xisto Community
liauce

What Is Singing All About? How to sing? Some tips and answers..

Wow, this post is totally great. I definetely agree that the techniques used by vocalist vary by genre, especially when the vocalists really know / have studies in music. Take Chester from Linkin Park as an example, I saw the dvd the other day and he was asked what he does to have the voice he has. His reply was, I probably do everything a vocalist shouldnt do. Which is where I think he gets his really heavy voice from, though he already made his millions, I think thats why the second album was more soft than the first one. And a tip for bmxpunker2005, if you want to sound great, I really recommend you take a few classes in school or something. Atleast so you can get the basics, people on the net can give you advice but it will never compare to taking classes. What I would recommend is you start tuning your voice with the guitar or any other instrument. First tune your instrument, (there are lots of programs on the net to do this), then hit the third string of the guitar (G on standard tuning) and say its name. After a while of practicing that note youll hear how your voice blends with the guitars sound, then try with A and E and B.

Thanks for the advice FLaKes, I think the part you wrote on tuning my voice with the notes is a great idea to help me. And taking classes really would be the best way to get my singing better. The problem is im scared or embarassed to go and try. Because I've never really sang before. But I'll get some balls to take a basic class, and then take the rock world by storm..lol Well thanks again everybody. Cheers!

It also depends what style your singing, what you define as singing. . .Screamo music style for example. . . very shouty and ugly vocals lolbut thats what its all about. no notes, no tone. . . jsut shouting

It also depends what style your singing, what you define as singing. . .Screamo music style for example. . . very shouty and ugly vocals lol
but thats what its all about. no notes, no tone. . . jsut shouting.

Then that wouldn't be music. :huh:

Also, liauce, where'd you learn all that...? You probably know more than me. I'm actually in the vocalist career. Heh.

Also, if you want to become a vocalist, I recommend you to study the 'piano', not drums or anything else, study it for like 5 yrs. Then start trying to sing. You will know alot. Eventually, start taking vocalist lessons. That's how I got myself started. It ended up great. :P

Haha, good question

Also, liauce, where'd you learn all that...? You probably know more than me. I'm actually in the vocalist career. Heh.

I'm actually studying voice under a local vocal coach and actually still in pre-university school which where I am we call it Junior College. Singing is my pasttime and I sing with one of the best choirs in the world Victoria Chorale. - The webpage of VC - I am also the conductor of my church's youth choir and I intend to do my further studies abroad at Indiana University Bloomington, however, I can't scarcely afford that at the moment.

Anyway What vocalist career are you in?? I doubt I know more than you. I would love to learn from you actually

To those interested in learning how to sing...

You must get a vocal coach, no amount of reading and online lessons will help much. It is only a good supplement. You cannot do without the basic grounding and foundation. I will also tell you why. Everyone is different, has a different body and different strengths and abilities. What you do to make you sound good may be slightly different from what I do to make me sound good. Therefore the vocal coach is there to tell you, hey that's a good sound and then you continue producing it and repeating it. Or the vocal coach may tell you do more of this and more of that and you experiment till you get a nice equilibrium voice that is uniquely yours and the most beautiful sound you are capable of producing. But to identify this most capable sound requires a trained ear.

Hi Ok. Let me put my contribution in a separate post from the Introduction and guidelines.
Today I will be addressing a common problem faced by many singers. That is a sore throat. Below are some common reasons why people get a sore throat and the solution to these problems.

1. Dehydration --> This is obvious, Drink plenty of water and do not scream or shout

2. Screaming or shouting or singing excessively loudly --> there is a correct way to shout and a correct way to sing excessively loudly, and that is by engaging your diaphragm to punch the sound out. How do you do that? Lie down on a mat or on your bed and place your palm just below your rib cage. The bottom of your rib cage is shaped like an inverted V. At the vertex of this V is also the center of your diaphragm muscle and where you should exert your force when singing. To see how your diaphragm moves, just inhale and exhale gently without any tension whatsoever in the shoulders, throat or neck and feel it rise (inhalation) and fall (exhalation). This can go on to become a whole topic, Ill thus address this another time. If your problem persist, you may want to continue reading point 3 which deals with what you need to do to your throat.

