xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Zorkaplex

Longest Word What is the longest word?

What is the longest word? I have looked around but only found an 85 letter one for a hill in New ZealandTaumatawhakatang?ihangakoauauot?amateaturipukaka?pikimaunga?horonuku?pokaiwhenuak?itanatahuis this even possible if you find a longer word post it some friends of mine thought there was like a 1000 letter word. I would have put this in the what is catagory but i was not sure of it as a fact so i did not.

The only longest word that I know and can spell is antidisestablishmentarianism. lol. It looks longer when you write it out on paper. Thats 28 letters i've counted in that word. I bet the longest word has to be some kind of long chemical name or something. I don't know. I'll google it now and see what yall have come up with.

Actually, the longest official word that I know of is Antidisestablishmentarianism. The think that has always made me laugh is the fact that is has a double-negative in it... "Anti" and "dis".

Well there are a bunch of words that have 28 letters like chemical words but here is one found in some dictionaries. "floccinauccinihilipilification" It is 30 letters long meaning, to estimate something that is worthless. Pretty interesting. I bet there are a lot of words, if you could make up a word and get it submitted to the dictionary you could create the longest word. lol Here is one that is 45 letters long "pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis". This is a type of lung disease. You can find it here, http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
Pretty interesting stuff.

Notice from jlhaslip:
Edit as per report

Edited by jlhaslip (see edit history)

Somewhat off-topic, but has anyone seen the commercial in which a little girl is given 'floccinauccinihilipilification' as a spelling bee word? That commercial cracks me up every time.

Well i do know about Antidisestablishmentarianism but there is most likely something we have overlooked. Some times when a word is translated from one language to the other it gets longer somehow. The only example i can think of is in french like the word name is actually "i call myself" it is not a good example but it gives a general idea. That hill's name is fairly long but i dont think you would find it in a dictionary but instead find Antidisestablishmentarianism to be the longest word in the dictionary. Plus words can take on add ons to it like anti or dis that make the word longer so technically there could be some truly long words out there. And is there like some sort of limit of sylables a word can contain i dont believe that is true but with a 1000 letter word it woould take like 30 seconds to say. I do think a word that long is unreal.

these are some of the longest words in the world, but not officially reconized by guinness world records and wit that the only would that is the longest with repeated letters is only 16 letters long and that word is Unprosperousness

longest words45) PNEUMONO­ULTRA­MICRO­SCOPIC­SILICO­VOLCANO­CONIOSIS
(37) HEPATICO­CHOLANGIO­CHOLECYST­ENTERO­STOMIES
(34) SUPER­CALI­FRAGI­LISTIC­EXPI­ALI­DOCIOUS
(29) FLOCCI­NAUCINI­HILIPIL­IFICATION
(28) ANTI­DIS­ESTABLISH­MENT­ARIAN­ISM
(27) HONORI­FICABILI­TUDINI­TATIBUS
(27) ELECTRO­ENCEPHALO­GRAPHICALLY
(27) ANTI­TRANSUB­STAN­TIA­TION­ALIST
(21) DIS­PRO­PORTION­ABLE­NESS
(21) IN­COM­PREHEN­SIB­ILITIES

longest chemical words

(1,185) ACETYL­SERYL­TYROSYL­SERYL­ISO­LEUCYL­THREONYL­SERYL­PROLYL­SERYL­GLUTAMINYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­VALYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­LEUCYL­SERYL­SERYL­VALYL­TRYPTOPHYL­ALANYL­ASPARTYL­PROLYL­ISOLEUCYL­GLUTAMYL­LEUCYL­LEUCYL­ASPARAGINYL­VALYL­CYSTEINYL­THREONYL­SERYL­SERYL­LEUCYL­GLYCYL­ASPARAGINYL­GLUTAMINYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­GLUTAMINYL­THREONYL­GLUTAMINYL­GLUTAMINYL­ALANYL­ARGINYL­THREONYL­THREONYL­GLUTAMINYL­VALYL­GLUTAMINYL­GLUTAMINYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­SERYL­GLUTAMINYL­VALYL­TRYPTOPHYL­LYSYL­PROLYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­PROLYL­GLUTAMINYL­SERYL­THREONYL­VALYL­ARGINYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­PROLYL­GLYCYL­ASPARTYL­VALYL­TYROSYL­LYSYL­VALYL­TYROSYL­ARGINYL­TYROSYL­ASPARAGINYL­ALANYL­VALYL­LEUCYL­ASPARTYL­PROLYL­LEUCYL­ISOLEUCYL­THREONYL­ALANYL­LEUCYL­LEUCYL­GLYCYL­THREONYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­ASPARTYL­THREONYL­ARGINYL­ASPARAGINYL­ARGINYL­ISOLEUCYL­ISOLEUCYL­GLUTAMYL­VALYL­GLUTAMYL­ASPARAGINYL­GLUTAMINYL­GLUTAMINYL­SERYL­PROLYL­THREONYL­THREONYL­ALANYL­GLUTAMYL­THREONYL­LEUCYL­ASPARTYL­ALANYL­THREONYL­ARGINYL­ARGINYL­VALYL­ASPARTYL­ASPARTYL­ALANYL­THREONYL­VALYL­ALANYL­ISOLEUCYL­ARGINYL­SERYL­ALANYL­ASPARAGINYL­ISOLEUCYL­ASPARAGINYL­LEUCYL­VALYL­ASPARAGINYL­GLUTAMYL­LEUCYL­VALYL­ARGINYL­GLYCYL­THREONYL­GLYCYL­LEUCYL­TYROSYL­ASPARAGINYL­GLUTAMINYL­ASPARAGINYL­THREONYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­GLUTAMYL­SERYL­METHIONYL­SERYL­GLYCYL­LEUCYL­VALYL­TRYPTOPHYL­THREONYL­SERYL­ALANYL­PROLYL­ALANYL­SERINE

