xisto Community
wariorpk

Geocities Free Webhosting Run By Yahoo

I used to have geocities when I was a n00b at webhosting. At that time when someone mentioned php, I was saying wtf. I think that geocities is pretty good for beginners. The builder is also good. But I like Xisto better. :rolleyes:

I have many opinions on this. Geocities is perfect for a newbie/noob they can easily set up their site and get going. Now geocities used to be a really awesome deal but now there are many new host that are comming out that offer a cpanel and such with php andd mysql hosting that are ad-supported. Like I said geocities is a newb paradise:) lol It is easy to use but doesn't support any advanced features like php and such. Now geocities is perfect for someone who just want to make a personal page or a advertising page, it will work greatly for them. Now if your like me and wants ad-free hosting that supports php and mysql and wants a lot of features, go somewhere else like Xisto or hostrave, I just recently signed up with hostrave and they are ad free and support php. Just in case your wanting to try hostrave heres the address:http://ww10.freehosting.hostrave.com/ now it took me about a month for the admin to reply to my form but now I have an account with them, don't ask me any questions regarding hostrave but all I know is they have been around for a lot longer than Xisto. Now since im new to it im not saying its better than Xisto because im new to hostrave, I think Xisto is better. My rating for Geocities free is mmmm I would say neutral, easy for newbs but not good for advanced people. Theres a lot of dumb people on this planet so thats why I gave it neutral since some may find it easier to use than Xisto or any other free hosts. I hope this message was informative enough to help you choose a host, I recommend Xisto.com if your advanced.

as allot of people have said here......i used geocities when i was a noob, before geocities i used AOL's Site Builder....but then i went to geocities, then i learned about HTML and made a site using that then a friend said i should use php, and so i awitched to that and here i am voicing my opinion about geocities..they suck!!there is absoloutly like no storage space i had built the site fully wanted to add one more page, but it wouldn't let me PSH..bandwidth i never had a problem with but im sure i would have run into it somteime...the ad really sucked it took up like half of the page, and with the site builder it only allowed you to make it in like a 500 wide place, it was really annoying..but wiith HTML we can make it practicly as wide as we want to although if it is too big its not a good looking site...

Yeah, Geocities is neat and they do have some fairly decent features at the user's disposal, but overall they're not that great. For one thing they've got those annoying advertisements on all their pages. Bandwidth is also an issue with GeoCities becasue you start of with barely enough to view your own page. My opinion is that while GeoCities has some good sides to its hosting services, overall I wouldn't recommend anyone but absolute beginners to the website development scene.

i think everyone seems to agree that geocities should only be used by complete beginners, I used it myself many years ago before it was all amalgamated with yahoo (i think my old url was something like geocities/Area51/411/ who remembers those days) I also used angelfire back around the same time and found their services more to my liking so i stopped using geocities and never intend to return, now i've found Xisto and now i don't need any of these anymore :huh:

now for my opnion :huh: (which agrees with everyone lol)bassicly, its good for beginners who know nothign about HTMl and stuff, and can be editted by any computer with access to the internet.but, the bandwidth is a stupid amount, and for a website with an average amout of graphics it dies after 10 unique page views lol The adds are ennoying, but at least there not popups. . . I first used this to get my graphics on the net to form a "website", but after the bandwidth limtied what i could do i moved onto Xisto.its simple and useful for begginers who don't wnat to create sites with large file sizes.

Geocities affectionately has a name amongst discussions I've had with people. Let's just say without vulgarity, I cannot say it, but it rhymes with Geocities and involves an SH.

Horrible.... one word fits all....lol I had some bad experiences with geocities.

Back in the win98 days GeoCities was pretty good and useful fot personal web sites. The GeoCities add panel is something that degrades the users site. I used to like the communities and the ability to browse subjects for other users pages.

Now a warning about registering with GeoCities.

Do not use your main email address to register for a site for Geocities and I would recommend using a disposable email address. About a year ago I played around with a Geocities website and found out that when you register your email with them that it is available for spammers web spiders that lift your email address from the registry. The end result was that the email address I registered with the Geocities web site recieved up to 1,000 spam mails a day. It got to the point where I had to delete that email address.

Is Geocities closing Millions of Free Hompages ???Geocities Free Webhosting

I received an Information by Geocities that they are closing the Free Homepages !

