xisto Community
gameratheart

How To Put A "point System" On A Website? Read topic for better explanation.

You know how we have a "Hosting Credit" system on here which goes up by the quality of posts. Well, I want to do a similar, "Points System", which goes up by quality of posts. But I also want it to increase and decrease by visiting certain webpages or doing certain thiongs on the website. So I have four questions:1. How can I put a "Point" system such as this onto a website?2. How can I make it so that the points you have are visible on most pages of my website?3. (optional) Is it possible to use the point system on a forum as well as the website? Also, can I use the point system to make changes to points based on quality of posts?4. Is it possible to change the points at random? If so:a. How?b. (optional but strongly requested) Can it actually say when the points have been randomly changed?I know it's a lot of questions, and many of them may not be answerable, but I would really appreciate any help. Also, if you can't think of answers for the questions marked (optional) (3 and 4b), don't worry about it.

do you mean .. just for a normal website or for a certain forum... I'm sure every forum client have a mod where you could do that.. Example.. i'm using SMF and they have a SMF shop mod.. .. the members post to get point. .and you could buy things in the SMF shop. .Like chaning your display name, etc. sadly that mod only worked with older version....It depends on which forum client you use.

If you wont something like that you should look for search ;) i answered yestarday at same questin :)
For IPB its called IBStore look on invisionize.com for that mod.
And for whole page i dont does something like that exist but if it does you should look at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

there are a lot of PHP scripts that could be usefull for any site.

Sqlbyte, you are most wise. They should make you a mod... lol. I shall search the websites you have listed.As for the matter of Point System on Forums... no I did not intend on using a shop but thanks as I realise now that could actually help me. Currently I use SMF and I am thinking on moving to IPB, but I do not wish to host my forum with another host. I wold rather have full control over the forum. And as far as I know, putting IPB onto a site is impossible...

And as far as I know, putting IPB onto a site is impossible...

211280[/snapback]

Ummmm... let me think about that... well what do you know....

IPB is what we are using right here... so why won't it work on a site???

I didn't mean it like that. I actually meant that finding an installation file for IPB seems to be impossible nowadays unless you got loadsa cash, and even if I could find one I doubt I'll know how to use it...

Why not start out with a phpbb from your fantastico cpanel? It is free and available already uploaded to the Xisto server...skins and mods are available a phpbb.com or phpbbhacks.com.

I think I'll try writing a point system of my own. It won't be nearly as good as OpaQue's, but I will try to put in some of the major features, and not require you to go to the form's home page to check your points (in other words more easily accessible). If you have any suggestions, just PM me or reply here.

You know how we have a "Hosting Credit" system on here which goes up by the quality of posts. Well, I want to do a similar, "Points System", which goes up by quality of posts. But I also want it to increase and decrease by visiting certain webpages or doing certain thiongs on the website. So I have four questions:

1. How can I put a "Point" system such as this onto a website?

2. How can I make it so that the points you have are visible on most pages of my website?

3. (optional) Is it possible to use the point system on a forum as well as the website? Also, can I use the point system to make changes to points based on quality of posts?

4. Is it possible to change the points at random? If so:

a. How?

b. (optional but strongly requested) Can it actually say when the points have been randomly changed?

I know it's a lot of questions, and many of them may not be answerable, but I would really appreciate any help. Also, if you can't think of answers for the questions marked (optional) (3 and 4b), don't worry about it.

210603[/snapback]

I just get stuff off my web provider in the past

Why not start out with a phpbb from your fantastico cpanel?

It is free and available already uploaded to the Xisto server...

skins and mods are available a phpbb.com or phpbbhacks.com.

212532[/snapback]

Two Reasons:

1. I've already got SMF and won't change it anytime soon,

2. I absolutely HATE phpbb. I tried it before but felt too restricted.

do you mean .. just for a normal website or for a certain forum... I'm sure every forum client have a mod where you could do that.. Example.. i'm using SMF and they have a SMF shop mod.. .. the members post to get point. .and you could buy things in the SMF shop. .Like chaning your display name, etc.

sadly that mod only worked with older version....

210606[/snapback]

DogEater008, i have found the SMF Shop Mod you were talking about. It has recently been updated and now works with all versions of SMF upto 1.1, so you were wrong there.

The only thing that doesn't work is the Bank Interest. There is aparrantly a fix for that, but I don't understand it.

I think I'll try writing a point system of my own. It won't be nearly as good as OpaQue's, but I will try to put in some of the major features, and not require you to go to the form's home page to check your points (in other words more easily accessible). If you have any suggestions, just PM me or reply here.

212596[/snapback]

More power to you, michael!

I plan to start learning more about php this winter break (next Thurday ;)) I have been using it more in my site and have learned a bit more about the concept because of the computer programming class I have. (visual basic) I think once I start getting good at it I also might attempt my own point system. I don't know what for yet but it is a great way to do things.

I might abondon my idea for SMFShop. I kind of like it, it took me about 15 minutes to learn how to use it, and the "Send Email to Admin v2" works for my purposes. Question: A) how do I make the credits go down once an hour (maybe run a cron job that lowers the money field in members table)? ;) What is the bank feature?

You put credits in the bank. You can't put any in until you have 30 credits and you can deposit anything over thirty. Once you get to thirty again, you can't deposit any more. From the bank, you can award credits, to people you like, or if they have done something taht they asked credits for. It's, you know, the bank. And you write checks out, kind of.I don't know anything else about credit systems though.

1. How can I put a "Point" system such as this onto a website?

2. How can I make it so that the points you have are visible on most pages of my website?

3. (optional) Is it possible to use the point system on a forum as well as the website? Also, can I use the point system to make changes to points based on quality of posts?

4. Is it possible to change the points at random? If so:

a. How?

b. (optional but strongly requested) Can it actually say when the points have been randomly changed?

210603[/snapback]

1. Uh it'll take some work but yes indeed. If OpaQue did it, so can you.

2. Put an include statement at the top of the pages, and in the included file, read the user's id from a cookie and select his name from a users row in a database.

3a. If there's awill, there's a way.

3b. I've heard in various places around the forum about how the legnth and quality algorithm is so secret, so don't ask us.

4. Uh, if random means scheduled, then yes.

a. A cron job can be setup in cPanel to run a script that deducts a certain value in the points field of a users table

b. You could have a last update field I suppose.

I have an idea for a script for this for SMFShop. See http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ for more info.

There's a very obvious difference between "random" and "scheduled", though I don't really care.