xisto Community
electriic ink

Popular Applications Are Creating Holes In Your Os photoshop and aol users were most at risk

Wow that is pretty scarry. I have both Adobe and Instant Messenger. Hopefully they changed their code well before I downloaded them. I haven't found anything really wrong in my computer though. I guess people have to be careful what they buy or download program rise because it could hurt their computer and they don't even know it.

By holes, do you mean a gateway for malicious codes or a registry messing program? I always use Photoshop for my editing work, and so far, the "worst" error I got was when I was using a lot of memory which led my Photoshop (CS Version) to crash. Well, there was another time when it won't let me do anything, but it was remedied by restarting. I know PS could be a buggy program at times, but I need it so much that I don't mind it's flaws. Oh well, we can't trust anything after all and we can't fully eliminate things like that. We have to live with them. Same with criminals and law enforcers... The better the law enforcers get, the craftier the criminals are. Even if we make improvements, there are things that we don't have power over.

my mom was a programmer in a company who's code was messy. so in that experience, the holes are accidental, but can mess with security settings, or other things INDIRECTLY. Most major companies don't on purposely damage your system. It's by accident, or laziness. adobe isnt malicious. law enforcement is not the issue here. It's how a normal program, not done well, can vulnerize your system (windows).

If you have good virus controll and a firewall, you are set. Another problem is UPnP routers. Porgrams open up ports (virtual, not physichal) ports in your router, and let what you want to come through, but also you may have bad things come through. The safest thing to do is turn of UPnP and manually define and open ports If you have to but your really don't have to. A good podcast that explains this is security now. Google it, it's a great podcast, even if you don't have an iPod or can't download it, just read the show notes.

I swear viruses were just invented so the anti-virus people can make some money lol

This is off topic sort of, but what if the virus writers and the other big software companies purposely leave holes in there software and pay virus writers to exploit them and then get a huge profit off of solving the problems the virus created? Its not very realalistic, but has anyone else ever had this thought?

People actually do that, make bugs or something then make people have to subscribe to get the fix etc, that was how many spyware makers in the past got there money, espeicially the popular I LUV U virus. And I always run my OS in safe mode and do a virus scan when in safe mode, go get a good firewall too, even if there are holes, good security guards should stop all but the best planned out brute force invasions