xisto Community
Plenoptic

Yet Another Design Here We Go Again :D

Well I have a new business plan in mind and decided to make a whole new site and hopefully start with a bang and stuff like that. Might take a while to pull off but here is a start. I am not so sure about the whole content boxes I made so I am looking for suggestions from everyone. Please comment.

Posted Image

Note: Design changed after jlhaslip post. Made changes he was suggested. I didn't think new post was necessary.

Edited by Plenoptic (see edit history)

Who said "It's deja vu all over agan" ???I'd take the words 'Newest' off the left side boxes to allow you to rotate or swap out designs. Also, the bottom blue of the rght hand large boxes is kinda heavy. Aside from those small points, it's looking good.

I'm not sure exactly what your design business is, web or graphic? If it is web design, then the layout is great, very clean and functional. If the business is graphic design, then you need to add graphics, lots of them. Potential customers need to have sense of what you can offer them. Your site should be a 'showcase' of what ever it is you're trying to sell.Even if it is web design, perhaps you could spice it up a bit with a few simple graphics like a snappy logo or a clever navigation system. Again, you need to show people what you can do if you want to sell it to them. You need to demonstrate this on the first page they see, they may not bother looking any further if they are not interested by the first page you display to them.

Edited by Avalon (see edit history)

I'm not fond of this template. The colors are not attractive becaue they're too dark. Try using something a bit brighter like light green or yellow. Those two colors will hook your visitors more than dark blue. The entire template seems to be a bit monochromatic. Vary your colors a bit. Don't just stick with one hue.I see that you're using pixel fonts for your navigation and title. Don't. Pixel fonts are meant to be used at 8 point font and nothing bigger than that. Stick with using normal fonts such as Verdana or Arial.Also, the design that you're using seems a bit old school (sometimes old school is not good). Try adding some gloss to the title, use rounded corners, and perhaps add drop shadows.

In my opinion, the font is too common. Maybe grab a font from 1001fonts.com or something, to make it different. The pixel font is fine, everyone uses pixel fonts :huh:

Thank you all for your comments I will take them serioiusly and try different things and experiment. I am planning on web design but I am still not quite the designer yet so I am practicing. I do need to do something with the banner I know but I am not quite sure what yet. I need to think of a way to make a logo and stuff. The only problem with me is I am not the greatest at mixing colors to make them look good :huh:

It doesn?t convince me at all. It?s good, but could be better. I agree with some of snildudes?s suggestions. It?s too dark and monochromatic and the gradients seem artificially placed. And you need a banner as you have just said. In fact I think that those letters at the top ruin the whole site.These things are for me the most urgent, and don?t worry about combining colours, it?s just a question of trying. Surely you end up with a lot of color schemes that you would like to use in your site. Good luck. :huh:

Edited by Sprnknwn (see edit history)

It could definatly use a better banner. Something to give the site some flair.just an abstract piece or something of the sort (the things that seem to be on every other website nowadays.) your trying to advertise your services (as i take it?) you want your main site to be as enticing as possible. When i visit your site i should think "holy *BLEEP* that is nice" not eh, its alright. imo i would work the middle column differently: basically use each sections for news/updates (each significant update gets its own section, w/ 3-4 of them) and then have the middle column change on the sub pages to include the various details. finally for the google ads i'd stick one of the lengthwise banners at the bottom, without giving it its own "Section" just plop it right ontop of the background. hope this is helpful, if a bit discombobulated

Thank you all for your comments I will take them serioiusly and try different things and experiment. I am planning on web design but I am still not quite the designer yet so I am practicing. I do need to do something with the banner I know but I am not quite sure what yet. I need to think of a way to make a logo and stuff. The only problem with me is I am not the greatest at mixing colors to make them look good :huh:

Not trying to sound sexist or anything but most guys are not good at colour mixing etc, so I guess it's not realy your fault, haha.

I think the design looks pretty good considering your young age, haha. The blue and purply blue don't go and it is sometimes better to have a white content box area where the text is seen(or a lighter colour) Because blue is a very strong colour and if you put a white text against it or something it can strain your eyes (well it makes mine go googly)
It's a nice layout but I'm not sure it would suit a 'proper' business. If it's just selling graphics or coding then that would be fine.

Well I know I can't match for anything so I thank you Becca. I only plan really as a graphical site but I might make something else. I sort of got bored and tried something else but I guess it didn't work. I will come up with something new hopefully with a better design and stuff. My bro is actually really good at web design and hopefully I can work out my little color problems and stuff. :huh: