xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Zorkaplex

Longest Word What is the longest word?

What is the longest word? I have looked around but only found an 85 letter one for a hill in New Zealand

Taumatawhakatang­ihangakoauauot­amateaturipukaka­pikimaunga­horonuku­pokaiwhenuak­itanatahu

is this even possible if you find a longer word post it some friends of mine thought there was like a 1000 letter word. I would have put this in the what is catagory but i was not sure of it as a fact so i did not.

210399[/snapback]

i have a book of the top 10 things and the bigest word there

is some Gene in the human body and it is over 1200 leters long

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Edited as reported.

Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

Woah, why are those words so long. I only knew of Antidisestablishmentarianism and I can't even spell that correctly. But I think I've seen a book about the longest words, never bothered to like... read it or anything.

That would suck to be a scientist and have to sit there and write that many letters on a peice of paper, though its probably computer generated.l, OUCH!  LOL but seriously how could u name a hill

Well then again New-Zelanders talk very fast..  :D

210436[/snapback]

what i always liked was the longest one syllabal word: screeched. A couple years back in school they asked us to think of the longest one syllabal word, and there were a couple crazy ones. it's a real brain buster, since most of the words that were brought up in that assignment were commonly known words.

NORDÖSTERSJÖKUSTARTILLERIFLYGSPANINGSSIMULATORANLÄGG-
NINGSMATERIELUNDERHĹLLSUPPFÖLJNINGSSYSTEMDISKUSSIONS-
INLÄGGSFÖRBEREDELSEARBETEN

but it means "preparatory work on the contribution to the discussion on the maintaining system of support of the material of the aviation survey simulator device within the north-east part of the coast artillery of the Baltic," according to 1996 Guinness. found that at this site

thats the longest word in Sweden. it has 130 letters. its amazing that other languages can have one word for something that is a whole phrase in english. and of course vice versa. i dont know anything of what the definition for it means but i think it has to do something with planes and flying because its says it has to do with aviation but that beats me

Wow it would suck *bottom* to have to think of all these chemical-scientificy words. And I don't think they are computer generated, since computers with those kind of capabilities have only been around for 30 years or less, so I doubt scientists from long ago could make up names like that, unless they had a time machine

i sure know i wouldnt want to think of these names. poor scientistwow i am amazed at some of the words you guys found never heard of half of them and the are super long. I guess i will have to go see what i can find and learn what they mean.

(1,185) ACETYL­SERYL­TYROSYL­SERYL­ISO­LEUCYL­THREONYL­SERYL­PROLYL­SERYL­GLUTAMINYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­VALYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­LEUCYL­SERYL­SERYL­VALYL­TRYPTOPHYL­ALANYL­ASPART
YL­PROLYL­ISOLEUCYL­GLUTAMYL­LEUCYL­LEUCYL­ASPARAGINYL­VALYL­CYSTEINYL­THREONYL­
SERYL­SERYL­LEUCYL­GLYCYL­ASPARAGINYL­GLUTAMINYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­GLUTAMINYL­THREON
YL­GLUTAMINYL­GLUTAMINYL­ALANYL­ARGINYL­THREONYL­THREONYL­GLUTAMINYL­VALYL­GLUTA
MINYL­GLUTAMINYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­SERYL­GLUTAMINYL­VALYL­TRYPTOPHYL­LYSYL­PROLYL­PH
ENYL­ALANYL­PROLYL­GLUTAMINYL­SERYL­THREONYL­VALYL­ARGINYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­PROLYL­
GLYCYL­ASPARTYL­VALYL­TYROSYL­LYSYL­VALYL­TYROSYL­ARGINYL­TYROSYL­ASPARAGINYL­AL
ANYL­VALYL­LEUCYL­ASPARTYL­PROLYL­LEUCYL­ISOLEUCYL­THREONYL­ALANYL­LEUCYL­LEUCYL
­GLYCYL­THREONYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­ASPARTYL­THREONYL­ARGINYL­ASPARAGINYL­ARGINYL­ISO
LEUCYL­ISOLEUCYL­GLUTAMYL­VALYL­GLUTAMYL­ASPARAGINYL­GLUTAMINYL­GLUTAMINYL­SERYL
­PROLYL­THREONYL­THREONYL­ALANYL­GLUTAMYL­THREONYL­LEUCYL­ASPARTYL­ALANYL­THREON
YL­ARGINYL­ARGINYL­VALYL­ASPARTYL­ASPARTYL­ALANYL­THREONYL­VALYL­ALANYL­ISOLEUCY
L­ARGINYL­SERYL­ALANYL­ASPARAGINYL­ISOLEUCYL­ASPARAGINYL­LEUCYL­VALYL­ASPARAGINY
L­GLUTAMYL­LEUCYL­VALYL­ARGINYL­GLYCYL­THREONYL­GLYCYL­LEUCYL­TYROSYL­ASPARAGINY
L­GLUTAMINYL­ASPARAGINYL­THREONYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­GLUTAMYL­SERYL­METHIONYL­SERYL­G
LYCYL­LEUCYL­VALYL­TRYPTOPHYL­THREONYL­SERYL­ALANYL­PROLYL­ALANYL­SERINE

OH MY GOD WHAT THE HELL!!?
That is the longest word I have ever seen, I really think scientist ran out of letter combination and winged it all together to make a super mega word.

Of course, thats chemical term, in real words, I think PNEUMONOULTRAMICROSCOPICSILICOVOLCANOCONIOSIS outta win it.

i searched on "longest word in the English language" and found a number of sites that deliberate over this very question. The answer really depends on what qualifies as a "word."For example, chemical names can be thousands of letters long. If you wrote out the name of a DNA molecule, it would be over 1,000,000,000 letters. But are these really words? It seems even dictionaries can't agree. "Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilico-volcanoconiosis" is the longest word in non-technical English dictionaries, but according to the Oxford English Dictionary, it is a fictitious word created just to claim the title of longest.One of the longest place names is 92 letters, the name of a hill in New Zealand that is typically called just "Taumata." And for those with a sense of humor, "smiles" is considered the longest word because there is a "mile" between the first and last letters.Amitoj

One of the longest names that I can recall of is notably the Sri Lankan Cricketer Chaminda Vaas, where the full name would be 'Warnakulasuriya Patabendige Ushanta Joseph Chaminda Vaas' As for those with a sense of humor, or just a word that rolls off the tongue is the infamous or worn out ' supercalifragilisticexpalidious' or however its spelt. lol

Just like in Swedish, in Finnish (I'm living in Finland :blink:) it is pretty easy to make very long words, because it doesn't have prepositions (for, in, to, from...) but postpositions:

from car --> autosta

and, in Finnish phrases like "Serial Port" or "gospel dance group" are put in single word (Sarjaportti and gospeltanssiryhm?)

That means that words like

digitaaligrafiikkasuunnitteluty?ryhm?ohjelmistopakettihinnastokopiointikonestanikohankaan

([i wonder,] if it is even from my copying machine for price list of Workgroup software family package of Digital Graphic Design) (It was example!!)

are possible to build.

