xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
savge17

Questionl Html Editors Witch one are the best?

Hi, I am just wondering witch HTML editors you guys think are the best for using to help code your own site. Right now I am using Notetab Light. I am just wondering if there are any better ones to use? I.E. with a better interface, more descriptions on what things are sct. Thanks!

-Savge

i would deffenatly go for DreamWeaver. Its a bit harder programm but it has much more options and you have more then just html. you can also go further on php, asp, ect. I think you can download a trail for it on macromedia.com

Thanks, Im going to try it. I have heard great stuff about it, but I was unclear weather or not this would effect the was the browser looks. Ive heard that its is getting better though. Thanks. -Savge

I assume you are using windows so i found some sources you can check out if you really want to:
http://www.devzoo.com/index.php?tooltype=WindowsEditor

I always used Notepad++, which can do pretty much everything you want. I've never really used Dreamweaver but i heard it is pretty nice... Although its much larger than Notepad++

Also I beleive Dreamweaver is WYSIWYG but i dont really know... Like I said i dont really have much experience. In my opinion its faster + easier to edit later to just handcode than use a WYSIWYG editor.
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I also recommend you Dreamweaver by Macromedia. The latest version which is Macromedia Dreamweaver MX 2004 has all the editing tools you need from HTML upwards and to upto asp, php, etc. I've used Microsoft frontpage, namo editor and others but I've found out that none is better than Dreamweaver. If you already know html coding, you can jump to Dreamweaver and make use of it. You will find that it is really easy to create sites in few days if not some hours.If more members recommend you the same I hope that will satisfy you more.

Dreamweaver is good if you have the money for it, but if you need a free option, I would suggest PHP Designer 2005. Ignore the name, it can code virtually anything (JS, ASP, HTML, PHP, MySQL...) adn has syntax highlighters, automatic brackets and other stuff. One really useful feature I've found is the multiple syntax highlighter. It automatically detects what language you are typing, and highlights accordingly, and accepts multiple languages in the same document (e.g. A mixture of PHP, MySQL and HTML).

Ultimately, however, it is entirely personal preference. Get the free trial of Dreamweaver, and if you like it, buy it. If not, go for something else.

Another free html editor program is Alleycode. It's not WYSIWYG like Dreamweaver, but it has some nice options and it is free. If you want to learn how to code yourself, I'd recommend not using a WYSIWYG editor. While you mighjt be able to build a web site faster, it won't teach you much about html coding.

You can download Alleycode at https://alleycode.com/

When I used Dreamweaver it was a bit hard but with lots of tools and there you can make php too... after Dreamweaver I used such as front page and Notepad, but thay were to simple and I didn't liked them a lot :). so I recomend you to use DreamWeaver Im using about for month and I have newer had problems with it... If you have MSN or Skype I could send you it if you really need it...

I've tried a few of them and my chice comes down to two of them: Nvu and HTMLGate. The first is pretty popular but it can be pain in the a** sometimes due to the dumb auto complete and auto code creation from the previes. Man I sometimes have an urge to break my PC coz of this software. But otherwise its super cool. I used it sometime back and ut must be better no. I can't really tell. But the thing is FireFox compatible and som I love it. Sometimes can be a resource hog for an HTMl editor. The tag views are superb. I would go for HTMLGate if I wasn't so demanding and a simple previe in IE would go for me. In both proggies files can be opened in tabs and stuff. So its upto you to choose from these two!

You might want to try a free version of a Microsoft product, Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition. Download here :

go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=57037

visualstudio.com/en-US/products/visual-studio-express-vs

I use Dreamweaver right now because i like a lot of its features like the syncronization and colored text, etc. However, since it isnt a free software, if you dont want to spend a lot of money but still are willing to spend a little, i used to use Coffeecup HTML editor because it has a lot of the same features that dreamweaver has. Yes, it is missing a few but it still is a very good editor. Finally, for those who dont want to spend any money, definitely try Bluefish editor by OpenOffice.org it is a very good editor. I am not sure if it has the features that Dreamweaver has because i have only used it a few times but from my experience it was a great free program

Looks like I am going to use Dreamweaver, seems like its the pick of the bunch! :P Thanks guys! -Savge

I think dreamweaver is good but i personally use frontpage. I guess it's because i got so used to it and it is more comfortable and also io think it is easier not to use anything because when a programm generates a html script for you later on when it becomes harder for yourself to editit the site with html.