(39) TETRA­METHYL­DIAMINO­BENZHYDRYL­PHOSPHINOUS
(37) FORMALDEHYDE­TETRA­METHYL­AMIDO­FLUORIMUM
(37) DIMETHYL­AMIDO­PHENYL­DIMETHYL­PYRAZOLONE
(31) DICHLORO­DIPHENYL­TRICHLORO­ETHANE
(29) TRINITRO­PHENYL­METHYL­NITRAMINE
(27) ETHYLENE­DIAMINE­TETRA­ACETATE
(26) ETHYLENE­DIAMINE­TETRA­ACETIC

longest name of a town or location

(85) TAUMATA­WHAKA­TANGI­HANGA­KOAUAU­O­TAMATEA­TURIPUKAKA­PIKI­MAUNGA­HORO­NUKU­POKAI­WHENUA­KITANA­TAHU
(66) GORSA­FAWDDACH­AIDRAIGODAN­HEDDO­GLEDDOLON­PENRHYN­AREUR­DRAETH­CEREDIGION
(58) LLAN­FAIR­PWLL­GWYN­GYLL­GOGERY­CHWYRN­DROBWLL­LLANTY­SILIO­GOGO­GOCH
(41) CHAR­GOGAGOG­MAN­CHAR­GOGAGOG­CHAR­BUNA­GUNGAMOG
(44) CHAR­GOGGAGOGG­MAN­CHAUG­GAGOGG­CHAU­BUNA­GUNGAMOGG,
(45) CHAR­GOGGAGOGG­MAN­CHAUG­GAGOGG­CHAU­BUNA­GUNGAMAUGG,
(44) CHAR­GOGGAGOGG­MAN­CHAUG­GAGOGG­CHA­BUNA­GUNGAMAUGG.
(23) NUNATH­LOOGAGA­MIUT­BINGOI

whoa.yeah that's pretty funny about the double negative... oh, and what are the rules, are we allowed to use plurals? because then antidisastablishmentarianismS is one letter longer! haha I win (except for St Michael :)).actually, what's really scary is I've got a friend who can pronounce that 45-letter one starting with PN... crazy, huh!

That would suck to be a scientist and have to sit there and write that many letters on a peice of paper, though its probably computer generated.l, OUCH! LOL but seriously how could u name a hill

TAUMATA?WHAKA?TANGI?HANGA?KOAUAU?O?TAMATEA?TURIPUKAKA?PIKI?MAUNGA?HORO?NUKU?POKA

I?WHENUA?KITANA?T

Well then again New-Zelanders talk very fast.. :)

Actually pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis is not classified as the longest word in general usage as it is a medical term and entirely non-existant. It was made up by someone to show how medical terms could end up in some years if they carried on naming things in the way they did.The disease is actually called "pneumoconiosis", which is a little easier to pronounce!

Yeah this one is preety long, but i know some german words that are much much longer...I guess in english this one is the longest! Here is one of the words that won the big german WORD conetst: Rindfleischetikettierungs?berwachungsaufgaben-?bertragungsgesetz well i guess only a few will understand it but it is *darn* long :)

pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

Ya like I said before only a few dictionaries consider things as words. When I put that into google to define it only like 2 places showed up with the meaning. One was the encyclopedia and one was some other random site. Half of them aren't even used at all in life and if they are they are abbreviations or somehting lol. Who would want to say that word when someone asks "What's he got?" "Oh he has pneumonoultram....."