Well here is what i have found lol it is 1,913 letters

It is a term for the formula C1289H2051N343O375S8 whatever that is

Here it is

Methionylglutaminylarginyltyrosylglutamylserylleucylphenyl-alanylalanylglutaminylleucyllysylglutamylarginyllysyglutamyl-
gycylalanylphenylalanylvalylprolylphenylalanylvalylthreonyl-
leucylglycylaspartylprolylglycyllisoleucylglutamylglutaminyl-
serylleucyllysylisoleucylaspartylthreonylleucylisoleucyl-
glutamylalanylglycylalanylaspartylalanylleucylglutamylleucyl-
glycylisoleucylprolylphenylalanylserylaspartylprolylleucyl-
alanylaspartylglycylprolylthreonylisoleucylglutaminylasparaginyl-
alanylthreonylleucylarginylalanylphenylalanylalanylalanyl-
glycylvalylthreonylprolylalanylglutaminylcysteinylphenylalanyl-
glutamylmethionylleucylalanylleucylisoleucylarginylglutaminyl-
lysylhistidylprolylthreonylisoleucylprolylisoleucylglycylleucyl-
leucylmethionyltyrosylalanylasparaginylleucylvalylphenylalanyl-
asparaginyllysylglycylisoleucylaspartylglutamylphenylalanyl-
tyrosylalanylglutaminylcysteinylglutamyllysylvalylglycylvalyl-
aspartylsrylvalylleucylvalylalanylaspartylvalylprolylvalyl-
glutaminylglutamylserylalanylprolylphenylalanylarginylglutaminyl-
alanylalanylleucylarginylhistidylasparaginylvalylalanyl-
prolylisoleucylphenylalanylisoleucylcysteinylprolylprolylaspartyl-
alanylaspartylaspartylaspartylleucylleucylarginylglutaminyl-
isoleucylalanylseryltyrosylglycylarginylglycyltyrosylthreonyl-
tyrosylleucylleucylserylarginylalanylglycylvalylthreonylglycyl-
alanylglutamylasparaginylarginylalanylalanylleucylleucyllysyl-
glutamyltyrosylasparaginylalanylalanylprolylprolylleucylglutaminyl-
glycylphenylalanylglysylisoleucylserylalanylprolylaspartylglutaminyl-
valyllysylalanylalanylisoleucylaspartylalanylglycylalanylalanyl-
glycylalanylisoleucylserylglycylserylalanylisoleucylvalyllysylisoleucyl-
isoleucylglutamylglutaminylhistidylasparaginylisoleucylglutamyl-
prolylglutamyllysylmethionylleucylalanylalanylleucyllysylvalylphenyl-
alanylvalylglutaminylprolylmethionyllysylalanylalanylthreonylarginy-
lserine.

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Always use quote for copied source.

I live in New Zealand and can tell you that although "TAUMATA?WHAKA?TANGI?HANGA?KOAUAU?O?TAMATEA?TURIPUKAKA?PIKI?MAUNGA?HORO?NUKU?POKAI?WHENUA?KITANA?T" did once exist, it's not called that anymore - just Taumata now.

Posted Image

But if you want the longest place name there is a place in wales called "Llanfair?pwllgwyn?gyllgo?gerychwyrn?drobwll?llanty?silio?gogogoch" (58) - Not as long as Taumata though.

Posted Image

But the award for longest place name goes to Thailand with "Krung?thep?maha?nakorn?amorn?ratana?kosin?mahintar?ayutthay?amaha?dilok?phop?noppa?ratrajathani?burirom?udom?rajaniwes?mahasat?harn?amorn?phimarn?avatarn?sathit?sakkattiya?visanukamprasit" (163). It means "The great city of angels, the supreme unconqueralble land of the great immortal divinity (Indra), the royal capital of nine noble gems, the pleasant city, with plenty of grand royal palaces, and divine paradises for the reincarnated deity (Vishnu), given by Indra and created by the god of crafting (Visnukarma)." What a mouthful :blink: Sorry no picture for that though :ph34r:

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
The correct usage of quote tag goes like this
[QUOTE] insert as copied [/QUOTE]
And some of your contribution were already posted here http://forums.xisto.com/topic/30828-longest-word-what-is-the-longest-word/

I don't really know about long English words, but here are two I know that are pretty long and are (in a sense) generally used.1. Deoxyribonuclaeic (I'm sure that's not how you spell it, but it's about 20 letters long). - When used before Acid, it is the full name for DNA. Ok, maybe that's not generally used after all...2. Zoologicalist (13) - An animal researcher.But if you want to know, a person came up with a 100-letter phrase for a name of a church, which soon after registered a website and is now officially the longest website name in the world. I cannot remember what this phrase is though. (Well, it was written in a very strange language of which its name escapes me)