xisto Community
EJay

Passwords And Short Term Memory Problems! What was the password??

I hate making passwords, because now of all the hacking my default password is too "unsecure" to use. So I end up using one, that is simple, and then I forget it. It makes me really mad because thats what happened to my cpanel account, and now I dont remember the password to get in which sucks entirely, and then when you use up your ten credits, you find out what really was the password, and you hit yourself into multiple walls. because the password wasn;t the problem. It was that you were capitilizing the first letter of the login name GRRRR.

Wow, that sucks XDI keep using the same password for most things.. then leaving myself logged in at school ^^; I think have the college knows my password, now, but I havent gotten around to changing it yet XD;If someone really wants to get into something like this and cause trouble.. I mean, honestly XD;

You should've received the confirmation email, containing all information including your chosen password, to the email you provided when signing up the forum. Check the bulk folder as well.

If you can't find it, you can reset your cPanel password with 10 hosting credits by going to the process page https://support.xisto.com/ and select your cPanel password to be reset.

quick tip (for gmail account owners): compose a DRAFT mail, list pertinent details you need to remember (eg, site URL, username, password, email address used to register, etc.), save, then just leave it there. :P you don't even need to send it out; or if you want, you can send it to yourself for archival purposes. me, i just leave it as a DRAFT page in my gmail account. :)

what you simply need to remember is that one gmail account password. then, when you forget any login details, you just fire up your browser to access your gmail account, and voila, problem solved! :P having this on gmail also makes it available anytime, anywhere, just as long as you are online. :)

Ya I also hate it, but you could always write it down on a piece of paper and hide it under your pillow :) Or if you use the same password for everything there is a little pad that takes your finger print and all you have to do is use your finger to access anything. So whenever you are asked for a password you just scan your finger. I think what you do is you have to put in your real password to the software and whenever it comes up you scan your finger and it sends your written password to it so you don't have to remember.

~* Edit *~

...Well I was using the firefox addon stumble when I came across this site http://www.lostpassword.com/ What it does is I guess it searches the files on your computer for the passwords you lost when using a certain program. So if you need a password from a web site on Internet Explorer you click the program name and it tells you what to do to find a list of all names and passwords you have typed in. Same with say Microsoft Outlook for your email. Pretty cool. I haven't tried it but if you ever forget your password that can help you find it.

Notice from jlhaslip:

Added last paragragh as per report

Edited by jlhaslip (see edit history)

Lol yer..i was making the first letter in my Username a capital letter..and i was pulling my hair out at it...but then i found out (obviously) that it was all in lower case..ive kinda always kept my passwords the same since i stepped foot ont he internet 4 years ago...it consists of numbers and both lower and upper case letters :)..and is quite long..i dont know how i remeber it :P..but it certainly does the job..it means if anybody tries to copy my password when i type it..its too long for them to memorise what i typed,so i dont have to change my password..and rethink a good one up :P

I, also, use similar passwords in most cases. I recommend that you try saving your password to a notepad file or something and keep it on your computer (hopefully your personal computer is secure). I recommend that you use things that you can easily remember, but would be confusing for others, such as your initials, birthdate, graduation year, etc. in a sequence (say my name is John Michael Doe and I was born in '75 and I graduated in '83, a possible sequence could be "jmd7583" - it's pretty easy for you to remember, since you know what it means). Another option would be to use a mnemonic device, such as "The cow jumped over the moon." and then make your password "tcjotm". Or, maybe your parents' initials and birth years/ages.

Notice from jlhaslip:
Edit mnemonic device to correct spelling as requested.He supplied the word. I was going to use pneumonic. j/k
Edited by jlhaslip (see edit history)

I've been told that too long is not good (because you might forget it or might type it incorrectly) but the longer it is, the harder to guess.Too short is no good, either, because somebody could watch you type it in and duplicate it.Using your pet's name, your initials, birthdate, etc is not good because it could be guessed at by others.So, another way to create a password "system" is to combine several short passwords in a regular fashion. For example: pick a pet's name and add the URL's name. My dog is "Blackie", the site is "Xisto", so the password becomes "blackietrap17". If you have a problem, just change the method to reverse the order. "trap17blackie". Select two items, one significant to you and the other significant to the variable site name. Combine them in and ordered fashion. Maybe put your birth year in the middle: "blackie73trap17". All the concepts in this topic are good. There is no "right " way to create a password system.*wait* I have a random number generator... but no memory capacity...

I have a different 15 character password for all of my accounts, or used to, and for the most part still do. I have all of my passwords written down on a piece of paper.. and then tucked away where someone will not find them. I also have my passwords usually saved, like on AIM, MSN, and Yahoo, so I don't have to type them in on a regular basis, and for my CPanel, I have the password saved as well. I don't really like typing my passwords in, because you could get keylogged, hacked, etc, and then have someone who you don't like change it..That stinks that you weren't typing in your username correctly, and you lost 10 credits, I have my username saved as well.. so all I have to do when I log into my Cpanel is click "OK." You should using the save feature :)

I doubt that one really needs to worry so much about that kind of thing. If one has a decent spyware detection program, one need not worry about keyloggers, and even if one was installed, chances are the keylogger-placer wouldn't know what the password would be for. Besides, for the most part, people only bother to install keyloggers on computers owned by important people. No offense, but you wouldn't exactly be top priority on the internet.

I've seen my friends accounts get hacked on forums and websites before - nothing too difficult, just some password crunching and viola, the site is spammed/gone. I really hate having to change my password for everything, and have it a mixture of supposedly random numbers and letters. I always try to do something that means something to me though - ie what tv episode I'm up to and the initials of the title or something.Still, I would say if you can't remember it's best to just have it physically on a piece of paper (if you're at home). Anything on the net can be hacked. While I do like serverph's Gmail idea, you're kinda out of luck if your Gmail gets hacked and you have all your passwords in it >.<

Hey,Wow A topic that I can say a few words on LOL. I usually have a great memory but after I started working, I started either leaving all my accounts logged in or used those "remember your password" stuff resulting in a weird sort of memory loss. Where when I need my passwords the most they seem to not exist in my brains even though I was the one who set them in the frist place.But after some serious short circuiting of the brain I remember my passwords. Previously I used to write my passwords in my personal diary or keep them in my mind, Now I keep them in a notepad file adn It is safe adn sound. But recently whenI satrted working on my desktop rather than the laptop, I had not made a copy of the notepad file nor had i emailed it to myself so I was stuck for a day or two without any important URL and usernames let alone my passwords.Then the moment of frustration: I do get the notepad file sent by my dear boyfriend and the instant I opened it, Before reading them I remebered my passwords... One of my friends has a password that is 23 digits and he said that if he was allowed more numbers he would've dumped them too in it. LOL

Passwords shouldnt be hard to remember.keep it short and sweet but absolutely unguessable.If you have a good memory,number combinations are suggested.The Fibbonaci[is that thr correct spelling?]sequence with modifications serves as an excellent password or perhaps even jumbling up phone numbers of loved ones might help.Or even commonly used sentences or signs serve as excellent passwords.But "password" is the most common password in the world because it is one word that you can see on the screen and can never forget.The best thing to do is to keep a common but difficult password for all of your usernames,that helps.as far as people with short term memories go,the password should be linked with something that is a part of our life,that can save them a lot of trouble.Or even random scribbling of the password on a piece of paper might help because even if its found,it wont make sense to anyone but the owner