xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Nani Cheri

Second Languages If you can only speak a certain language

Which language would you like to learn more?  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

At some of our schools in Holland, you can take extra lessons in languages! You can also learn Chinese now, and it's kinda hard if you only speak dutch. It's also harder for people who are older, to learn a new language than for children.

That's true, the older you become, the harder it is to learn a new languaje, if haven't learned any other than the native. But I guess that once you manage to learn well a new languaje, it's easy to learn any other after that.My native languaje is Spanish, I learned English (if it's too bad, fell free to let me know :) ) and I know basic French. I'd love to learn Japanese :D a whole diferent thing, don't you think?And by the way, I'm looking forward to learn German. I hope to travel to Europe onday, soon :)

Notice from cmatcmextra:
Merged double posts

How come there' no 'french' in the poll. It's a second language for most English students (at school).For me, English is my second language...but I have been in England for 5 years now...so it doesn't feel so much like it's a second language...and I wouldn't wanna go to any more English classes...If I were to learn more, I would do french.I have done a bit of it..But I guess French might not be as useful as spanish or even chinese these days..I don't mind chinese...it's becoming more popular and useful ...but...the characters are so hard.

I do want to learn some german (just sounds so cool) but where is french on the list? Je parle un peu de francais, mais je veux plus apprendre. :) I also want to learn some latin, because unlike most of the other languages it has a more direct application to English and everyday life. (not that learning french hasn't helped my english.)

I'm English and I currently learn German at school at GCSE level. I also used to do French until 2 years ago, but it was too difficult learning French and German at GCSE, and doing English GCSEs. Too many different languages, word orders, spellings and all that. Sometimes even the teachers get confused :)I've always thought it would be quite cool to learn Russian, but I don't know why. Maybe after my GCSEs I'll start learning Russian!

Wow, I wish I could brush up on my Russian. My parents came to America from Belarus (a slavic country in eastern europe) and they've raised me to speak Russian, but my grammar is terrible! However, I do know more Russian swearwords than I should.....svolach. If you speak Russian you'll know what this means. Hehe.

mmm... if I had to choose, English, I suppose. But I already know it so don?t know. Apart from English, I like German and that?s why I?m learning it. It?s difficult because of the genres and other things. It?s much more complex than English and they tend to mix a lot of words just to make one bigger and incredibly hard to pronounce. Too much for my throat, but it sounds very strong and I like it.I don?t like languages which derivate from latin too much. Maybe it?s because my native language is spanish and it isn?t a big challenge to deal with Italian or Portuguese which are very simmilar. And we have catalan and gallego here that have few differences with spanish. And I don?t like how French sounds, just too sweet. :) But I definitely would like to learn Chinese. I find it very interesting because it?s a completely different culture, so I think it?s exciting. And in a more practical sense, the future is opened to people who knows Chinese... three days ago it reached the fourth position in the ranking of world?s most powerful countries. They?re above to rule the world :) And there are lots of them.

I've been learning chinese when I was young, so I guess for me, it isn't so hard at all. Once you've get the hang of it, it really is quite fun. I myself know how to speak a few languages (or some may be classified as a dialect).I can speak English of course, Mandarin, Cantonese, Malay, Hokkien, and a decent ammount of Hakka.But if I were to choose from the poll listed above, I think I would have to say Spanish. No particular reason, I just think that is sounds cool, :)

How come there' no 'french' in the poll. It's a second language for most English students (at school).

For me, English is my second language...but I have been in England for 5 years now...so it doesn't feel so much like it's a second language...and I wouldn't wanna go to any more English classes...If I were to learn more, I would do french.

I have done a bit of it..But I guess French might not be as useful as spanish or even chinese these days..I don't mind chinese...it's becoming more popular and useful ...but...the characters are so hard.

224807[/snapback]

well actually I made it, when i was done i thought noooo i forgot French, but I think thats because my second laguage is french ! hahahaaaa

sorry bout that,

by the way, if it can mbe edited in anyway by operators, maybe someone would be kind to do that for me :):)

I am currently a student in the United States and aside from learning the native tongue here, I am also studying the Spanish language, culture. and traditions. I also speak fluent Polish. At the high school that I attend, there are three different languages that you can pick from to study: Spanish, French, and German. If I were to learn another language, it would most likely have to be German, as I was born there and I do not know anything about the language.

My first language is English but I'm pretty fluent in Spanish because my family is from Colombia. I also know basic French (enough to start a little conversation) and I can read some Portuguese.Someday I would love to learn how to speak in Russian. I was going to take classes at my university this semester but I didn't have enough room so maybe next time. Actually I wish I could learn many languages; I've always had a fascination with them.