xisto Community
GeT HeXD

How To Install A Favicon Yup, a favicon.

Thanks for your tutorial. I now have a favicon on my site!For those of you who want to use something with a photoshop-esque feel to it, but can't find a way to make icon files, I found out The GIMP can make icons... does that help?

Edited by NDPA (see edit history)

Oh, and if it takes a long time to upload the file to your host, it's normal. I guess because it is a big file but mine takes like 3 minutes to upload. IDK maybe a slow server? Not Xisto, my non-PHP host that I just keep like my flash files, images, shiznitz0r like tah.

It should not take a long time to upload. These are small files and usually should take a second or two no matter what your connection speed is. A .ico file is only 16x16 and loads very fast. The file shouldn't be any bigger than a few K in size. If you are having slow uploading on this file then you should change your host because they are hosting you on a modem or something...

Adam

someone told me once to make a bmp and rename it as .ico and that seemed to work :lol:

You can make it as a bmp or there is a great website where you can create an icon right online. To get it go to Favicon Editor
Edited by adamluz (see edit history)

is i possible that to display the favicon your website has to be uploaded to a host, because right now im making a website and it's saved on my computer but it's not uploaded yet, but the favicon is only displayed on firefox...ie doesn't show it...Any help?thanks -Benjamin

Now i just need a program to make a ICO file. Thanks though.

Thanks a lot for this tutorial. You made a simpler thing even simpler by the way you explained it. Favicon's can add a boost to your website, so thanks for telling us.Even though I knew how to do this, you refreshed my mind :P.Is there any browsers that aren't capable of Favicon?Have a great day!-Tom.

I came across this a couple weeks ago, and was quite pleased. It's a lot easier than downloading the plugin, and you can make any picture you want into a favicon in only seconds, free of charge.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

There is a similar offer on this website: http://www.chami.com/html-kit/services/favicon/. It has no apparent limit to the file size of the image you upload and it is generated within seconds. If you want to enhance the hyperlinks on your website leading to other pages by adding the target's favicon right next to your link, have a look at this nice tutorial: Hyperlink Cues with Favicons

Your Favicon ResourceHow To Install A Favicon

Stop by http://ww1.faviconblog.com//?gtnjs=1 for all your favicon needs.

Here you will find the tools to make your own favicon, and instructions on how to deploy it to your website or blog.

"FavIconBlog.Com is a website dedicated to the FavIcon. Here you willFind everything about this small but important part of every website. "

-Loren

Great tutorial I will be using this to make a custom Favicon for my site (ITneed.net). I have tried in the past and failed badly however I have just tried now following your tutorial and no problems. A Great tutorial keep up the good work.