xisto Community
devildude93

Daddy Long Legs Did You Know its most poisonous

Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs

The daddy long legs did not bite Adam. It was a common cellar spider that bit him. A daddy long legs is actually a harvestman spider. It was a faulty mythbusters experiment as they didn't even use daddy long legs spiders.

I highly doubt eating a daddy long leg is going to kill you but i wouldn't even try it unless you become homeless and have to eat something. Also the daddy long legs is the most poisonous but its teeth cannot penetrate the human skin so in that case we cant get hurt by them.

one funny funny thing i don't get , why is everyone saying how much they don't want to eat a daddy long leg or would never eat one.. cause seriously.. why the hell would you eat a spider in the first place.. i wouldn't bother picking it up.. the first thing i do is spray it or wack it with a heavy book when i see one.. talking abt eating them lol.the only spiders im not scared of , well can't really say not scared but i can actually touch with a tissue are those tiny ones that havent grown at all.. i can actually squash with my fingers of course with a tissue.. but the bigger ones are too creepy.. i cnt even pick up a dead one with a tissue in my hand.the thing i want to know is.. do we really eat spiders when we slp.. and how often does it happen.. of course there have to be spiders around though.

They tested that on Mythbusters, (My favorite show on Discovery Channel!) and proved it to be false, they even got one to bite and it did absolutely nothing besides a little minor itching. Daddy Long Legs are no more poisonous than a common spider anyone living at a fair distance north of the equator might find. :lol: Also, could you post your sources? Don't just post saying something is true, at least provide some links to the place you found out about it, or an article on the subject next time.

Not very bright...

Daddy Long Legs

People, PLEASE! Do a little research and get a clue. There are TWO types of arachnids typically referred to as Daddy Long Legs - one is an Opilione (which has NO FANGS and NO VENOM GLANDS) and the other is an actual spider (with fangs and venom). The actual spiders were the ones used in the Myth Busters episode and their venom was proven to be very mild, and it was also proven that they CAN bite humans - but the effect was negligable. The pill-bodied Opilones that most (apparently mis-informed Americans) call Daddy Long Legs have NO venom glands and live off of dead vegetation or animal matter. There are some that hunt very small prey, but they don't use venom 'cause they don't have any.

To the writer who says his/her friend was bitten by one and was rendered mentall retarded ("retarted") from the poison: Are you sure it was your friend who was affected by the bite?

To the writer who claimed that Myth Busters didn't even use the right animal: You go on believing anything you want to. It has become unnevervingly obvious that people are so averse to admitting their mistakes that they will come up with whatever means necessary to justify their own delusions just to avoid a blow to the ego. People would rather plug their ears and ignore reality rather than try to actually LEARN something factual for fear of admitting they were wrong.

THAT, my friends, is the root of absolutely EVERYTHING that is wrong with the world today. STOP THE STUPIDITY!

-reply by Garbi

I always though that myth was wrong, I mean it just didn't make sense. Why would an animal like the Daddy long Legs be the most poisonous creature, yet it can't do anything. Absolutely no sense. Kids play with Daddy Long Legs, ripping off the legs and decapitating them. Some child was bound to eat one, I've never read in the newspaper "Child die from dangerous Daddy Long Legs".

That trap feedbacker, garbi, summed up pretty well my thoughts after reading this thread... and Forbez, you are absolutely right. I'm sure tons of people have eaten spiders, either accidentally, or on a dare of something, and I have yet to read about a death from swallowing a daddy long legs.As for the spiders (and I'm thinking of the cellar daddy long legs - cause that's the only ones that I've ever referred to as a daddy long legs before now) I never got near them before now, and I don't really plan to in the future. Spiders, whether or not they have or don't have venom that can hurt us are just plain gross. But I did learn some interesting things from reading through all these posts, so I'm happy about that.

That trap feedbacker, garbi, summed up pretty well my thoughts after reading this thread... and Forbez, you are absolutely right. I'm sure tons of people have eaten spiders, either accidentally, or on a dare of something, and I have yet to read about a death from swallowing a daddy long legs.
As for the spiders (and I'm thinking of the cellar daddy long legs - cause that's the only ones that I've ever referred to as a daddy long legs before now) I never got near them before now, and I don't really plan to in the future. Spiders, whether or not they have or don't have venom that can hurt us are just plain gross.

But I did learn some interesting things from reading through all these posts, so I'm happy about that.

I remember reading somewhere that the average human beings swallows five to six spiders each year during their sleep. The spiders just crawl right in. (I hope I don't sleep with my mouth wide open. lol) Some people don't even consider daddy long legs as spiders because they don't look like your typical spider. Most spiders have fur on their legs, and you can see all of the eyes on its head. It really creeps me out. If I see a spider, I tend to steer clear of it or squish it. Where daddy long legs are so thin, they're almost hard to see. I don't recall, but are daddy long legs' legs set up like water bugs' legs where the knees bend the opposite way a human knee bends?

Nope, Daddy Long Leg poison doesn't do a thing to us, go on to Youtube and search Mythbusters Daddy Long Legs or something, you'll see ;)

Some people don't even consider daddy long legs as spiders because they don't look like your typical spider

And they only have 6 legs, they ARE not spiders, they are opilionids.
Edited by samlockart (see edit history)

That

Daddy Long Legs

How can people be allowed to blog the dumbest crap ever on the internet? Just because the Daddy Long Legs preys on the Black Widow, doesn't mean it is that venomous. Turns out, the recluse also has the same teeth as the Daddy Long Legs and they manage to do pretty well. The venom in DDL spiders is harmless to both humans and animals. Fail.

-reply by Kyle