xisto Community
OpaQue

Credit System For 2.1.4 Update :)

I like Avalon's idea too. The next thing we need is a spellcheck, which I'm sure isn't too hard to find. That should save even more need for editing because members will be able to correct a good majority of errors before even submittng their post. It's a shame to see that a commercial forum system (namely IPB) doesn't have a built in spellchecker when free ones (SMF, phpBB - well, actually, the spellchecker is powered by SpellingCow, but the button is inclluded in the default package) do.

The next thing we need is a spellcheck, which I'm sure isn't too hard to find. That should save even more need for editing because members will be able to correct a good majority of errors before even submittng their post. It's a shame to see that a commercial forum system (namely IPB) doesn't have a built in spellchecker when free ones (SMF, phpBB - well, actually, the spellchecker is powered by SpellingCow, but the button is inclluded in the default package) do.

If you want a spellchecker for use with the forums, I highly recommend the Google Toolbar. I couldn't live without it. The good thing about it is it is functional in any online form that you type text in. That means you can use it on ANY forum, not just here. The other plus is you have the Google search engine at your fingertips. I know if you are a Firefox user you already have easy access to Google, but you can now have a spellchecker too! :lol:

Here's the link to download the Google Toolbar in case you want to install it. https://www.google.com/intl/de/toolbar/ie/index.html
Edited by Avalon (see edit history)

Well, as far as spell checker is concerned.
I think, as Avalon said that Google Toolbar is a good idea! But, why not make a use of ANTILOST's Spell checker
https://www.hugedomains.com/domain_profile.cfm?d=antilost&e=com
I think this is a good nice spell checker and I am sure most of us will find it handy!

I think the idea has merit. What if you were to put a time limit on the duration the site can be suspended? Say, if the site in not unsuspended within 12 weeks then the site is deleted. I know it will still use resources for 12 weeks, but at least it will remove the redundant accounts.
Personally I can't see myself needing this feature, but I'm sure there are a few out there that could find it useful.

I have mixed feelings about the idea. I don't really like the idea of members leaving for long periods of time, but it would certainly be helpful to those who have to take a long vacation every now and then.

It's a toss up, I suppose.

On a side note: OpaQue, the new changes are amazing, thanks a ton. :lol:

I like the idea of the vacation mode.... But I think 12 weeks is a bit long, I would think at most 1 month before your account gets suspended would be plenty long. I'm pretty sure 1 month is long enough for basically anyone and for most vacations. The only people I can think of that this would not work is for military personnel that are deployed for months at a time.Then again, I can see the opposite side of this.... If someone is going for a vacation, they should just posts a lot the week before they leave so that they have enough credit to last until they get back. I'm leaving in 4 days to go to Florida, I'm just posting a bit more before I leave so I have plenty of credits saved to last me until I get back.I'm not quite sure which is better, to have vacation mode or not.... But it's mainly up to the admins to decide. Just giving my input :lol:

I'll give my vote to the vacation mode. Thinking that some members really need them when they are away from computers for sometime, say for a camp, over-seas trip or something, they might probably not have any access to the internet and they will lose credits points day by day. Having the vacation mode will definately help those who are loyal Xisto members that really require such feature to halt their credit system. This is especially good for loyal Xisto member like I've said.The vacation mode can, on the other side, suspend member's webhosting as well. And his/her site will come back when the vacation mode ends and the credit system resumes counting again. This will make the system fairer.Since many voted for this idea, why not we give a try and see how it goes?

Edited by Inspiron (see edit history)

Hey this sounds great. I like that you are always trying to improve the forums to make them better for us. I am glad that the editng feature is coming back. I really hope that people do not take advantage of it. There have been a few select times that even though I read my post before clicking go I mispelled things or accidentally hit go by hitting the return key. I am wondering about the hosting credits calculator. I have noticed that the calculator has been more fair than it used to be. I remember when I first started here that the first 10 credits were fast and easy to get and anything above that got harder and harder to up. Now it seems to be much more evenly distributed. Yers the first 10 seem to be fairly easy to get but it does not take nearly as long to get them higher. Either that or I have learned how to make better posts or something. LOL Anyway I look forward to seeing what the place will look like when you update us.

Notice from serverph:
another copied post from an old post by another member. placed in quotes.
copied from: http://forums.xisto.com/topic/32816-credit-system-for-214-update/

majd

I have mixed feelings about the idea. I don't really like the idea of members leaving for long periods of time, but it would certainly be helpful to those who have to take a long vacation every now and then.
It's a toss up, I suppose.

On a side note: OpaQue, the new changes are amazing, thanks a ton. :wub:

I like the idea of the vacation mode.... But I think 12 weeks is a bit long, I would think at most 1 month before your account gets suspended would be plenty long. I'm pretty sure 1 month is long enough for basically anyone and for most vacations. The only people I can think of that this would not work is for military personnel that are deployed for months at a time.
Then again, I can see the opposite side of this.... If someone is going for a vacation, they should just posts a lot the week before they leave so that they have enough credit to last until they get back. I'm leaving in 4 days to go to Florida, I'm just posting a bit more before I leave so I have plenty of credits saved to last me until I get back.

