.

I used these settings:

For the top color use orange for the color.

For the bottom color use red for the color.

Light type: Omni

In the preview on the side, make the circle cover most of the canvas.

Intensity: 71

Gloss: -14

Material: 60

Exposure: 0

Ambience: 18

(You dont always have to use these settings)

Outcome:

Posted Image

- Next, we'll ripple what we have, to make it appear more like fire. Filter > Distort > Ripple.

I repeated this a couple of times. With a value of 250. First, i started off small. Then, ctrl+alt+F, and changed it to large. Then, ctrl+alt+F, and changed it to medium.

That's really all there is to it, unless you wanna continue onto the optional steps.

Optional Steps:

- After completing all of the above. Duplicate the layer twice (ctrl+J, twice).

The duplicate at the top, gaussian blur it at 3 pixels. Filter > Blur > Gaussian Blur.

The one under it, sharpen it. Filter > Sharpen > Sharpen.

Change the blending mode for the blurred duplicate to: Pin light.

Change the blending mode for the sharpened duplicate to: Soft light.

Final Outcome:

Posted Image

thats awsome! i love graphic making! now if only i was as good at it as everyone else was! well

Posted Image

that was MY final outcome, not as good as yours but maybe i didn't choose the right Filter > Render > Difference Clouds, maybe next time i do it i will :-D

Nice outcome Albus. Like, mentioned above, this technique works with many sizes. Since the cloud filter takes up the entire canvas.

I made a sig a while back using this same technique, for a request:
gallery_8528_16_37777.jpg

Wow, I really like the way it comes out in the end. I'm no pro at Photoshop but I love playing around with it on my freind's computer, since I don't have it on my own. It really does come out looking like fire, but I sorta think that it looks a little more realistic in the stage before the final outcome. Sort of like an explosion or something. I like it a lot! I'd try but you know, I can't. It gives me yet another reason to beg for photoshop...better graphics...Just a note, this is my first post here so excuse me if I'm just babbling on like an idiot!

here's the sig i made, based on this tut. I like it, let me know what you think.

I Made it to Commemorate the 125th Anniversary of the Greatest Infantry Unit in History.

Edited by OpaQue (see edit history)

Its not bad. But I'm a graphics pro and this isnt nearly the best way to do it. By far. Well, its good for beginners but results could be better.

not bad. But read some tuts. no harm intended 

-reply by Infinity Designs

hmm, i like it, now i need to go try it out. lol i bet it would look good with a house. LOL :)

Well I tried this out. It was fun. I'm not too good at this and my friend said mine was dull and lifeless but that's the way it goes I guess! I hope there are more tutorials on here to try although my results never seem to turn out right! (Well to be fair, it did look like yours before I ruined it with a generous application of experimentation.......)

post-83050-1248538474_thumb.jpg