xisto Community
zootycoongold

Winrar Or Winzip?

My archive manager is WinRAR and since I found it (before 3 or 4 years) I've never change it. Before that I use to work with WinZip a little but I'm not very impressed. WinRAR 3.71 Pro has full support of the archives RAR and ZIP. It has high effective algorithm to compress the data. Interface that supports the technology drag & drop and also interface for command line. Full control of archives from other formats (CAB, ARJ, LZH, TAR, GZ, ACE, UUE). Support of continuous archives in which the stage of compression can be from 10 up to 50 % more than the normal methods of compression, especially in compression of high quantity not big similar files. Support archives in many volumes. Recovering physically damaged archives. Additional functions that advanced users may find for example are coding, adding comments to the archives (with full support of ESC - sequences ANSI), conducting protocols for mistakes and so on...

Other big advantage of the program is that it is supported in two versions:

- version with graphic interface (GUI) - WinRAR.exe

- console version - Rar.exe, working from the command prompt in text regime

I use WinRAR, and have been doing so for many years, I will NEVER use WinZIP, it is just plain annoying to use and is too complicated. I don't like it.WinZIP is just easy to use... I like its look and is fast and error free.Je l'aime :lol:

if you are a normal home user, the simple answer is get a winRar as all other people said because it extracts more file types and sometimes even weird ones like .jar (mobile file extension) here are list of file winRar opens:

* CAB

* ARJ

* LZH

* TAR

* GZ and TAR.GZ

* BZ2 and TAR.BZ2

* ACE

* UUE

* JAR (Java Archive)

* ISO (ISO9660 - CD image)

* 7Z

* Z (Unix compress)

* ZIP

but if you are looking for some kind of business solution then have a look at win zip they off all kind of things such as:

View All Files At-A-Glance and Drill Down Quickly

Any Windows Explorer user will feel right at home with WinZip's Explorer-style view. It makes it easier than ever to navigate and organize complex, multi-folder Zip files.

Automate Repetitive Tasks

If you select WinZip 11.2 Pro for your organization, your users will love our new WinZip Job Wizard that handles predefined data backup jobs and easily creates zip jobs that run automatically. It's a HUGE time saver and your users will thank you for it.

Zip Directly to CDs and DVDs

Also available with WinZip 11.2 Pro is the ability to zip directly to CDs and DVDs. That means that your users can skip a step because there's no need to zip to their hard drive first. Large Zip files will even span multiple disks automatically.

and also

WinZip E-Mail Companion works seamlessly within Microsoft Outlook, Outlook Express or Windows Vista Mail and is the perfect solution for reducing the complexity and time that it takes to send and receive e-mail attachments, and will reduce the amount of disk space required to store those messages. Simply write your e-mail, attach your files, click Send and let WinZip E-Mail Companion do the rest.

* Reduce the size of e-mail attachments

o Send e-mails faster

o Save download time for recipients

o Reduce the amount of disk space required to store e-mails

* Reduce the time spent creating e-mails

o Fewer steps to compress and add attachments

o Works within the MicrosoftŽ Office and E-mail programs that you already use so there's no learning curve to get started

* Protect attachments containing sensitive information with password-based AES encryption

have a look at http://www.winzip.com/win/en/whatsnewwz.html for video demo

Notice from rvalkass:

Anything you copy must have Quote tags around it.

Readme ~ Rules ~ AUP

WinZip is more modern i think, but that doensn't matter, cus WinRar kan open more files, i would definitely choose that one, but of course you have to choose yourself.....

I think so ^^/ Winrar is the good and Best software to Extract File ^^ :lol:

Winrar is good. I preffer the WINZIP. It is easy.

But...... i think Winrar can share thr file is Part 1, Part 2 , Part 3 ^^/

and winzip can not do it ......

Despite all the bells and whistles that Winzip my possess, I still think WinRAR beats it anytime, anywhere.However, neither one is free.... So, why not try something like p7zip? It supports the most common formats out there, including the already mentioned 7z which has very good compression rates.Anyway, some one mentioned that Winzip has cute things for people who need business solutions... I disagree:Even though Winzip may ease the backup and recording process, I would rather pay for an advanced task scheduling software than pay winzip to have those functions... It's just too limited. Imagine: with p7zip and a decent task scheduler, I could keep zipping and burning backups just like I did before, AND also set up many other automated tasks such as cleaning old backups from memory, etc...It's just not that useful to have Winzip ou Winrar these days... other programs/formats are better and free."But those formats are not so widely known" <-- well, we can't blame the programmers... it's the users' fault. users are the ones who use pirated versions of winzip and winrar. If they didn't, there would probably be other formats in the big picture.

If you want your program to run lots of file formats, 7zip is good. To compress very high, Uharc (running in MSDOS) or KGB Compressor is good.But if you want enough file formats, high speed, and enough compression WinRAR is the best.The age of Winzip already passed when WinRAR written. Lower version than 11 or 10 WinZip cannot open the zip files which are created by WinZip 11. But lots of versions of WinRAR can open zip or rar files which are created by the last version of WinRAR.By the way I am using both of 7zip and WinRAR.

WinRar is the best...............sometimes it can open some folders so you will need 7Zip..Wizip is more for peoples who allmost not downloaing many thinks.........because 99% you will find in RAR format and Winzip can't handle it+if you wana compress big file(more than 1G) you will need make him RAR because for Zip it's to big and so better is WinRar......I using WiRar and 7Zip(1time from 1000XD)........

WinRAR has what a compression program needs, supports many filetypes, fast and easy to learn. It have a lot af settings for compression too.So i would say WinRAR is the best of the two, but WinZip is not a bad program either

Edited by slazor (see edit history)

I would perfer WinRAR much better than WinZIP. WinRAR is compatible with various file extensions, and also provides a password function to protect your files. This is probably the reason I would stick to WinRAR: privacy is secured. :)

WinRAR Or WinZip ?

Winrar Or Winzip?

7Zip is the best ! It can make 50MB go to 6MB ! It can even extract almost any file you can give it to eat !

-reply by 7Zip Rules