xisto Community
seanooi

Why And When Did You Make Your First Site?

I created my first site using Geocities (I guess like most here). I used a template that looked a bit techy (night vision?)but later used the site's own file editor to create my site. I wanted to put up a site because I thought it would be cool but I realize now it's really not something to be proud of ;). The journey from geocities to Xisto was very long indeed. I don't even think PHP was born already when I did it. ;)

My first webpage was made way back in the day many years ago. My sister started making websites a year or two after my family got our first computer and had dial-up. She used a free host that I think was geocities. She then introduced me to making websites. For the first while I used a WYSIWYG editor while my sister was using HTML, then I decided to learn and use HTML and made a webpage that didn't look so great. That is how it all started for me.

lol My first site was a year or two ago. I was a scammer on a game and went to geocites to make a form that submitted an email to my yahoo account. I told people if they gave me their username and password I would give them money. I quit that long ago and made a new site to start helping people on the same game. I then gave up playing that game altogether and ended up moving into web design. The game was Nitto1320, in fact that is how I found my first web host that got me into web design. My first real web site was with CollateralFX (now out of business temporarily) I wanted to get a chat for Nitto but ended up getting into web design and started thecsmnetowork which eventually went down the tube too. lol So now I am here.

I made my first website.. almost 5 years ago. I went to an enrichment thing for school on making your own webpage. They used Frontpage (we were in gr 7..), but there was a lot of coding html to it too.. It was a terrible website, and had no real information on it, but it got me into web design. I think we uploaded it at angelfire, but they (angelfire) deleted it after me not having updated it after so long..

My first official web site was hosted on AngelFire. Being a gamer, I made a site for gamers. And like most amatuer gaming sites back then, that meant I stole every picture I could find about new games from other sites, slapped them on the page one after the other with no text, and thought I was contributing to all the other fanboys out there.Since then Ive become an infinetly better web designer ( making me a decent web designer at total ), and yet, I got more hits on my all pic sites back when than I have with any of my other ill-fated yet content-filled endevours.By the way, Im all for biting the hand that fed me. Angelfire blows. Dont use it. Work your *bottom* off on these forums for free adless hosting, then pay for it when enough people care about what you have to say. Hosting is so cheap these days that if you can afford an internet connection, you can DEFINETLY afford $3.33 a month for gigs of storage space and bandwidth.

I made my first website on Angelfire (back when they had both the e-mail service and the free web space). It was just a simple personal website, but the design was very dated - especially when you compare it to many websites these days. I figure it was time to put my name on the web, and I thought Angelfire was the best free space provider out there (or so I thought 5 years ago...boy was I ever wrong).

My first website was on freewebs it was like an advice site because everyone use to come to me for advice so i told them just to email me through the site and they did i couldn't be bothered later on to keeping coming because there was about 20 everyday so i gave up but the site was even good enough- not much space aswell and that was in the days that i didnt knwo html. Then i had one with geoCities which was even more rubbish. There was not much space and it was so confusing how the system worked. Thats why I am here with Xisto the best hosting site in the world..well thats what i think ;)

My first site was back in 1998 with Geocities when I first discovered Frontpage and started making a site through there. Slowly learnt the basics of html over the years and studied over time untill now where I use graphic programs such as Photoshop, Illustrator, etc for graphics.Switching over to dreamweaver very much made it easier for me when working in WYSIWYG mode. Since my first site, i've moved hosts pretty quickly, to tripod, angelfire, freeservers (now ad and popup ridden) then moved up to various PHP hosts (alas with ads) till now where I'm setting up with this excellent host (Xisto) :D

I created my first site in my first informatics course (1500 hours and a high quality informatics course).

In the end of the course we were supposed to create a website for us, for a company where we also could serve as an apprentice, so, i decided to create a website for a small ville (vila mou) near my city (viana do castelo in portugal).

The result was this:
(you will need the java and flash plugin in your browser)

http://homepages.sapo.pt/

My first site was on Bravenet web services. I never used geocities as the space provided there was very less and moreover lots of ads. I was very much interested in web design and stuff when i was in school, so that made me to try out things practically. Later on I also developed love towards PHP, and that made me go into search for PHP hosting...and trying out so many providers, i've finally landed on Xisto. :D

My dad helped me make my first site. After I learned more about computers and websites, I started to try and make my own using Microsoft Word. I didn't have a webhost back than. The sites I tried to design were for my clan. They were in html and were really bad. After I got my clan going, I tried to make a website on geocities with a database and make it work like that. I thought at first you needed like a webbot. Than my dad helped me learn about databases. I didn't know exactly what they were but after he taught me a little bit about em, I knew that they would help me with my site. I worked hard trying to get a good clan site with geocities. But since it didn't have a database, I basically gave up. I had gone through a few people for websites. I even tried the UCN(United Clan Network) but I didn't get a site from them. Some one gave me a site that was supposedly stolen from them. I never knew until I showed it to the person who was running the UCN and he told me I had a few days to take it down or I would be sued. I panicked. But it was soon taken down. After awhile of going through some of those people, DS was revived. I joined them. They had a decent site that was from Snard. It was his beginning. I left DS about a week later and returned to my clan. Before that, I think I had found a decent host. But anyways, I wanted a copy of the site scripts. I had given him my cpanel username and pass and he installed them. He didn't do anything wrong. I think I had to leave to some place. If so than when I got back, the site was up. I was happy and used it for my clan. I somehow found Snard a little while after. He offered to install the update the site. I let him and he updated it. I soon began to stick with him. I was lucky to get a free copy of the paid scripts from him for helping him and all that. And awhile late I wanted to make my own scripts. I started but haven't done too well. But I needed a site for my clan. And I tried my best to make one for my clan.

Let me see, i made my first webpage when i was 9 learning HTML, i uploaded it on my ISPs Server, then i wasnt happy about it, made a new one(in pure HTML to) then 2-3 weeks later i found Geocities, i used like 2 days to find out how to register a free account ( :D ) and played a lil bit with the editor, then i just got better and better, when i was 12 i learned PHP so it got much easyer for me, my mom bought me a domain when i was 11 so i created a website with HTML first, then started using PHP.(Btw that site was for The Sims, the old domain was http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/, its redicted to my friends webpage atm lol but it runs out in two months :D)

~ Arne - Christian

Had a website on Geocities about 5 years ago, it was made in Front Page and it was about... hm... I don't remember :DI used SO many javascripts (cursor effects, clocks, status bar effects, message boxes etc.) that my head was spinning when I opened it (not to mention the great deal of errors that I had on it because I probably mixed up some code inside it). It didn't take too long for me to realize that I don't need them and that I'm better off with no site, than a site that is 90% javascript effects :D So I just made a plain one... Eventually, I moved on and deleted it...Oh, and I also had my first WAP site on tagtag.com, had some melodies, pics and a stat counter on it :(Why did I make my first site? Because I couldn?t believe that I had a few MBs of my own on the Internet! Just imagine... My site, available to anybody in the world! :(What about the WAP site? I also couldn?t believe that I could make a small site that could be browsed with a mobile phone anywhere, anytime! I once imagined laying on a grass field while browsing my WAP site, now that was a cool idea :DI recently combined PHP with WML, so I could place a message in my test site?s news box from my mobile phone, worked perfectly and I will surely use my mobile phone to interact with my sites in the future... Even today I still get goose bumps when I hear the word ?WAP? :D