xisto Community
wariorpk

Geocities Free Webhosting Run By Yahoo

geocities is ok for beginners, but if you want to run any javascript or do anything other that plain html, you have to go elsewhere. The ads are really annoying and take forever to load.

Yes Geocities is more of a beginners thing...I dont really find the ads to be too long of a load, but i have highspeed so it may be different if you have dial -up.Geocities is alright for doing a page REALLY quick as its very easy to use..but like reatum said you can't do anything with javascript or anything besides html.

I used Geocities for the first site I ever built without a page builder or Frontpage.  I would still be using Geocities if they hadn't gone and made a ad that blocks 1/4th of your site. 

I never ran out of space for files, but my bandwidth was drained up quickly.  I would always upload stuff onto my site for future referrences, and when I went to go and get the files again... I wouldn't be able to access my site and I'd have to try get into File Manager.

I agree that it is great for beginners, especially since most of them don't really care about the ads or have to worry about bandwidth.  Most Geocties sites don't have a lot of visiters coming to the site unless it's been forgotten and really old.

185065[/snapback]

Yes me to i do agree this could be a great site for people who are just starting, also be great for kids with school projects, other things, but for a real professional site a BIG NO NO :) . Even tho like alot of people are posting lets get back to Xisto so i did a small chart.

Ads - Xisto No/Geocities Yes

Alot of spcae for files - Xisto Yes/Geocities Yes

Frontpage - Xisto Yes/Geocities No

Profesional Looking - Xisto Yes/Geocities No

Well you can see from there Geocities got 1/4 while Xisto got 3/4. So Xisto wins for we do not want ads so good for 3/4. Well that is my two cents on this.

Geocities would be decent but they have banner ads i can take a singl banner on top and even a additional one on buttom but when they have bar ads which have like 4-6 ads that all clash together and lag dialup vistors and gettign worse the ads take up your own bandwidth YES YOURS they now apply iframes and all against you when in reality thats not really taking up your bandwidth, Then they have the massive pop ups with adware and spyware if they screened there ads better maybee even left the bar ad made the popups popunders (which more people view anyways because they dont have the urge to close them rigth away) as to kill the amount of spyware they would most likely get more customers and make even more of the more effective logical ad methods But even novices shouldn't use then I feel they, unless changed, will die soon because the public in general is becomming more aware of spyware (although alot are still as stupid as they get) so more people are staying farther away from the spyware infested hellhole...So if you asked for my review you got it and if you didnt to bad....All in all I would recommend goign to geocities to NOBODY,Because I cant even begin to compare them to Xisto!

geocities suck.BUT, it was my VERY first website. I used a site builder haha because i was new to websites, i was in like 4th grade 4 years ago HAHA i remember staying up til 1am and i was... 10 hahah.. yupyuppp websites are uberly addictinggg.okay, anyways.. i think geocities isnt that good because it doesnt support CGI, PHP, mySQL =P yepp

Geocites is good for beginners, but not good for buisness or large website hosting. People will look down on you if you use geocites as a host XDfirst off: Space and bandwidth. The bandwidth you get would be good for like...less then 50 people a day to visit...then your site goes down for an hour X_X jeez,,,,ads: ARGH! I hate those ads! They are definatly NOT the best ones if you have iframes, really small iframes. scripts: doesn't support PHP or mysql. That's another reason why people look down on your site, even if you're really graphics experianced. So, Geocites isn't the best host ever.

i used to be hosted at geocities, i maded my first website there, with help of the page builder, of course it looks very unprofesional but what can we do, it helped me to learn to made websites, also the hosting package is very limited unlike Xisto who has greater things and its for more advanced users (who know how to use all or most of all Xisto Cpanel's feature) @@

There are a few good points to Geocities webhosting:

It is free

There is no spyware/adware as far as I know

They give you a site builder

You are signed up if you have a Yahoo account

This is what I don't like about Geocities:

The ads are annoying

The sites you create in site builder are very unprofessional

You don't get much space

You don't get much bandwidth

What do you like about Geocities? What didn't you like about Geocities? Did you have a different experience? If so I would like to hear it.

184705[/snapback]

yut, u just about summed it up lol. the site builder sucks horribly. i cant stand it at all, its just to unprofessional and gives a mediocre outcome. Their counters and guestbook wepcomponents are WAY to unstable and only work half the time. Geocities is only decent if you write all the code yourself or in frontpage and upload the files there, bypassing the site editor is CRUCIAL to make geocities tolerable. but worse of all, what REALLY drove me away from them is the ads.. its not just ads, its a complete takeover of your site.. its geocites site with alittle bit of the users. its outragous how much they do to ruin your site, first off the domain name, then the popup, then the side bar that extends over half the site, its just stupid on their part because no one wants that.... it looks very unprofessional with all the ads and bars promoting a different site, why would you promote their site, you should be able to show your true potential with webproduction.. the limited bandwidth is tolerable, but the limited space provided isnt. its just too little and the service isnt that great.. the file manager is time consuming to work with even on a fast net speed. and the uploading process has a tendancy to fail ALOT.. if they provided a decent ftp: then i wouldnt be so angry with it, id just use WS_FTP and work locally. but anyways, thats my degrading input on geocites. tah tah

There really is nothing special about geocites. I tried using it a couple years ago for a game I played and I had no Idea what I was doing. I tried using the sitebuilder to build a site and it was really wierd. The ads got really, really annoying. It had some good features though like adding on the drop down boxes and stuff without having to put in any html. When you put in a submit button though the emails you recieve were all wierd and you couldn't tell what was what. I think eveyone has really stated everything good and bad about it.

Uggh.. I have never been hosted with geocities. I didn't like it at all!! Even back then when I knew very very little html I did not give a thouht of signing up with geocities because I have seen a lot of geocities websites and most of them look very unprofessional and the ads are sooooo annoying. Whenever I see a link on a geocities site or I encounter one I get turned off easily and close the browser or change to another url.

Your entire post can be answered in one sentence: this is in the Your Review! forum. The member has the rights to do that.

Of course, common sense all tells us that no member here would ever degrade to Geocities after being hosted here. Don't you agree?

184760[/snapback]

Yeah, seriously :).

I think someone needs to read the description better.

Back on topic now:

I've made a Geocities account once...

I hated it! I didn't like how you had to make/have a Yahoo! account! It freaking hard to figure out a name that hasn't already been taken..like if you want your acc to be "example" you have to add all sorts of things like "example6541_54@457" :). I just hate hate hate it! The space is too limited too :D.