3. Tension of the throat --> this occurs because you are trying to sing a high note, or trying to sing very loudly or just tense. If this occurs because of singing high notes, or loudly, then please refer to point 2. Now if this occurs because you are tense, then there is a way to release the tension. A tense throat is only one where the throat is shut tight and you are trying to force air in. Now one way to see if your throat (which is the back of your mouth) is open, is to stand in front of the mirror and open your mouth wide (3 fingers spacing) and see if you can see your uvula. If you dont know whats a uvula check dictionary.com. If you can see it dangling freely and not resting on your tongue (which means your tongue has to be raised and blocking the passage way in order for that to happen), then your throat is open. If not it isnt. A common problem with many people including singing coaches is that we tend to equate a big open mouth with an open throat. However, if your mouth may be open at the front, but not at the back. Meaning your jaw may be wide open but the passage way is blocked, thus sound cannot flow freely and there is abrasion against your larynx (voice box) thus you get a sore throat. Now, Ive yet to touch on how to open that throat. If you can identify when its open and when its close, then just try to relive the same experience that causes it to be open. Some experiences include, yawning, getting ready to swallow something huge, or just having trained to lower the back of your tongue at your whim and fancy. To solve the problem you have to go progressively from identifying the experience to creating it. This will take time and a conscious effort. It sounds difficult, no but its actually very easy. Think of how many times your have yawned in your life.

I will stop here. If you have further questions pls direct them to this topic. I will try to be of help.

OMG you are soooo right i sing alot in choirs and do my own recordings and i always have a BIG bottle of water near because my voice tends to become dry and corse.. but when it comes to sing high, low, and everyting i can manage it doesnt strain my voice box or anything

Anyway What vocalist career are you in?? I doubt I know more than you. I would love to learn from you actually

I'm actually in a band, we started out as rock/metal. It started hurting my voice, so I had to stop, and go to Pop and R&B, which fitted me more.

i have to agree sopranos dont always get the harmony WE HARMONIZE TOO! lol and its great to be said honestly the altos have the hardest part of the whole thing their part doesnt always fit with the others and they have to deal with dissonance and fitting into the chord more than anyone else most of the other parts can hear their part playin the piano or music....altos cant. ^_^ people always think that singing the melody is easy but its not...u try singing the halleluigha chorus and yes i know i spelled it wrong but singing the high g in tune and multipul times! its hard people! i dunno i just wanted to add more in this topic because of the simple fact that i am goin to be a music teacher and singing is the one thingthat i love and yes vibrato is natural...you can force yourself to use it but its hard to do once you get it its hard to stop i have a hard time with that now fitting into a college choir and not using it so often. i have half control over it when i get high enough i cant control it and when i go low i cant. its fun though and its truley a way to express yourself in a wonderful way that only u can really understand and its really good for people who dont like talking to others about what they're feeling.

I can't sing at all, wish I could though, it's one of the thigns in life I really wish I was good at. Then I could do so many great Disney music videos of my own! Mwahahahahah! *cough*

What I've always wanted to find out was how to increase one's singing range. By this I mean being able to sing falsetto notes as well as the lower notes. Is there a certain trick /special training to help one achieve this?As well, how should one use the diaphragm (sp?) to project the singing voice as much as possible?

Anyone knows how to get a gutural voice without hurting your throat too much? I think there are books which explain those techniques.And I also don?t think that you need a good voice to sing... it's more a question of personality... as long as your voice has something different and you use it cleverly, you are a good singer, in my opinion.

Up to your imagination what is considered "something huge" to "swallow".On how to increase your rangeThere are many different ways to increase range for different singers, that is, soprano, alto, tenor or bass. However I am only familiar with how to successfully increase a tenor's range up to a high E or even F (beyond the G specified as the highest note in Bach Chorale)