xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
webmaster_2006

I Hate Byethost! It is stupid

I don't know how many paid members are coming here to reply for this. But if i'm not wrong then hosting which OP discussed was free hosting. I think it's fair analysis at that time. They might have improved after that for some servers and kept same for others. So don't know why this is going like train wreck, atleast they are not reputed free hosting network that we can compare.

They are definitely great to test out and get a website up and running, but I certainly wouldn't trust going permanent with them. While they claim that all their support goes to the paying members, and they offer nothing to the free members, than why offer a free service at all if you're not going to help out? If you help me out when I'm a free member, it's likely that once my site is complete and I want a domain name.. I will stick with you. But they don't think this way. My site had went down a few times without an email, without warning, without anything. And it doesn't seem to be updated ever... to be compatible with certain codes or deal with errors very well. That's been my experience with ByetHost.

I just want to add that I’m using a free account at byethost.com since 2009 and I think they offer a very good service for the price! I would like to point out that the first posts on this thread are from 2006... so things are completely different today, if that was ever the case at all (I have my doubts once all these users saying bad things about byethost.com end up advising the same competitor host company - I think each one should take its own conclusions about that...).I have to say though that the free service has its limitations: the PHP mail function is disabled, the 404 error page doesn't say the page cannot be found and shows the user service offers from byethost (or securesignup.net); and also on my case the Google ads didn't show up because of problems with the byethost subdomain I use - xxxxx.22web.net.Nevertheless, the free account as many good features too: completely ad free; nice control panel tool - VistaPanel; getting started tutorials; php & mysql enabled; and automatic script installer. All this and more for a price that can’t be beat, which looked perfect for someone like me, who was starting and learning the basics before launching my first website. I was satisfied to the point that I decided to migrate to a paid hosting and they even offered me a free domain to go along!Ricardo Silva

Hi!I know I cannot speak for or against ByteHost because I have not used their services, but I can tell you this - every free web hosting service is essentially trying to use Google's business model by trying to offer web hosting services in exchange for advertising. They only provide you with subdomains because they cannot afford to provide top-level domain names for each and every website that gets hosted there. There are (or at least were) some free web hosting services that would provide top-level domain names to web sites that managed to attract a lot of traffic for the advertising because it worked to their advantage but I have only had Trap 17 (now known as Xisto) offer a domain name, although it is in exchange for forum content. I do not mind providing content. I have loads and loads of original content that I can give away and Xisto does not claim to have authored it so I still am given credit for the content posted on Xisto - which other free web hosting service can claim to do that?

Hi! After reading the previous post from k_nitin_r I felt the need to emphasize that currently Byethost is offering free hosting completely ad free, so they clearly can’t be placed on that category of free web hosting providers relying mostly on the use of Google Ads for free service. I agree that it is the case of many others, though. I think that their approach is much more based on offering a good basic free service as a means to attract those customers to their paid packages. In the process they frequently email you offers and show you banners trough the control panel on their site, related to premium products. I must say, that did the trick for this user… I also think that this business model differs a lot from the Xisto one.

I agree that Xisto’s (Xisto - Web Hosting/Xisto) offer is excellent and unique, to the point I decided to join the community and try to earn the cents for the free hosting/domain too! It’s great to be able to contribute to such a quality forum and benefit from this kind of offers...

Ricardo Silva

I remember when I had a free account with Byethost, which I used for testing purposes.Obviously, it was some time ago (around 2004), but the account seemed to be determined NOT TO let me do my testing.With this i mean, I could upload sites and alter and edit them with no problem (the basic stuff), but when I tried to upload the data for even the most simple web form, everything hopelessly failed.Any sort of script, no matter how simple, simply either failed to upload properly, or if it did get uploaded, it did not work and left me with loads of error messages.Apparently this happened because PHP Safe Mode was turned on, OK, that might be a security measure, but that was obviously no good to me.Also, since the PHP mail() function was (is) disabled, it was quite obvious that scripts which were supposed to send out emails were not going to work.Further, there is the Vista Control panel (this is a matter of opinion, of course), but I do not like it one bit, I find it very user unfriendly (of course, there will be people who swear by the Vista Panel, like I said, a matter of opinion).I do not know about the paid for version, but in my very humble opinion, Byethost (at least the free version) seems to be adequate for beginning webmasters, or people with a simple website with just text and some graphics, but if things get too sophisticated, it is best to take your business elsewhere.It is nice to know that Byethost are ad-free, however.

I have a free account with Byethost. When I click "Script Installer" it gives me a site informing "This feature will be available soon". Why they promise this component if it does not exist?

Duh it's free what you all want :)Even though there are some private local hosting companies over the world which give free 1gb+ bandwidth / 1gb storage ;) I know 2 like that , but they don't want many new visitors , so i wont post a link. Anyway if you do a research you might find something.@Guest well you can install any script you want by downloading a zip and adding it by FTP. you don't need auto installer :)