xisto Community
Zorkaplex

Telemarketers one of the greatest annoyences

Every day about every half-hour we are called by Toll free call(we have caller id) every time we pick up the phone the caller hangs up! Some times we get a recording that tells us to hold because all of thier agents are not availible.Has anyone every been harassed like this?

In the UK it's possible to have your number not publicly listed, although I think it costs a bit of extra money. This stops telemarketers from calling you and trying to sell their crappy products. I'm sure they have a similar in different countries that can help get rid of those annoying calls. It also helps with dettering prank calls since it's harder to get your number, unless your friends get really drunk one night and think it'll be cool to call you. Which I don't mind cause it wastes their money.

Just do what i do. Get the anonymous phone call rejection service, and the block call service. Whenever those annoying telemarketers call, just add their phone number to your block list.

We also have a no call list here and my house is on it even though some people do call every once in a while. I like to play around with them though sometimes. If it is a computer and I know it I will wait to say hello because they won't respond until I say something. Then I will just start messing around pretending to talk to it. If it is an actual person I just pick up saying hello, no thanks, don't call here anymore, good bye.

I'm sure they have a similar in different countries that can help get rid of those annoying calls. It also helps with dettering prank calls since it's harder to get your number, unless your friends get really drunk one night and think it'll be cool to call you.

Here in Australia, it's called a silent number. It doesn't get printed in the phone book, pretty much. Anyways, it costs a few extra dollars every month, and seeing as the incessant prank calls went from umpteen/night to pretty much zero, it was definitely worth it. It didn't really help with the roof rocking though :P

Well i do know that there are services that stop telemarketers from calling but we are not really going to pay for it when it is this spicific number. Is that illegal to do even though we ask them to remove us from thier calling list?

If you are in the US you should be able to stop the calls by registering on the national do not call list, Here. I also heard a while back that the telemarketers will be able to call cell phones soon which will mean that we may end up paying for their annoying calls, so you may want to add those too.

Ahh yes, telemarketers. This truely has to be one of the most annoying things in mylife lol. It seems they really jsut like to annoy. I use the do not call program but it seems to me that one telemarketing company still has my number :P But its strange they aren't even wanting to talk to me... They are looking to talk to the old residents that used to leave at my house (just moved here a month or 2 ago) Which dosen't even make since to me because my phone number shouldn't be the same as the old residents. I kindly tell the telemarketers that He/She dosen't leave here any longer. Then about a few hours later they are calling again. And sometimes I tend to get a little hatefull towards them. I wonder how much virbal abuse these guys get a day? Also makes me think they must get paid sort of good to take that virbal abuse :P

In the UK its free to have your number removed from telephone directories and you can be put on the Telephone Preference Service, which is also free. That stops anyone who witholds their number from calling you. Theres also a similar servic for junk mail, but I can't remember the web addresses.It's also now illegal in the UK to get the 'silent calls', they have to either have someone answer the phone as soon as you pick up, or have a message play and promise not to call you again.

When I want to be an **bottom**, I ask the telemarketer to please hold. This does 2 things. First, you don't have to listen to them and they will eventually give up and hang up the phone. It will probably piss them off a bit too. Second, while the telemarketer is waiting for you to come back to the phone, that person is not able to make other calls to other people. This means there are less telemarketing calls overall!! If everyone did this, telemarketers would be oiut of a job and nobody would get called.

Before the year 2004 came US government ran a short lived campaign to help citizens with those annoying telemarketing calls, especially during dinner hours or worse yet after 9pm.

https://www.donotcall.gov/

This is the official government site that you can go to and register your telephone number to be listed as one of numbers that if a telemarketer calls after 31 days of your registration, they can be fined with a heavy fee. This program only protects US residents and only if you registered with this site.

There's an expiration date for this sign-up. It's 5 years from the day of your signing up. So don't forget to renew them before it expires. This program does not protect you from surveys, however. Telemarketing calls are specifically defined as calls made by companies that picked your phone number out of random or sold information to gain consumers. This does not protect you if you purchased a product and its company is contacting you or you gave permission to be contacted.

How effective is it? Well, I have not received telemarketing calls in over 3 years. But I also watch out who I give my telephone numbers, especially when I fill out an application on the internet.

Wow thank for your help.Just wounderin BuffaloHELP if they are able to be fined then why does every one not do this is there some catch?Also i do know that stores give you discount cards that allow them to get ur phone number and then give it out. Is this true and would that be illegal?