I'm not quite sure which is better, to have vacation mode or not.... But it's mainly up to the admins to decide. Just giving my input :)

Well guys, If we aren't sure about something, then I think the easiest way of deciding is putting a poll up and letting us all decide.
Edited by NDPA (see edit history)

Hi Team and Members,

I am trying my best to complete the Credit System for Invision version 2.1.4. Managing Xisto - Web Hosting and especially looking after the servers is very much time consuming.

My main objective to start this topic was to let members know the progress of the script. Please forgive me for the slow progress, because I have to do a lot of testing before I finalize every feature. The credit system is directly linked with the Hosting server and any mistake which deals with credits might directly result in your account loss. I have to verify each condition and with each member status to make sure things are stable.

PROGRESS

=======

Credit System timer algorithm. [-Rewritten completely from scratch with slightly diffrent set of rules -]

Lofi version pages and their formatting.

URL friendly links.

Updating credits on new post.

EDITING FEATURE ENABLED. (Staff Members! Enjoy your full time on your evil work, no more requests for editing posts.. !)

Editing a post recalculates the credits and adjusts the post accordingly.

A Fast Reply and Merge post will also give credits rather than ignoring the tiny amount. -> 1/27/2006

Credits adjust properly even for a post which has been merged. -> 1/27/2006

MODERATOR Function : Delete post function re-written. -> 1/29/2006

MODERATOR Function : Deleting a topic will restore the credits of all members and the topic starter(spammer) will be fined double the credits earned! [i wasted 4 hours on a silly mistake in code.. I won't forget this code] -> 1/29/2006

Finalized Similar topic hack. All tables ready! -> 1/30/2006

Keep checking for new updates.. You can update this topic for any useful suggestion :)

:) Take your time and i always have this point one perfect time consuming code is better than 100 buggy codes which future will come lot more time and will ruin the whole

So see to it the code doesn't contian any bug in it as it will save you from another time consuming rebuilding

Have a nice day!

smile.gif Take your time and i always have this point one perfect time consuming code is better than 100 buggy codes which future will come lot more time and will ruin the whole
So see to it the code doesn't contian any bug in it as it will save you from another time consuming rebuilding

Have a nice day!

I think most of this is already taken cared of considering this is now 2.1.6 after some security upgrades.

As for the vacation mode, it really wouldn't be fair for people who just are too lazy to post, to just go into vacation mode for a bit and not have to worry about posting. I think if you might have to make a minimum amount of days or so or give a reason and have people assigned to look up those reasons and try to decide whether it is good or not. People have busy lives and they still are able to come on and post. I haven't been really active since like February because of school but I still have 90 credits left because I have stocked them up. That was after giving away a hundred or so in the Xisto Awards and being inactive for a while. I come on when I can and still get the credits. It really isn't that hard. I do think vacation modes would be nice but people will find some way to take advantage of it.

I like Avalons idea. Although I won't really need it it atleast saves them some time of having to get their account back up or even request for hosting again. Maybe put up a forum in the Free Web Hosting section where they have to maybe apply to have an account suspended or just have them post how long they will be away, and why. You can suspend their account for that many days and if they still are gone after the set amount of days they will then start to lose credits. So if I tell you guys I am leaving for Texas for 12 days, you suspend my account for those 12 days. On that 13th day it is unsuspended and I start to lose credits for each day I don't come back.

I, also, like the idea of a vacation more but would have to vote for Plenoptic's suggestion. Maybe it should have a limit of no more that 14 or 21 days. I doubt that I would ever use it thought. If I would go on a vacation I would still maintain my websites. Now, we just have to come up with an idea about how to deal with those accounts that are opened, used for a short time, then abandoned. Maybe, if an account isn't logged into for 30 days, it's automatically deleted freeing up the resources for active members. There really isn't any advantage having abandoned accounts cluttering up the servers.

Thank you OpaQue,I look forward to the version 2.1.4 update. It sounds very interesting, and I can't wait for the editing points, because I know I am going to edit my posts alot in the future, and would love to get credit for it.Thanks again, for keeping us all updated.

MODERATOR Function : Deleting a topic will restore the credits of all members and the topic starter(spammer) will be fined double the credits earned! [i wasted 4 hours on a silly mistake in code.. I won't forget this code] -> 1/29/2006

That's a good way to do things. Hopefully that will deter all the constant spammers. And yeah, I know how frustrating it is trying to fix even simple mistakes in codes.

Yes, If you want easier time reading scale. That can be done

Then can you do it, OpaQue? Pretty Please? Because that'd really help out...