I have been a member for 15 years and worked hard for the Reputation

of "Color Mathematics" - the Name of my Website at Yahoo!

I believe that Yahoo's Traffic Rank Number 2 is more valuable than hunting Cash !

Even if people will pay the 12 USD Service , Traffic Rank will be far from #2.

Millions can't afford to pay for Service and all the Advantage of Famous Geocities

is lost !

The Internet is about Publicity and NOT "Cash Hunting"

Publicity is the Advantage of the Net !

Publicity gives you all the Power - Money NOT necessarily ! 

-reply by Erwin Gelber

Geocities has closed and is no longer accepting new members, and will close completely later this year. It's an interesting history for Yahoo and Geocities. As reported by the BBC, Yahoo bought Geocities in 1999, for close to $3.6 billion. That means over 10 years Geocities ended up costing Yahoo $360 million per year. Thats almost a million dollars every day for the last ten years. Thats a lot of money. Plus that doesn't include the cost of hosting and supporting all those free web sites. It doesn't seem like a good way for Yahoo to have invested their money. On the face of it this was a very bad investment decision. They could have just set up their own free web hosting service using the Yahoo branding. Although Yahoo was not the only company to make disastrous business decisions around the dot com boom year of 2000.

I never had a Geocities web site myself. Although I remember when Geociies was all the rage, and every tech savvy person had a web site on Geocities. It was like the MySpace and Facebook of its day. I do recall logging on to Geocities and just thinking it wasn't that interesting. It was very similar to Tripod. Many of the sites were true personal hobby sites, with somtimes unusual and (sometimes) fascinating topics from model railways to collections of old Apple Macs. There was something innocent and honest about both Geocities and Tripod. They were places were people unashamedly showed off their interests, creatvitity and even sometimes eccentricities. It was like a patchwork quilt of life, a keyhole through which you had a window on someone elses world.

Because of musical MySpace pages, Facebook friends and LinkedIn lovers we are all now far too sophisticated for personal hobby sites. That is unless they are about the hot new tech gadget, coolest iPhone app or latest Google gadget. I for one will mourn the passing of the homebrew, "make do and mend", honest and intriguing, internet hotch potch, that was Geocities. May she rest in peace.
Edited by Chattabox (see edit history)

Geocities has closed and is no longer accepting new members, and will close completely later this year. It's an interesting history for Yahoo and Geocities. As reported by the BBC, Yahoo bought Geocities in 1999, for close to $3.6 billion. That means over 10 years Geocities ended up costing Yahoo $360 million per year. Thats almost a million dollars every day for the last ten years. Thats a lot of money. Plus that doesn't include the cost of hosting and supporting all those free web sites. It doesn't seem like a good way for Yahoo to have invested their money. On the face of it this was a very bad investment decision. They could have just set up their own free web hosting service using the Yahoo branding. Although Yahoo was not the only company to make disastrous business decisions around the dot com boom year of 2000.
I never had a Geocities web site myself. Although I remember when Geociies was all the rage, and every tech savvy person had a web site on Geocities. It was like the MySpace and Facebook of its day. I do recall logging on to Geocities and just thinking it wasn't that interesting. It was very similar to Tripod. Many of the sites were true personal hobby sites, with somtimes unusual and (sometimes) fascinating topics from model railways to collections of old Apple Macs. There was something innocent and honest about both Geocities and Tripod. They were places were people unashamedly showed off their interests, creatvitity and even sometimes eccentricities. It was like a patchwork quilt of life, a keyhole through which you had a window on someone elses world.

Because of musical MySpace pages, Facebook friends and LinkedIn lovers we are all now far too sophisticated for personal hobby sites. That is unless they are about the hot new tech gadget, coolest iPhone app or latest Google gadget. I for one will mourn the passing of the homebrew, "make do and mend", honest and intriguing, internet hotch potch, that was Geocities. May she rest in peace.

Yea I had also heard that they was closing it's doors. the very 1st page I ever had, I had it hosted there for maybe 2 weeks before finding another site that was less of a pop up problem. Is a little suprising though that Yahell is closing it though. Maybe they have found something better or are revamping it and just are keeping it on the QT. who know?

As many people that use geocities you would think that they, yahoo would do something. Oh well thank goodness for Xisto