xisto Community
savge17

The Cards Of The Future! (gpu) Graphic Processing Unit, what will it be

Lets say 50 years form now, how advanced will GPU's be? Its a good question, ive played the latest top agmes and I am utterly blown away by the power and the detail. With the nex xBox 360 its the same, I was blown away. The poeple, animations, animals, cars look REAL! What about 100 years form now! IMAGINE people what we are talking about. Subtract 100 years from this date that you are curently living. Now what technology did they ahve then? add 100 years and boom you are abck where you started! The diffrence is AMAZING! 100 years ago they didnt even have video games lol, I think. Add 100 years now. Whats happening! The technology and everything has changed and upgraded. Simply amazing, I cant wait!

It's insane, we can expect cards with 2gb of ram within the end of 2006 when Windows Vista comes out. Personally I think we're going to soon me in the age of true 3d gaming within teh next couple of years or so, I have no idea where we'll be in 50-100 years. THere's this one theory that says computer power will double every couple of months, so that'll be just crazy cool :)

Maybe in 50 to 100 years, we;d be playing "IN" the game itself, who knows?I've heard about those before, they're called virtual games, but it might be improved to make users/players feel like as if they're "IN"the game it self.As for CPU speeds doubling every few months, in 50 to 100 years, they had better think of a way to cool down processors faster than the processor it self heats up. :)

50 years from now - hrm at this rate we might not even have GPU's anymore, but rather a whole new computer architecture (no CPU anyone? :P) - as that seems to be the limiting factor. If we could get fully fledged VR in my lifetime I'd be happy though :P

Its uttlery amazing and kinda scary in a way, pretty soon in games its going to be looking like we are sctually shooting real people.....

Yea, I agree with you all the feature is amazing... In about 100 years I think one CD-R will be 100 GB and one harddrive will be 10 000 Gb lol :D but then one game will be arround 30GB very much lol. If I would still have my drive as I have now then the game cannt be installed becuse my whole drive is 32GB :D. I think the feature is realy amazing! Arround 38 years age we dident een have a TV in color??? LOL :P But now we even have Cellphones where we can wach tv ;). So the time goes fast. And I hope that it will keep going fast, but not too fast ;).

Within the next years, I think the graphics card will really die out. It will be replaced by extremely fast IGP's. Or, The graphics card will take a amazing new turn, and be upgradeable. Like, being able to upgrade the RAM like on a mobo, or being able to just drop in a new GPU on your existing board.

In about 100 years I think one CD-R will be 100 GB

There are 200gb 'holographic' DVD's in development now, expected release this year or next...
Whats amazing is that the computer is stilll quite young, at only around for about 20 years. I would be more wanting to see in about 20-30 years.

Probably computer will be a single unit with no pieces. One major processor will be dealing with all sorts of calculations - from graphics to threads, and other processes. Between whoever was talking about seeing 2Gb of video memory in the near future is kind of wrond. Have you noticed that regular SLi can consist from 2 1Gb 7800GTX graphics cards which are already in stock? And the total will be 2Gb (1+1GB). Plus I've recently seen a commercial from dell talking about some quattro or something like that system that will be able to combine power of 4 graphics cards, which can give you in total up to 4Gbs of video memry. So, what many of you guys think as of the future, became reality long time ago, but we just don't know much about it. As a good example many of you probably've heard of SLi not so long ago (like maybe up to a year), but the technology SLi has been developed many years ago, maybe like 96/97 when famous for that time voodoo 3DFX started development of the system that supported multiple graphics cards. I've actually seen pictures with like 8-10 graphics cards in a motherboard. But probably because of the financial problems and other needs 3DFX sold the idea to NVidia and now it is what we know SLi.

i think that dual cards and multiple cards will definately go down the drain. why have 2 if you can put that much into 1. I personally think they will become smaller and faster. Everything in technology works that way. Think of engines, giant single cylinders...now semi-small v10's and whatnot. Same with computers... processors used to be rooms full of vacuums. Now they're packed in 90nm, and are atleast a million times faster.graphic cards will probably follow the same path. right now, you see the are pretty well sized boards. one day all that may fit into a little processor (cpu sized) and process 100 or more times more information.

Have you noticed that regular SLi can consist from 2 1Gb 7800GTX graphics cards which are already in stock? And the total will be 2Gb (1+1GB).

221471[/snapback]

For your information, the maximum is 512mb, only the dual core ones have 1gb per card.

From what i heard, pc wont be made of silicon, but of carbon tubes... i dont know though....

Maybe we won't need graphic cards in 100 years, the ga or whatever will be "rendered" in our mind and you have only some wires going to your head and everything else will happen in your head. You will feel like in the game or movie, you will smell and feel the game, because your nerves are stimulated in a way that makes you think that you are in the game.Souns cool :(

well here is something else to deal with do u think our brains will be able to handle the tech after 100 years i think we will go so beyond our heads that we will start making super humans or we will have a new human race or we will evolve into ailens!!!

well here is something else to deal with do u think our brains will be able to handle the tech after 100 years i think we will go so beyond our heads that we will start making super humans or we will have a new human race or we will evolve into ailens!!!

221768[/snapback]

Why would our brains have to handle the tech? It's not as if the majority of people even know how the current technology works at all. And I'll assume you were just kidding with your alien comment